[NA]ENC, bluetooth headset for mowing[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is there a headset with good active noise reduction and passive noise rejection, which will allow one to listen to music wirelessly from an iphone?

Prefer something robust, ie can survive a 3' fall to concrete; and won't urp all its electrons at the hint of rain.

The Bose QC series can do this for sure.

But I've also had some success with "off brand" ones in the $60-$90 range.

I bought my wife the Bluetooth Bose back a few years ago and it is great. She has the non ANR one.
She mainly uses it when we fly the Cub or Stearman to listen to music since those planes don't have intercoms.

If you’re using it while mowing/doing outdoor work, I’d go for earbuds vs anything on/in-ear. Sweat will muck up the ear pads quickly.

If you’re using it while mowing/doing outdoor work, I’d go for earbuds vs anything on/in-ear. Sweat will muck up the ear pads quickly.

I have a pair of older DC ANRs that I used for at least 100 hours flying a very noisy tractor around a 3 acre meadow. Gunk just wiped off, no problem. Oh, I also flew with them, too.

No earbud I have found fits my (evidently) non-standard ears. Fortunately, the older generation DC Headclamps don't bother me. -Skip

Etymotic

I have an older set I've been using for motorcycling for years. With the foam tips they have nearly the same NRR noise reduction as pure foam plugs plugs, and the sound is very good. The higher end ones are quite accurate and sound awesome. The only downside is they must be properly and deeply seated in your ears. Some people say this bothers them but I wear them for 8-9hr long rides no issues. Great for airline flights as well, blocks out conversation and most of the engine noise, and the in flight movies sound fantastic. Let your pocketbook and audio quality needs dictate the model.

Last edited:
I have a pair of older DC ANRs that I used for at least 100 hours flying a very noisy tractor around a 3 acre meadow. Gunk just wiped off, no problem. Oh, I also flew with them, too.

No earbud I have found fits my (evidently) non-standard ears. Fortunately, the older generation DC Headclamps don't bother me. -Skip

Right, but for me personally, I don't like having something clamped over my ears while I am out sweating in the sun. Traps a lot of heat your body is trying to release. There are earbuds which have all different methods of attaching to ears, or even those with a neck band. I run with a pair of Sennheisers similar to the OCX 686 which fits/works well for me when jogging, but it isn't bluetooth. If my Sennheisers ever fail, I might look at something like the JLab Audio Epic Air Elite earbuds. I like the ear-hook style rather than the friction-fit due to staying in place when being jarred while working out. With earbuds, you really don't need ANR, either.

521619-jlab-epic-air-elite.jpg

Would like to see a pic of you mowing with DC's. :)

Etymotic

I have an older set I've been using for motorcycling for years. With the foam tips they have nearly the same NRR noise reduction as pure foam plugs plugs, and the sound is very good. The higher end ones are quite accurate and sound awesome. The only downside is they must be properly and deeply seated in your ears. Some people say this bothers them but I wear them for 8-9hr long rides no issues. Great for airline flights as well, blocks out conversation and most of the engine noise, and the in flight movies sound fantastic. Let your pocketbook and audio quality needs dictate the model.

I had a set as well which I used for motorcycling and biking. They were fairly effective, and when the first set broke, I bought another newer one that had the little button controls on the wire. They just came that way. Bad product. Randomly, the volume on my iphone would go up to full and I'd have to stop and yank them out of my ears. What was going on was that sweat was getting in to the controls when I was biking, and shorting them out. In retrospect, I should have just wrapped the module with electrical tape, but I tried cutting it out and splicing. That didn't work at all.

Now I just use a $20 set of Sony earbuds, which are less than a third of the price and sound better. They don't have the same noise reduction as the Etymotics, but otherwise work better and are a little more robust.

I've mowed the yard with my lightspeeds. Plugged my phone into it and off I went with music. I looked cool too!

I've mowed the yard with my lightspeeds. Plugged my phone into it and off I went with music. I looked cool too!

You must be a dad, as only a dad would look cool mowing his grass while wearing avaition headsets. Must color coordinate with the plaid shorts, white socks, and black dress shoes though.

I wear a lightweight home depot noise protection headset when mowing. I tried a pair of bluetooth earbugs once. Only once. I ducked under branches when I went around a tree, a branch hooked the earbud wire and yanked them backward out of my ears hard. Never again. Headset over my ear is fine, they just slide off if something hooks them. But I don't want anything inside my ear that can get hooked and yanked out at weird angles.

Like the OP, I'd be interested in some kind of ANR headset with bluetooth for mowing. But I don't think I'd be comfortable spending Bose kind of money on something that could get yanked off and run over.

I wear a lightweight home depot noise protection headset when mowing. I tried a pair of bluetooth earbugs once. Only once. I ducked under branches when I went around a tree, a branch hooked the earbud wire and yanked them backward out of my ears hard. Never again. Headset over my ear is fine, they just slide off if something hooks them. But I don't want anything inside my ear that can get hooked and yanked out at weird angles.

Like the OP, I'd be interested in some kind of ANR headset with bluetooth for mowing. But I don't think I'd be comfortable spending Bose kind of money on something that could get yanked off and run over.

I generally keep all bushes/trees trimmed up so that I don't have to duck when mowing. That said, I don't wear any headsets/hearing protection when mowing. :)

A lot of folks on YouTube channels I watch use/recommend/are sponsored by ISOtunes. I'm cheap so I went with these Aukey ones that pop up on Amazon via Slickdeals for $16 every so often. They seem to be holding up well with all the sweat, dust, and grease I've exposed them to so far.

A couple of notes:
Need bluetooth, and no wires so the aviation idea is out.
Oh and this is riding mower; no sweat involved.

I had not considered the in-ear type.
These have electronic or active noise cancelling?

A couple of notes:
Need bluetooth, and no wires so the aviation idea is out.
Oh and this is riding mower; no sweat involved.

I had not considered the in-ear type.
These have electronic or active noise cancelling?

There are models available with ANR, but with my non-ANR ear buds I can't hardly pickup the sound of a car driving by until it's right next to me. The fact that they block your ear canal provides enough passive noise-reduction that there isn't likely much need for ANR. Bose, Jabra, Sony, etc. all make models of earbuds with ANR if you really want it. They're just generally a bit more cumbersome than their non-ANR counterparts because of the need for a housing for the ANR electronics and additional battery size needs.

You must be a dad, as only a dad would look cool mowing his grass while wearing avaition headsets. Must color coordinate with the plaid shorts, white socks, and black dress shoes though.
Nope not a dad....My wife thought I was the biggest nerd though. Hahaha

Back