Airworthiness Certificate

Daniel L

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
My plane is a 1974. When I was showing the certificate to my CFI for checkout flights I realized that it had an appearance that it was printed on the original Declaration of Independence or a dead sea scroll, torn off, then laminated.

I called my local FSDO to ask what I need to do for a new one.

A letter with a justification, your name, model, serial number, year, signed and dated. Then taken to the FSDO with the original.

They mail the original to Virginia and you wait for the replacement in the mail.

That's right, they keep the original.

He insinuated that for planes that old people tend to want to keep the original for the cool factor. So, he's right. I really didn't think they'd want to trade the old one for the new one. So I'm having second thoughts.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I will leave this here. Its appropriate.

6E2F2F5D-E20A-4CA6-83FD-F58DEEFF887E.gif

Its a 74 not a 34.

Better not haul that rusted out Pinto you have sitting out back to the junkyard, either.

An ASI from the FSDO can issue you a new one at their office. Nothing goes to Virginia. A copy of the replacement certificate goes to OKC. The procedure is the same whether the old one is damaged, illegible, or LOST.

What FSDO are you working with?

An ASI from the FSDO can issue you a new one at their office. Nothing goes to Virginia. A copy of the replacement certificate goes to OKC. The procedure is the same whether the old one is damaged, illegible, or LOST.

I e-mail my PMI with the standard form letter. he mails the new one out that day.

Keep in mind that the replacement will be marked "R" for "Replacement", so you'll lose the cool factor. Everyone will know it's not original.

My local one in Sacramento. I decided against doing it. I can't fly without my cert in the plane. He said it gets shipped to oklahoma city and gets replaced. I thought he said virginia, it's OKC.

I didn't do anything to the certificate. That's how it came when I bought the plane.

It's all in pieces and there's missing parts of the cert. It's legible though so I'm keeping it.

Honestly, it looks like it survived WWII.

Keep in mind that the replacement will be marked "R" for "Replacement", so you'll lose the cool factor. Everyone will know it's not original.
Im not laughing. No not at all.

My local one in Sacramento. I decided against doing it. I can't fly without my cert in the plane. He said it gets shipped to oklahoma city and gets replaced. I thought he said virginia, it's OKC.

I didn't do anything to the certificate. That's how it came when I bought the plane.

It's all in pieces and there's missing parts of the cert. It's legible though so I'm keeping it.

Honestly, it looks like it survived WWII.

Send the form letter in to your FSDO they mail you another one. the ones that are missing are not returned how will they know?

Its a 74 not a 34.

Better not haul that rusted out Pinto you have sitting out back to the junkyard, either.
I don't get it.

Daniel, I got a new one for my Viking.
It looks much better than the clapped out original.
Not that a single person will ever notice or care.

Unless the original is tattered or unreadable, no reason to mess with it.

There's other things out there for you to mess with. This isn't one.
Everything is for me to mess with, including things as small as my airworthiness certificate. It's my airplane and my responsibility. Thank you for playing.

Daniel, I got a new one for my Viking.
It looks much better than the clapped out original.
Not that a single person will ever notice or care.
Be careful, people may tell you to concern yourself with other things. Shhhhh.

So? I don’t get the cool factor. I imagine there’s quite a bit on the plane that isn’t original. And remember if a certificate is lost, it gets replaced via the same process.

Either I’m totally misreading something or some folks are a little slow on the uptake.

Yes, the current one gets shipped to OKC with a copy of the new one. But you do not have to wait for a new one to come from OKC. Your FSDO will issue it on the spot. Just email the ASI the form and make a reservation to pick the new one up.

You are making this a far bigger and more difficult deal than it is.

and once that "R" is stamped on the new one.....it'll lose at least $15K in value. o_O

A few years ago I bought a plane with a missing AWC. I had to fill out form 8130-6 and bring it to the FSDO, and they issued me a replacement on the spot. They did want to see the logbooks, but this was an experimental.

A couple of weeks ago I wanted a new AWC for another experimental to get updated operating limitations (which are part of the AWC for an experimental). I filled out the form, with a letter explaining what I wanted, and after a series of back and forth emails working out the details, two guys from the MIDO met me at my home field to exchange the paperwork. In both cases, no waiting.

So? I don’t get the cool factor. I imagine there’s quite a bit on the plane that isn’t original. And remember if a certificate is lost, it gets replaced via the same process.

Either I’m totally misreading something or some folks are a little slow on the uptake.

Yes, the current one gets shipped to OKC with a copy of the new one. But you do not have to wait for a new one to come from OKC. Your FSDO will issue it on the spot. Just email the ASI the form and make a reservation to pick the new one up.

You are making this a far bigger and more difficult deal than it is.
The cool factor thing was a silly joke. My certificate was laminated at some point in the past because it was severely tattered and torn.

What I mentioned were directly what the certification guy told me at my FSDO. So I got incorrect information from him, which is surprising to say the least.

I will worry about the certificate at some point. Just don't have time to deal with it atm.

I still have my R/T Operator permit. Don’t think I can get a replacement.

Cheers

I don't get it.

You were worried about the cool factor of an airworthiness certificate for a 74 Viking, it's like worrying about the cool factor of a rusted-out rusted out Pinto. Now if it were from something from the 30's...

When I did it, they wanted to see the logbooks. So you open yourself and the plane up to unnecessary scrutiny, so unless you absolutely have to, I wouldn't mess with it.

laminates all of them.
I know of 3 Part 135 helicopter companies with over 350 aircraft combined that have laminated aircraft AWCs and registrations. There was an FAA LOI years ago on laminating a pilot certificate was an alteration and according to the LOI it was not. However, it appears whether or not it is an alteration is very subjective to the ASI who looks at that certificate. So YMMV.

and once that "R" is stamped on the new one.....it'll lose at least $15K in value. o_O
But if you put an eyepatch over one side of the windshield and paint the nose so it looks like the airplane is holding a knife in its teeth, you’ll gain back double the difference...

Rrrrrrrrrrr, matey!

This thread was really intended to share what I learned. Really, that's all.

I know of 3 Part 135 helicopter companies with over 350 aircraft combined that have laminated aircraft AWCs and registrations. There was an FAA LOI years ago on laminating a pilot certificate was an alteration and according to the LOI it was not. However, it appears whether or not it is an alteration is very subjective to the ASI who looks at that certificate. So YMMV.

I don’t know of any ASI who has an issue with laminating certificates. The only time it would be an issue is with the IA card as they are renewed by the ASI signing them on the back.

You were worried about the cool factor of an airworthiness certificate for a 74 Viking, it's like worrying about the cool factor of a rusted-out rusted out Pinto. Now if it were from something from the 30's...
Time never stops. They are putting “classic” license plates on fox-body mustangs now. Foxes, gen 3 camaros, OBS ford trucks, and square body chevys are tomorrow’s 57 chevys.

Time never stops. They are putting “classic” license plates on fox-body mustangs now. Foxes, gen 3 camaros, OBS ford trucks, and square body chevys are tomorrow’s 57 chevys.
That's one way to gauge how old are you. When the cars of your youth get classic plates, you're old. When they get historical plates, you're ancient.

Back