Real Estate Prices in Montana

It's simple math, the steeper the land the more it is per acre. Surveying is done on a flat plane. So if you buy the side of a mountain that's at 60 degrees, you're getting twice the amount of property you paid for!:cool:
Hmmm... Maybe that's why my plat says 8.9 acres... "give or take"

I was [am] also looking for some acreage in MT or WY. I noticed that the prices are proportional to the inverse square of the distance from the nearest shopping.

Actually I am seeing exactly the opposite. A large number of the Cali’s appear to be alt right and that is frightening. There is a significant Redoubt movement that has arrived and most of them are Cali’s. The local GOP is dominated by former Cali’s and they recently demanded that the State Department grant a visa to an Australian man with links to the New Zealand shooter so he can marry his alt-right girlfriend who lives in Post Falls. I lived through the neo-Nazi era in Hayden and Coeur d’Alene in the 1980’s ( and I would point out most of those people were from somewhere else) and had a client whose business was targeted by those people and burned down. I have no desire to see a return of that cultural mindset yet it seems to be creeping back albeit in a different form.

Yeah. In the context of this thread, folk with buckets of money buying in and driving up Real Estate prices, it’s more of a right leaning thing. As far as the ‘alt right’ thing goes, they were just one of the demographics pandered to and manipulated to gain the votes needed to legislate in a bucket filling way.

Last edited:
Sounds just like Class B airports jacking up the price of 100LL to keep the (GA) riff raff out.

Is it some sort of fungus that affects voting behavior ?

That I don't know. It seems that the problem exists in major metropolitan areas. Perhaps too many people in too little space causes them to vote away freedom?

Actually I am seeing exactly the opposite. A large number of the Cali’s appear to be alt right and that is frightening. There is a significant Redoubt movement that has arrived and most of them are Cali’s. The local GOP is dominated by former Cali’s and they recently demanded that the State Department grant a visa to an Australian man with links to the New Zealand shooter so he can marry his alt-right girlfriend who lives in Post Falls. I lived through the neo-Nazi era in Hayden and Coeur d’Alene in the 1980’s ( and I would point out most of those people were from somewhere else) and had a client whose business was targeted by those people and burned down. I have no desire to see a return of that cultural mindset yet it seems to be creeping back albeit in a different form.

Wrong.....Northern Idaho/the panhandle constitute 18% of Idaho's population. The remainder of the population base, the southern part of the state, is being overrun by liberals who are primarily from California and Idahoans do not like it. The instance you refer to above is an outlier and can happen anywhere. And lets put the neo nazi "stamp" into perspective. One guy started the Aryan nations in the early 70's in northern Idaho and built what he called a "compound" outside of Hayden. Beyond the annual Aryan meeting held there that typically had 150-200 people attend, a small (like 10-15 people) amount of folks actually lived at the compound. You are attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill like most of you types do.

Actually I am seeing exactly the opposite. A large number of the Cali’s appear to be alt right and that is frightening.

"Alt Right is a made up term, supported by the media to indicate anyone who is not a leftist. I'll be polite and agree that folks from Californistan can screw up any region...

4th generation native Californian here. We moved back to the state a couple of times for jobs, but finally escaped for good in 1995. I'll go back to visit, but I'll never move back. The lunatics are running the asylum.

That is scary.

That last comment is the problem. The state of Washington is beautiful, but the idiots in those three counties are ruining it for the rest of us.
That’s why we have an electoral college. For now at least...

If the far left 'Green Deal' becomes more than a pipe dream, kiss general aviation goodbye. Might as well move to Venezuela which will be your new private Idaho ;)

That I don't know. It seems that the problem exists in major metropolitan areas. Perhaps too many people in too little space causes them to vote away freedom?

We did a study with rats in lab when I was in school.
The nuts and bolts of it was when too many rats were placed in a more confined area they would start to exhibit odd disturbing behaviors. Must be the same for people in large crowded cities...............

Last edited:
Wrong.....Northern Idaho/the panhandle constitute 18% of Idaho's population. The remainder of the population base, the southern part of the state, is being overrun by liberals who are primarily from California and Idahoans do not like it. The instance you refer to above is an outlier and can happen anywhere. And lets put the neo nazi "stamp" into perspective. One guy started the Aryan nations in the early 70's in northern Idaho and built what he called a "compound" outside of Hayden. Beyond the annual Aryan meeting held there that typically had 150-200 people attend, a small (like 10-15 people) amount of folks actually lived at the compound. You are attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill like most of you types do.
Like I said in an earlier post, Idaho ends just south of McCall. Rest of that is Northern Utah, particularly when you get over to Idaho Falls. But you are right, Boise is attracting a lot of the Silicon Valley industries and has so since JR Simplot became the majority shareholder in Micron. With them come the Cali’s and all of their culture including for some reason gangs. I am told by a number of law enforcement friends that both Boise and Salt Lake City have had to develop liaisons with the Los Angeles PD to better understand gangs, gang behavior and culture. Very sad for those two cities.

McCall to me seems like a little Lake Tahoe. I haven’t spent much time there but did enjoy visiting it. When in Idaho I usually stay around Cambridge, nothing big city about that town.

Back