Flight Review after 11 years

Ron Hankins

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ron
Introducing myself as a new member today. My Name is Ron and I live in the Nashville area. Started flying again after 11 years off and yesterday was the first time. Did the ground portion of the flight review a week ago and attempted to do the flight portion yesterday, but weather did not cooperate. We stayed in the pattern and did 6 touch and goes and I have mixed feelings about how it went. Instructor was great and commented that he was surprised at what I had retained, but I was much more critical. Last landing was the best...I am having a problem with the site picture in a Cessna 172. I did most of the 250 hours that I have in a Diamond DA 40 so it might take a while. I am going to use an instructor for about 5 more weeks to get my review finished and shoot a couple of approaches. Man I was overwhelmed the first few time around. I would not go up by myself for anything in this world right now. Sorry for the long post but just need to vent to someone.

THX

Introducing myself as a new member today. My Name is Ron and I live in the Nashville area. Started flying again after 11 years off and yesterday was the first time. Did the ground portion of the flight review a week ago and attempted to do the flight portion yesterday, but weather did not cooperate. We stayed in the pattern and did 6 touch and goes and I have mixed feelings about how it went. Instructor was great and commented that he was surprised at what I had retained, but I was much more critical. Last landing was the best...I am having a problem with the site picture in a Cessna 172. I did most of the 250 hours that I have in a Diamond DA 40 so it might take a while. I am going to use an instructor for about 5 more weeks to get my review finished and shoot a couple of approaches. Man I was overwhelmed the first few time around. I would not go up by myself for anything in this world right now. Sorry for the long post but just need to vent to someone.

THX

Welcome to the joint. Been there, done that, after about 25 years off. Same thing, I was more critical of me than the CFI was. That post is far from 'long.' Stick around, you'll see. So how ya like looking down and seeing the sights instead of the wing?

THX
Welcome. It will come back with practice. Don't be critical on yourself, but look to each flight as an opportunity to improve on the last. It still works for me, 25 years later.

Welcome to the joint. Been there, done that, after about 25 years off. Same thing, I was more critical of me than the CFI was. That post is far from 'long.' Stick around, you'll see. So how ya like looking down and seeing the sights instead of the wing?

I think that I am still partial to the low wing aircraft. It seems to me to have better visibility, and I don't remember having to muscle the Diamond around as much. I had to re-trim constantly it seemed. Thanks for the encouragement!

I do like the head room in the Cessna and it appears to be larger inside, but it isn't. I would love to find a Commander 114B, but not enough cash. Eventually I would like to find 3 others for a fractional buy in the Nashville area. Looking at flying clubs right now and not very impressed.

Pattern work is intense. If the weather had been better, I'm sure your instructor would have started with some basic airwork out in a practice area, to get the feel of things, especially in an unfamiliar plane. That, next time, eh? It'll all come together!

Welcome!

I did the same in 2017 after a 14 year hiatus. The motor skills will come back, it's everything else that might have changed in the 11 years since you flew that may take some time. I had never heard of foreflight. My flight bag was a time capsule lol. Where you flying? JWN?

It'll probably take 1-2 hours just to get used to the different plane, assuming you started out with air work first. Don't beat yourself up too bad, it'll all come back soon, and have some fun with it too.

Welcome back. I've done a few rusty pilot FRs (they're no longer called 'BFRs') and find them rewarding. You have the skills; it will just take a little polishing to bring them back to the surface. Enjoy the process and don't be too hard on yourself. This is a perishable skill, but it will all come back to you. Be patient and have fun with it.

As everyone says, just stick with it and don't get discouraged. You will progress quickly especially after the first couple flights. I've renewed after a 20 year lapse, and then a 10. Both took about 10 hours/50 landings dual (and a lot of studying of course). It felt a lot longer when I was doing it. Next thing you know, the CFI is saying off you go! One of the best things about renewing today are all the great Youtube channels devoted to training or just inspirational. Enjoy the challenge - it's worth it!

Just wanted to share an update on the flight review process after 11 years. Ran into a plane snaffu yesterday where the plane was in maintenance and nobody let me know, so choices where a Piper Archer which I have no time in or later time slot, so I chose the later time slot but was only given a hour to complete my flight portion of the review. Slow fight, Power off and power on stalls OK and then step turns. On to turns around a point all seemed to go good. Time for 1 landing to full stop and it had to be the worst landing that I ever had. Strong crosswind followed by a bad not centerline landing so he did not sign off. I still need more landings so we will do next week and hopefully get the review finished. Then I need to start on my Instrument proficiency check. Thanks for all of the encouraging comments really means a lot!

Welcome!

I did the same in 2017 after a 14 year hiatus. The motor skills will come back, it's everything else that might have changed in the 11 years since you flew that may take some time. I had never heard of foreflight. My flight bag was a time capsule lol. Where you flying? JWN?

No I am at Smyrna class D

Welcome,I came back after 20 years. May take a few extra hours to get back,no problem. Just remember flying is supposed to be fun, with a little stress mixed in.

Just wanted to share an update on the flight review process after 11 years. Ran into a plane snaffu yesterday where the plane was in maintenance and nobody let me know, so choices where a Piper Archer which I have no time in or later time slot, so I chose the later time slot but was only given a hour to complete my flight portion of the review. Slow fight, Power off and power on stalls OK and then step turns. On to turns around a point all seemed to go good. Time for 1 landing to full stop and it had to be the worst landing that I ever had. Strong crosswind followed by a bad not centerline landing so he did not sign off. I still need more landings so we will do next week and hopefully get the review finished. Then I need to start on my Instrument proficiency check. Thanks for all of the encouraging comments really means a lot!

Sounds like not a bad flight all in all. Your going to find some changes in how Approach Charts are formatted when you start the IPC. I don't have a link to something that summarizes it all but someone may have.

I was off 20+. The first few flights I thought why is this so hard it didn't used to be. About the 3rd hour or so it started to click again. You realize there is just a lot of things that you kind of did automatically before that you have to think about now until they become automatic again. I was signed off in 7. CFI did basically a supper accelerated PPL with me touching on most of the skills.

Welcome back!

Yep, been there. 12 years for me. Quite humbling too as a lapsed instructor listening to the instructor tell me what I used to say to my students when I was instructing and the student was getting frustrated. This may make you feel better: one of my first students was a retired British Airways Concorde training captain who was coming back into flying after an extended hiatus due to medical issues. His landings were hit-and-miss for a while too...

Just wanted to share an update! I got signed off last week on the flight review, and starting the IPC work today. I signed up for Foreflight and I have been studying approach plates and filling flight plans. The software can really come in handy when looking for information, but it can also be distracting.

Anyhow, off in the wild blue yonder to get IFR current and then I am joining a flying club here in the Nashville area.

Thanks for the support!

Ron,

Welcome back to the world of flight. You will shed the rust and things will feel more natural as the muscle memory kicks back in. Good luck, and have fun!

A good contact for Commanders is Judi Anderson, she keeps info on just about everything out there. She knows the good, bad and the ugly ones.
www.SuncoastAviation.com

Gary,

I have talked to Judi several times and she has one in Houston that I am considering. I still would like to see one up close and personal though.....or maybe not! If my wife falls in love then I will have to buy.

If anyone know of one in Tennessee then I would be willing to drive to see it.

Gary,

I have talked to Judi several times and she has one in Houston that I am considering. I still would like to see one up close and personal though.....or maybe not! If my wife falls in love then I will have to buy. If anyone know of one in Tennessee then I would be willing to drive to see it.

Ask Judi to hook you up with a local owner for a ride or at least a hands on look see. Yep, if the Bride loves it you're good to go. My Bride had one want, two doors.

3tc hangared.jpg

I've been out of the cockpit for more than a year now. I miss it, but I have to focus on what I'm prioritizing at the moment. This is kinda inspiring to read about how you're getting back in there after 11 years! Stay safe and keep givin yourself that productive criticism. Fight against that complacency that humans have a tendency to lean towards sometimes. Don't forget to enjoy it. The most important part ;)

I'm sooo glad I'm not alone! I applaud your "git r done" attitude... I'm gonna go get my medical first, of course, and I'm waiting on records transfer from my old home state doc, to my current one... Get all my paperwork so I'm ready for the AME, and subsequent info requests from FAA... Then I'll worry about joining the flying club I found... Go get your IFR check and... Congrats!

@Ron Hankins I did the same thing in '17 after 11 years off. I am instrument rated also, but right after getting signed off for the flight review I started working toward my commercial. Got the commercial last Sept finally. Then got around to doing my IPC in March of this year. Still took me awhile after the flight review to get really comfortable though. I found out there is nothing better for your confidence that just flying a LOT. Welcome back!

I took about 16 years off I think. Took about 6 hours until I felt comfortable being signed off. Then Bought into a club with a 182. Needed 10 hours in that to get signed off. I remember looking at that 430w screen in the center and saying, wtf I’m I supposed to do with that!

Congratulations on getting back in the air. I took
10 years off and got signed off for my flight review on the second flight. I thought the instructor was insane since there was no way I was competent after so little time!

I liked the Sporty’s BFR and IPC videos as a refresher. Honestly, the only big change was the avionics so I found a simulator that had the same avionics as the plane I was flying (X-Plane) and would fly every approach on the sim before doing it in real life.

25 hours later, I felt comfortable in the air again, took my family for a trip and next thing I know, my wife gave me the thumbs up to buy a plane. Took me over 100 hours in the Mooney to really get comfortable, but now I love it. My wife said my mood is better too now that I’m flying again...

Great Job! How do you like the Mooney? I have been looking at them and Beechcraft. Mooneys are slick, but seem to be tight inside from the videos that I watch on youtube.

I probably have you all beat. 29 years between flying an airplane when I did my flight review... Nothing but helicopter in between.
29 years that is amazing! I turn 63 in a couple of weeks so I am looking at another 10 years or so to fly, not sure how long after that I will continue to want to do it.

flew for the first time in a year out of JWN last week. Trying to decide if I should go ahead and go for my commercial and make a career switch, which is what lead me to POA!

flew for the first time in a year out of JWN last week. Trying to decide if I should go ahead and go for my commercial and make a career switch, which is what lead me to POA!

Do it. You can't live a life of regret without making a few bad decisions. ;)

I am writing this today to share my rusty pilot experience. In May I started flying again after 11 years, and it took me 4 flights of about 1 to 1.5 hours each to get my Flight Review signed off. Then I started working on my IPC to regain my IFR Currency. After 4 flights and 3 SIM flights I was signed off on the IPC, but if I may be honest I still feel like I could do 10 more approaches and holds then maybe I might feel more at ease. The last 2 months have been overwhelming at times and after every flight I could think of something that I should have done better or just forgot. I need a lot more flight time before I tackle single pilot IFR, but it is starting to come back.

I just joined a flight club here in the Nashville area and I have a checkout on Monday for there 172's. I think that I just want to get up by myself and fly for fun for awhile, and then get a safety pilot and work on staying current. After all flying should be fun and less stress.

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated. THX

Welcome back! I just got back into the left seat after a little over 2 years of no flying. I felt like an idiot for being so rusty at so much 'simple' stuff. It took me a couple of hours to get most of the muscle memory back for basic pattern work and a few more to get to the point that I feel like I'm actually ahead of the plane and actually able to do shortcuts (routing), fiddle with radios, etc. without having to think about the flying too much. I need to get my IPC done as well, but expect that to be more work than getting the BFR signed off.

I do suggest going up by yourself to regain the feel for the plane without having to worry about someone looking over your shoulder. You're obviously 'safe' if you've got the BFR and IPC signed off, it's just a matter of you getting comfortable with your own thoughts in the plane at this point - that's best done solo.

You sound sane, thoughtful, and conscientious. Now that you are signed off, exercise your privileges and refill your experience tank. Don't be afraid to use your IFR skills: they are your safety ticket for avoiding VFR-into-IMC. IR pilots are not immune to this kind of pickle. Take a trip and file IFR to work the system, in good weather, or on a benign MVFR day. There is nothing like an IFR trip on top over a MVFR overcast to build confidence and remind you why you are rated. It is a low-workload way to get back in the swing.

I took 34 years off with only 75 hours under my belt. Nothing to it but to do it. Find a tough instructor, though, if you don't already have one.

I am writing this today to share my rusty pilot experience. In May I started flying again after 11 years, and it took me 4 flights of about 1 to 1.5 hours each to get my Flight Review signed off. Then I started working on my IPC to regain my IFR Currency. After 4 flights and 3 SIM flights I was signed off on the IPC, but if I may be honest I still feel like I could do 10 more approaches and holds then maybe I might feel more at ease. The last 2 months have been overwhelming at times and after every flight I could think of something that I should have done better or just forgot. I need a lot more flight time before I tackle single pilot IFR, but it is starting to come back.

I just joined a flight club here in the Nashville area and I have a checkout on Monday for there 172's. I think that I just want to get up by myself and fly for fun for awhile, and then get a safety pilot and work on staying current. After all flying should be fun and less stress.

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated. THX

Which flying club are you flying with? I'm signed off a 172 out at JWN and saving up some money to finish commercial training.

I join the one in Murfreesboro. They have. 2 172’s k model and an N

Back