Transponders

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Which new ADS-B compliant Transponder does every one like. Price /vs/ dependability

asking for a customer.

more compact the better

I like my Status ESG, but I think it's hard to beat any old reliable mode-c xpndr paired with a SkyBeacon...

You’re going to need to be more specific. Does your customer only care about compliance with the ADS-B out requirement or do they want the data coming in as well? Does the airplane currently have a WASS GPS source installed?

It’s hard to beat the GTX335 or 345 as a single box to take care of ADS-B and mode C requirements.

You’re going to need to be more specific. Does your customer only care about compliance with the ADS-B out requirement or do they want the data coming in as well? Does the airplane currently have a WASS GPS source installed?

It’s hard to beat the GTX335 or 345 as a single box to take care of ADS-B and mode C requirements.
Don't forget the 375

Don't forget the 375

That’s an option as well. The only reason I omitted it was because of the “compact” requirement. But it may be more compact than a separate GPS and transponder would be, if space is limited and both devices are desired.

Couldn't use the SkyBeacon on my wingtips due to the design, so going with the Stratus ESG in two weeks. Looking forward to the new Xpndr.

Cheers,
Brian

Stratus ESG or 335.

If you want compact and low power the Trig TT22 is go to unit.

Edit: perhaps I should specify it is a full transmit power (250Watt) unit.
But does it drawing less than 25% of the power that most other transponders use.

Very useful when operating it off a battery, But Tom didn't specify any power limitations.

Brian

Last edited:
OBTW
the aircraft has nothing in it now.

GNX375 kills two birds with one stone if you need WAAS, too

I went for the NGT9000 which has an independent screen and WAAS redundancy for a nice panel solution for ADSB IN. Talks to a wide variety of equipment, including Avidyne. Install cost is comparable to the Garmin 345, except the NGT9000 has it's own screen and includes ATAS and wifi module for EFB display.

GNX375 kills two birds with one stone if you need WAAS, too

I went for the NGT9000 which has an independent screen and WAAS redundancy for a nice panel solution for ADSB IN. Talks to a wide variety of equipment, including Avidyne. Install cost is comparable to the Garmin 345, except the NGT9000 has it's own screen and includes ATAS and wifi module for EFB display.

How does the cost compare on the 9000 vs. the GNX 375? (assuming install is equal)

How does the cost compare on the 9000 vs. the GNX 375? (assuming install is equal)

The two boxes are an apples to oranges comparison. The 375 gets you a WASS IFR gps that doubles as a navigation box. The 9000 doesn’t have that capability. The other options being tossed around in this thread are simply transponders, some of which have a built in GPS to provide position information rather than relying on an outside source.

The other options being tossed around in this thread are simply transponders, some of which have a built in GPS to provide position information rather than relying on an outside source.
That's all he needs.

That's all he needs.

Personally, I’d look at the gtx335 or 345, or possibly the Stratus in that case. All three of those have the option for a built in GPS position source. The Garmin options are nice as well because Garmin also sells an altitude encoder that will bolt to the tray and has 4 wires to hook up. Simple and clean.

I like the Garmin 345 but recently flew with the NGT9000. I liked the added screens on the 9000, very good graphical displays overlaid on a moving map.

The GNX 375 will be considerably more expensive, I think, but it also a GPS navigator as well as a transponder, which is a lot more capability. I got my NGT-9000 installed, complete, for $7000, and that includes ATAS and wifi module for traffic and WX display on your EFB. If you use an experienced dealer who has done a ton of them, the install costs will not be so high. ADS-B units are not that expensive, but labor costs can mount if your installer is learning on your nickel.

I like the Garmin 345 but recently flew with the NGT9000. I liked the added screens on the 9000, very good graphical displays overlaid on a moving map.

I've wondered if the screen on the 9000 is a bit small for all the information it is trying to display, including optional active traffic?

Another vote for Stratus ESG. You asked price vs dependability and they are reasonably priced and VERY dependable. It was also brought up if he wanted in and out and did he have WAAS GPS. Stratus has 3 options. Panel mount with using customer WAAS GPS, one with built in WAAS and also a remote hard wired ADSB IN if desired.

Cannot beat the deal on the Stratus ESG....wierdjim offers a discount to eaa and aopa members.
And weirdjim NEVER checks to see if the person is really a member or not...:cheerswine: I've got one in the 182 and really like it. Somewhere around $2190 including the TSO GPS antenna. Including shipping from North Dakota. Right now 5 week lead time.

Jim

BB5511D1-2D2A-4A6F-B2AB-97B66C28FDFC.jpeg
We just put a LYNx NGT9000 in our plane and it was a very nice upgrade. The on screen weather and traffic right on the transponder is a nice addition to a panel that only has a small GPS. It is like adding a transponder and an MFD - but the price is more than Toms customer is looking for. The price of the Stratus Jim quoted above is hard to beat.
Tom - I have a Garmin 330 that we pulled out of the panel. It could be upgraded to the ES if they have a WAAS source. Again - I think it is hard to beat the stratus when you can get a new one for a few $$ more than it costs to convert the 330..

I've wondered if the screen on the 9000 is a bit small for all the information it is trying to display, including optional active traffic?

The NGT9000 screen is slightly smaller and higher in resolution than the GNS430.

And weirdjim NEVER checks to see if the person is really a member or not...:cheerswine: I've got one in the 182 and really like it. Somewhere around $2190 including the TSO GPS antenna. Including shipping from North Dakota. Right now 5 week lead time.

Jim
Jim, I have an old at50 in my warrior so the best solution is to go with a new transponder. It's down to to esg or the garmin. As I hate garmins business model I'm leaning toward the esg. My only concern is that after 2020 is stratus's market share strong enough to keep them in business. I don't want to install a unit that my be orphaned if their sales after 2020 cannot keep them around. Since you deal with them on a higher level do you feel they are on solid ground with their market plan?

Jim, I have an old at50 in my warrior so the best solution is to go with a new transponder. It's down to to esg or the garmin. As I hate garmins business model I'm leaning toward the esg. My only concern is that after 2020 is stratus's market share strong enough to keep them in business. I don't want to install a unit that my be orphaned if their sales after 2020 cannot keep them around. Since you deal with them on a higher level do you feel they are on solid ground with their market plan?
I do, and the reason I do is that Appareo is a rather diversified company. Aviation is a small yet significant part of their business. I felt good enough to buy one (no, they don't give their dealers any break on the dealer's own airplane) at my "full discounted list" for myself.

I detest Garmin with a passion bordering on ... pick something.

Jim

thanks jim. i will probably be getting ahold of you in the next couple of months then to order one.

Many (most) of the transponders out there are Trig with another brands name plate and various options. Get a trig.

Another vote for the NGT9000. Avidyne also has a promotion where you can get a discount when purchasing an NGT9000 with an IFD.

I had an NGT-9000 installed in the Bonanza in May 2017. After a year in use and just over 150 flight hours, the touch screens failed. L3/Lynx was fantastic with getting a new unit sent to me over night (still under warranty thankfully....) and I was back up in less than a week with zero issues until I sold the plane. However, the tech department could not figure out what caused the failure. The good news was ATC was still getting my data (I was on an IFR flight), so it was limited to the screens. Simply couldn't change the Xpndr code or swap any of the traffic/weather pages. Resetting the unit didn't do anything either.

So, while I loved the product and hope it was an isolated anomaly, I'm reluctant enough to spend that kind of money again and went with the push buttons instead. Just throwing this out there for those that have them already or thinking about them, just keep an eye on it. Thinking back, I did start to notice the fringes where getting harder to push/activate prior to the failure, so it appears there were some minor signs occurring with the unit before the total failure.

Cheers,
Brian

Back