Retrofit Goodrich Boots to C210

Hanno Kraatz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hanno
Hi there,

I understand it is technically possible to install boots on a C210 which did not have these off the factory. Commercially – anybody having an indication on how much money that would mean give or take? TKS installation costs somwhere between 40.000 and 45.000 USD as a reference.

Probably not a lot cheaper because there is a lot more involved than you suspect.. You need boots, a second vac pump and second relief valve, a new vac gauge, an ice light, a hot prop, switches, load meter for the prop, hot plate for the wind screen, and maybe a bigger alternator. Then add the labor.

I guess similat price is already OK... I prefer Boots over TKS but have not many qualified arguments other than with Boots, no TKS liquid tank can run empty... anybody done a retrofit of Boots already?

If you are in a situation where you'd run TKS dry, boots are likely to be not much help either, especially on a high wing

There is only one jet line (no longer in production) that I know of that uses TKS, lots of them have partial boots and a few are all boots, if not all bleed air heated that is.

IMHO its a draw, they both suck lol.

Last edited:
Back