Finally got my IFR cross country done!

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
After 3 months of training, my CFI passing away, 6 months off for lack of another CFI, I FINALLY got my IFR cross country completed. Of course it was the one day in the last month that it's been clear and a million but that's what foggles are for. KFOD - KCBF - KDSM - KFOD. Nice smooth flight with nothing major going wrong. Coming into KDSM we got cleared for the ILS on 5 and asked to maintain maximum speed. My instructor asked if I could shoot the approach at maximum speed and told him I'd try and could always go missed. Long story short we flew it at about 150 mph and followed the glide slope down at 1100 feet per minute. (Easy and fun to do in the hershey bar Arrow). Pulled off the runway and looked behind us to see an A320 on short final. With his rollout he beat us to the terminal. Then got to watch a C130 land as we were leaving. Great trip. Now I just need to tighten up a few things, possibly do a mock check ride, and schedule the real thing. I'm super excited and can't wait.

Well done! Mine was similar, as was my checkride. I couldn't fly the ILS at my local airport and had to discontinue the ride because of that. Knocked out everything else. Had to wait for a break in the weather, but the skies cleared, the planets eventually aligned and all the requirements were met.

I have my cross country dual, solo etc all done, apart from the night cross country I even have the commercial requirements met. Only if someone would kick my lazy arse to get the written for IR done. Sigh

My IFR cross country is scheduled for 6/12. W29 -> KGED (VOR) -> KABE (ILS) -> W29 (RNAV). Looking forward to it. Did my written last year, but once or twice per week is definitely the slow way to get the rest done. Probably the hardest thing I've ever done, but the most satisfying. I love breaking out and the runway's right there.

I have my cross country dual, solo etc all done, apart from the night cross country I even have the commercial requirements met. Only if someone would kick my lazy arse to get the written for IR done. Sigh

The Sheppard Air Instrument test prep software helped me a TON on the written.

After 3 months of training, my CFI passing away, 6 months off for lack of another CFI, I FINALLY got my IFR cross country completed. Of course it was the one day in the last month that it's been clear and a million but that's what foggles are for. KFOD - KCBF - KDSM - KFOD. Nice smooth flight with nothing major going wrong. Coming into KDSM we got cleared for the ILS on 5 and asked to maintain maximum speed. My instructor asked if I could shoot the approach at maximum speed and told him I'd try and could always go missed. Long story short we flew it at about 150 mph and followed the glide slope down at 1100 feet per minute. (Easy and fun to do in the hershey bar Arrow). Pulled off the runway and looked behind us to see an A320 on short final. With his rollout he beat us to the terminal. Then got to watch a C130 land as we were leaving. Great trip. Now I just need to tighten up a few things, possibly do a mock check ride, and schedule the real thing. I'm super excited and can't wait.

Nicely done! What did you file? (I'm starting my Instrument training I'm curious to see what other people file for IFR xcountries)

For mine -

KFDK EMI V265 RASHE KUNV for the RNAV at State College (we stopped and got out to stretch and bio break) KUNV BENJE KLBE - Shot the ILS at Latrobe PA to the missed approach - KLBE HGR FDK to the VOR-A at Fredrick MD.

275 straight line miles but took 4.1 hours with a hold and positioning ourselves for the approaches and then ATC sending us departing in the wrong directions for the next leg.

Nicely done! What did you file? (I'm starting my Instrument training I'm curious to see what other people file for IFR xcountries)
My instructor wanted me to file 3 separate legs just to get used to filing so since I don't have GPS and have to file /U, the first leg was KFOD FOD V138 ORV KCBF. We got as filed and when we got close we requested vectors to the approach we wanted. Second leg was KCBF ORV V6 DSM KDSM. We were originally given direct KDSM and this is a spot I screwed up. I should have said unable due to equipment but accepted the clearance. Had to go back and request the VOR routing. The final leg I went KDSM DSM V505 FOD KFOD. This one we were given direct GUMBO (intersection of 2 VOR radials) then as filed. Great experience, looking forward to the next one.

Back