Question

• Thread starter Medicalthrowaway
  • Start date
M

Medicalthrowaway

Hello Everyone,

I initially got my second class medical a few years back. Having a discusion with my Mom a few months ago i found out that when I was in kindergarten which was when I was 5 or 6 my school requested that I get tested for ADHD. So my parents took me to a psychologist for the testing. Here is the problem though I don't remember going to this psychologist since it was over 15 years ago at this point(I am now 21) and when asking my mom if the psychologist said I was diagnosed she said she does not remember and that she has no copy of the report and she doesn't even know who the person was that did the testing. As far as I know I haven't had any treatment for ADHD. However my mother had accommodations made for me in school (because she is a teacher and knows how to play the system) but according to her and what I have read you don't need a diagnosis for these accommodations. Currently I am currently a CFI and the not knowing if I was diagnosed is bothering me because I am worried that if God forbid anything happens and the FAA goes looking into my old medical records that they will find something that says I was diagnosed with ADHD that I do not know about and tries to say I lied and take away my licenses. I have talked to AOPA and another medical consulting company and said i should't worry about it. Just wondering what anyone else would do in this situation.

See this thread.... https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/accidental-medical-omission-need-advice.119057/

Pertinent responses are

Doc,

I’ve got a commercial add-on student right now who just mentioned how once upon a time his mom dragged him into the shrink and 20 minutes later he was on meds for bad grades—adhd I believe was the condition. He was on meds on and off for a year and claims he never touched them again. He’s got his SEL add-on ride tomorrow morning and then leaves for a 135 op in a week. He’s got a new first class and the look on his face when I told him that adhd was a non-fly type of deal was horrifying.

What’re his next steps?

To get through quickly, he needs the Federal ADHD screening battery, negative urine during the testing. But the HIMS Neuro-psychologist who does/scores it, needs his entire medical record and a copy of his FAA medical record, which has to not have been in the airman’s custody......so this is NOT FAST.....

i think title 9 awards to school districts for having kinds on pills ought be a national scandal.

Unless you wish to get the 14 day "show cause" letter when they find out and you did not report, you need to report. this is just crazy, but Barack's men built this into the system.

but B4 then you need a normal ADHD screen for which you need the record, your FAA medical record (not having passed through your custody), and an about $1,200 negative ADHD screen done by one of the HIMS neurospcyhogists, and the negative urein on the day of the testing (for stimulants).

This is making me sick.

i think title 9 awards to school districts for having kinds on pills ought be a national scandal.

Unless you wish to get the 14 day "show cause" letter when they find out and you did not report, you need to report. this is just crazy, but Barack's men built this into the system.

but B4 then you need a normal ADHD screen for which you need the record, your FAA medical record (not having passed through your custody), and an about $1,200 negative ADHD screen done by one of the HIMS neurospcyhogists, and the negative urein on the day of the testing (for stimulants).

This is making me sick.

But i have never been on pills or even know if i have a diagnosis. All i know was there was an appointment with a psychologist one day and that's it and my parents don't even remember what the much more either.

Hello Everyone,

I initially got my second class medical a few years back. Having a discusion with my Mom a few months ago i found out that when I was in kindergarten which was when I was 5 or 6 my school requested that I get tested for ADHD. So my parents took me to a psychologist for the testing. Here is the problem though I don't remember going to this psychologist since it was over 15 years ago at this point(I am now 21) and when asking my mom if the psychologist said I was diagnosed she said she does not remember and that she has no copy of the report and she doesn't even know who the person was that did the testing. As far as I know I haven't had any treatment for ADHD. However my mother had accommodations made for me in school (because she is a teacher and knows how to play the system) but according to her and what I have read you don't need a diagnosis for these accommodations. Currently I am currently a CFI and the not knowing if I was diagnosed is bothering me because I am worried that if God forbid anything happens and the FAA goes looking into my old medical records that they will find something that says I was diagnosed with ADHD that I do not know about and tries to say I lied and take away my licenses. I have talked to AOPA and another medical consulting company and said i should't worry about it. Just wondering what anyone else would do in this situation.
The school district will still have the evaluation records.....

like the 2nd amemdment: "Sir ... hand 'em over. Your records show mental health care at age 6!"

Sounds like to me you had special ed classes those are not based on medical records they give you learning disability test administered by teachers. I also was in those classes in the 1970's though the 1980s. Those test are not any kind of medical diagnoses it was just so I could get into classes were smaller eventually I was put back in regular classes when I entered the 9th grade. If you were never prescribed any meds to me that is proof you were never diagnosed with ADHD. Just because you were in special ED classes doesn't mean you were diagnosed ADHD.

Sounds like to me you had special ed classes those are not based on medical records they give you learning disability test administered by teachers. I also was in those classes in the 1970's though the 1980s. Those test are not any kind of medical diagnoses it was just so I could get into classes were smaller eventually I was put back in regular classes when I entered the 9th grade. If you were never prescribed any meds to me that is proof you were never diagnosed with ADHD. Just because you were in special ED classes doesn't mean you were diagnosed ADHD.
Okay. If you want to dance on the head of a pin (which never works out well), there will be record of a Part 504 accommodation plan, and there are qualified people evaluating you in there...plus parts were paid by insurance. The district has those records forever.

They will eventually find it. And then your PILOT certs are in addition to the medical, at risk.

“Not a good idea, Mav.....”...bad advice, Kelly....

“I wish it not so, I wish it not so...” doesn’t make it not so.....

Okay. If you want to dance on the head of a pin (which never works out well), there will be record of a Part 504 accommodation plan, and there are qualified people evaluating you in there...plus parts were paid by insurance. The district has those records forever.

They will eventually find it. And then your PILOT certs are in addition to the medical, at risk.

“Not a good idea, Mav.....”...bad advice, Kelly....

“I wish it not so, I wish it not so...” doesn’t make it not so.....

The OP could attempt to find the records from the Physiologist he saw 15 years earlier as well as the school to determine if there was a diagnoses if those records say he was not diagnosed to have ADHD he then is telling the truth when he says he was never diagnosed to have ADHD. Would that not the best route to at least determine what happend 15 years ago since his parents can't remember? Were only talking 2004 not really that long ago how long do doctors keep medical records for? Does FAA have problems that you have a learning disability. I didn't see that on the list of Psychiatric Conditions - Psychiatric Conditions Table of Medical Dispositions

But i have never been on pills or even know if i have a diagnosis. All i know was there was an appointment with a psychologist one day and that's it and my parents don't even remember what the much more either.
So what is it you think you should have reported? The visit wasn't in the past 3 years, so doesn't need to be reported on that basis. You must certify the answers on the form to the best of your knowledge. To the best of your knowledge, did you leave off a condition or diagnosis?

I believe the question is HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING? one is mental disorders which if you go look is ADHD they list. Sorry for the caps just copied it from the FAA PDF form

There is question X catch all Other illness, disability, or surgery How do you remember every single illness you ever got in your entire life

Last edited:
How do you remember every single illness you ever got in your entire life
Most of the items in ones medical history that require reporting are significant enough that you'll remember them. Perhaps not the exact dates, but definitely the event. Even if it was something as an infant through pre-K, someone (likely a parent) would have made you aware of the event.

Now that I am "medical certification process aware", I keep a small diary of any potentially reportable medical events, making it muuuuuch simpler to complete MedXpress the next time around.

I believe the question is HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING? one is mental disorders which if you go look is ADHD they list. Sorry for the caps just copied it from the FAA PDF form

There is question X catch all Other illness, disability, or surgery How do you remember every single illness you ever got in your entire life
If you leave off something you don't remember happening, is the information still correct to the best of your knowledge?

n the context of the OP's question, has anything been discovered that must be reported? If so, in response to which question on the form?
Maybe. Maybe not. Pretty good technical question whether, having now learned that he was tested, does he have the responsibility to inquire whether he was diagnosed? No way to tell without way more information and I personally wouldn't venture an opinion on the answer.

If you leave off something you don't remember happening, is the information still correct to the best of your knowledge?
Same maybe. Is "I had some testing but I don't know the test results and I an't gonna try to find out to answer this question," to the best of one's knowledge?

But a separate point is, f it is discovered independent of you reporting it, "I didn't know" may help keep pilot certificates but not likely to help keep medical certificates.

I guess I need to find out if my parents ever took me to see a doctor when I was a baby and add it to my next medical.

Oh snap! They have both passed! WTF do I do now?!?!
Good thing being a curmudgeon isn't reportable...

I guess I need to find out if my parents ever took me to see a doctor when I was a baby and add it to my next medical.

Oh snap! They have both passed! WTF do I do now?!?!
My father passed in 90's and my mother is in her 80's she can't remember what the doctor said a few months ago when I took her to see him.

Today records are kept on computer databases easy to search the OP could find the record easily from 2004. I would be surprised if the FAA could find a medical record from 1972 the doctor I had as a kid died in 1990 his office closed after that. I think it's reasonable to at least get the medical records have them stashed away so you can pull them out as proof back in 2004 you saw a Psychologist at the request of the school and were found to not have ADHD.

Last edited:
Maybe. Maybe not. Pretty good technical question whether, having now learned that he was tested, does he have the responsibility to inquire whether he was diagnosed? No way to tell without way more information and I personally wouldn't venture an opinion on the answer.
AFAIK, "to the best of my knowledge" is actually a weak standard that you wouldn't be allowed to testify to in court and requires no investigation. But that's not in the context of the FAA. Are you aware of any FAA or NTSB precedent that would require investigation?

Same maybe. Is "I had some testing but I don't know the test results and I an't gonna try to find out to answer this question," to the best of one's knowledge?

But a separate point is, f it is discovered independent of you reporting it, "I didn't know" may help keep pilot certificates but not likely to help keep medical certificates.
Obviously not knowing won't save your medical if a disqualifying condition is discovered. But are you saying that not reporting in this situation could lead to a revocation even if there wasn't a diagnosis?

AFAIK, "to the best of my knowledge" is actually a weak standard that you wouldn't be allowed to testify to in court and requires no investigation. But that's not in the context of the FAA. Are you aware of any FAA or NTSB precedent that would require investigation?
No. Just speculating out loud. But the NTSB has been funny about falsification claims. Strict standards for proof but a few court cases overturning the NTSB for not following them. Recent one for example.

Obviously not knowing won't save your medical if a disqualifying condition is discovered.
That's all I meant.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back