Do you have a real ID?

Nope, you misunderstood. The topic was what to use in lieu of Real ID, not how to obtain it.
It's wrong if you're talking about getting through airport security as well. There are non-federal approved things other than Real ID licenses. Biggest problem with the birth certificate is no photo.

FWIW.....

I got my REAL ID from a guy on Craigslist. He swore it's legit, and that's what I''ll tell em too!

Wife and I just got our Real ID and TSA Pre check. We fly several times a year, but not internationally so didn't go for Global Entry. I do have a passport, but really don't feel like carrying it just to clear TSA.

I did think about just getting a gold star sticker and putting on my license, but didn't think TSA would have a sense of humor.

I never understood the Global Entry thing. I thought it was something that benefited non-US residents. Just last month I returned from SE Asia, and my trip through passport control was like thirty seconds.

I never understood the Global Entry thing. I thought it was something that benefited non-US residents. Just last month I returned from SE Asia, and my trip through passport control was like thirty seconds.

It’s not the time at the customs agents that takes much time, it’s waiting in line with the other 200+ people who just got off of your flight all trying to get to the same half-dozen customs agents, lol. I’ve never had it take more than 30 seconds once I make it to them at Dulles or DFW. GE/Nexus allows you to side step the long line and jump to the front/dedicated customs agent.

If You Live in One of These Nine States, You'll Need Your Passport to Fly Anywhere
  • Kentucky.
  • Maine.
  • Minnesota.
  • Missouri.
  • Montana.
  • Oklahoma.
  • Pennsylvania.
  • South Carolina.

If You Live in One of These Nine States, You'll Need Your Passport to Fly Anywhere
  • Kentucky.
  • Maine.
  • Minnesota.
  • Missouri.
  • Montana.
  • Oklahoma.
  • Pennsylvania.
  • South Carolina.

DHS has given pax until Oct 1, 2020 to get a Real ID license. After that date, pax will need Real ID or need to use another form of acceptable ID (like a passport).

Those States above might end up Real ID compliant by Oct 2020, but aren't right now.

MO (in the list above): currently does not have Real ID licenses and will begin issuing Real ID licenses starting next week.

KS (me): started issuing Real ID licenses a week or so after I renewed mine for another 6 years. So I have until Oct 2020 to convert it or I will have to use my passport.

Got mine last month since I had to get my license renewed anyway. No big deal in Ca....passport and a Spektrum bill to prove address.....they held up a photo of Mao Tse Tung and I didn't salute so passed with flying colors......

• Kentucky.
  • Maine.
  • Minnesota.
  • Missouri.
  • Montana.
  • Oklahoma.
  • Pennsylvania.
  • South Carolina.
In Washington State you'll need the "Enhanced" DL to qualify. The non-Real ID license is still the default.

Ron Wanttaja

Just renewed my DL to the Real ID. Not to bad good thing I copied the check list. $40 in AK. The non laminated SS card thru me for a loop (mine is laminated),had to use my W-2
upload_2019-6-7_11-36-7.png

Good reminder on the bump: I was going to check my passport expiration date last night and forgot.

Just renewed my DL to the Real ID. Not to bad good thing I copied the check list. $40 in AK. The non laminated SS card thru me for a loop (mine is laminated),had to use my W-2
View attachment 74697

My first Alaska drivers license looked like I made it myself.

Funny thing, my SS card has on it...."Not to be used for ID Purposes"....

Haven't got mine yet, will use my pasaporta. The people here in komnifornia that went in and got theirs right off the bat have to go back and have a re-do, the dmv F'd up on the requirements.lol
I'll wait until the lines die down here, no way in hell will I wait in line for over 2 hours, or make a appointment 60 days in the future to still wait for 30+minutes.....

I use my TWIC card. I only had one time they even batted an eye and that was when the TSA was spread thin during the government shutdown. The only other time they ever said anything was when I was out in the middle of the country somewhere and the TDC checker says they don't get many of them out there. (A TWIC card is sort of like a SIDA badge for sea ports).

I wasn't going to stand in line and so I renewed by mail. Dumbest thing about Michigan is I had to do the background check and prove I was a citizen to get my concealed pistol license. They use the exact same picture on that is and it is tied to my driver's license but they can't transfer over that I'm a US citizen from my CPL to my DL. Stupid and incompetent.

A couple states, a few years back, were more than loose about issuing ID and DL's - there was a cottage industry of running illegals down from NY to MD to get IDs and DL's, for instance. Made the Feds nervous, like when presented for ID on entering Fed buildings, for military recruiting, etc.

Oregon is taking their time for RealID compliance... But should have it done in time.

Of course, this trip I got to the airport and realized I didn't even have my drivers license... left it on the scanner at home after having to email a copy for something. Luckily apparently even the TSA in Podunk,OR understands a US Passport.

A couple states, a few years back, were more than loose about issuing ID and DL's - there was a cottage industry of running illegals down from NY to MD to get IDs and DL's, for instance. Made the Feds nervous, like when presented for ID on entering Fed buildings, for military recruiting, etc.
Actually the biggest busts for fake IDs was in VA, which allowed people to get a VA license who lived in another state. That was the deal, there were a few hundred people who all had the same addresses... this was repeated for years till greed made someone squeal. I forget the details but basically one thief went to the police because another thief stole some of cash....

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

In Washington State you'll need the "Enhanced" DL to qualify. The non-Real ID license is still the default.

Ron Wanttaja

And they charge an arm and a leg for the "extra" service, too. I'll stick with my passport (which I need several times a year, anyway).

I wasn't going to stand in line and so I renewed by mail. Dumbest thing about Michigan is I had to do the background check and prove I was a citizen to get my concealed pistol license. They use the exact same picture on that is and it is tied to my driver's license but they can't transfer over that I'm a US citizen from my CPL to my DL. Stupid and incompetent.

Typical government. In Washington they're two different parts of government, so I can understand why they don't talk to each other here.

Federal program and requirements.

Maryland has announced that they may have to revoke 43,000 driver licenses with Real ID. Why? Because they checked the documents but didn't scan and store images of the identity documents. So despite having done the checks, because they didn't keep a dossier on the applicants it can't be Real ID.

What a fuster cluck.

And how is it that the same old failed pizza delivery drivers checking the new Real ID drivers licenses is going to improve the safety of commercial flight again?

HEY! They have made amazing improvements at the S.ofS. office. It used to take a good hour and a half to two hours to go in for anything. Now you are in and out in about 90 to 120 minutes.

Had to renew earlier this year, it was either round up some documents and go to the DMV, or go online and pay $5 and have it shipped to the house. Screw it, I'll use my passport, not like I use it for anything else anyway

It's wrong if you're talking about getting through airport security as well. There are non-federal approved things other than Real ID licenses. Biggest problem with the birth certificate is no photo.

Good point, I look nothing like I did the day I was born..."sir, it says here you weigh 9 lbs 8 ounces and are only 14" tall, did you recently grow that beard?"

Good point, I look nothing like I did the day I was born..."sir, it says here you weigh 9 lbs 8 ounces and are only 14" tall, did you recently grow that beard?"
I showed up at a local military base to visit the museum, and had to submit my ID to get a pass. Forgot I'd lost 70 pounds since my driver's license photo....

Ron Wanttaja

I always try to convince people that one of the guys on my pilot certificate is me. I don't know who the bald guy is though.

The only down side I’ve found with Global Entry is that I’m almost always traveling with someone that doesn’t have it, either extended family or my kids. The one time I used it was because we knew the parking situation was going to be a nightmare so it made more sense for me to ditch the wife and kids and go get the car. Otherwise I figure I can either wait in line with the family or wait for them afterward. Might as well stick together.

I originally got global entry due to a project in Canada and it was great. Well, until a Canadian with my same name got a warrant and then they had to pull me out my every week and do the extra interview. I agree, the few times I have traveled with family, we just stick together and I lose the ability.

Now my projects are in the US, but the global entry ID card is used by TSA instead of my drivers license. That means no special trip for me for RealID, I can wait until my current license expires and go renew then.

• Kentucky.
  • Maine.
  • Minnesota.
  • Missouri.
  • Montana.
  • Oklahoma.
  • Pennsylvania.
  • South Carolina.
One of these nine states count as a twofer?

When I last renewed my California driver license I got the RealID version. While I was at it, I got "Veteran" added.

Back