Ferry pilots

how do you expect to be paid?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What this plan? Hire the guy to be your shop sweeper and spark plug gapper. Now he can go move one of the company planes for business reasons, right? Incidental to business?

This one fbo I knew would ask it's line guys (ppls) to hop into a company plane and fetch a broken company plane and "don't forget the ferry permit."

Asking the line guy to fetch a plane Is totally legal, assuming you have employment records, until you added the broken part. Unless the plane has an MEL or the company obtained a ferry permit, broken made the flight illegal.

Are you exercising the privileges of your U.S. pilot certificate? Is it a U.S. registered aircraft? Does the flight originate or terminate in the U.S.?

You probably did exercise your US certificate to fly it to Mexico. But you didn't get paid for that. As to whether you need to re-register the aircraft for its flight to Vanuatu, I don't know.

Are you exercising the privileges of your U.S. pilot certificate? Is it a U.S. registered aircraft? Does the flight originate or terminate in the U.S.?

At SMX back in the 90's there was a 7sumpin7 i think, owned by a foreigner, from somewhere in the Mideast. Don't remember if they just bought it or had something done to it there. They were going to depart and an FAA dude was there and said you can't. They threw him off the plane and departed. Never heard the outcome and I can't find the story by googling. Anyone remember this?

You must know, the FAA has jurisdiction over all "N" numbered aircraft no matter where they are.

If Tom had a medical, and was selling his plane to someone who offered a return airline ticket to Tom if Tom delivers his plane to the buyer, may Tom do that as a PPL holder?

If Tom had a medical, and was selling his plane to someone who offered a return airline ticket to Tom if Tom delivers his plane to the buyer, may Tom do that as a PPL holder?
There are those who will quote/debate the regs down to the last sub, sub, sub paragraph.

And there are those, me included, who say "at the end of the day, who really cares?" Just do it and don't tell the self appointed aviation cops here about it.

There are those who will quote/debate the regs down to the last sub, sub, sub paragraph.

And there are those, me included, who say "at the end of the day, who really cares?" Just do it and don't tell the self appointed aviation cops here about it.

Except the way this usually goes down is the aircraft owner starts an inquiry, much like Tom has here, to legally ferry his plane and decides he shouldn’t pay that much and finds a Private Pilot time builder to do it for free. Then bad luck strikes and the would be commercial ferry pilot stumbles across the private pilot providing commercial services and the FAA gets a call.

The aircraft owner violated no regs and the private pilot is suspended for 90 days.

decides he shouldn’t pay that much and finds a Private Pilot time builder to do it for free. Then bad luck strikes and the would be commercial ferry pilot stumbles across the private pilot providing commercial services and the FAA gets a call.
Nope. Now you’re just making up scenarios.

That’s whole problem with broadcasting your plans to the world via the interwebs. Keep your trap shut and just do what you want.

And I suppose you think if you get ramp checked FAA inspectors are too stupid to ask the right questions to determine you are illegal.

And I suppose you think if you get ramp checked FAA inspectors are too stupid to ask the right questions to determine you are illegal.
Just a matter of answering the questions correctly.

FAA doesn't know where you took off from, and have no rite to ask where you are going.

[

FAA doesn't know where you took off from, and have no rite to ask where you are going.

Nothing going to raise suspicions by refusing to simply answer where you departed and where you going.

Why would there be any more of a suspicion than of someone who’s flying a rental aircraft?

[

Nothing going to raise suspicions by refusing to simply answer where you departed and where you going.
Why would it? It’s no different than if I were flying a rental aircraft and got ramp checked while on a cross-country.

There should be a voting field for "not paid at all". I live on an airpark in SW FL for over 30 years. We had a lot of older pilots who were seasonal and weren't that comfortable or current for longer trips. I would run a few planes back and forth each year as well as sold airplanes from the park to new owners or pick up new purchases. I did it for fun and the owners paid my expenses, generally just fuel and maybe one night in a hotel (I could jumpseat for free with my company). I'll bet there are quite a few folks that do this just for the adventure or to build hours. If you consider the expense part as pay, then I never had to even ask as my neighbors could always be trusted to pay when I got back.

There should be a voting field for "not paid at all". I live on an airpark in SW FL for over 30 years. We had a lot of older pilots who were seasonal and weren't that comfortable or current for longer trips. I would run a few planes back and forth each year as well as sold airplanes from the park to new owners or pick up new purchases. I did it for fun and the owners paid my expenses, generally just fuel and maybe one night in a hotel (I could jumpseat for free with my company). I'll bet there are quite a few folks that do this just for the adventure or to build hours. If you consider the expense part as pay, then I never had to even ask as my neighbors could always be trusted to pay when I got back.
The "building hours" part is pay.

Oh but it is a rite of theirs.

It seems that a few on here seem to not only believe that breaking the rules is okay as long as you do it quietly and don't get caught but outright advocate doing so. An amazing bunch of wannabe pirates. Though I guess if you are okay with paying the price if caught, might as well go for it. And many are caught.

[Nothing going to raise suspicions by refusing to simply answer where you departed and where you going.

But those questions are never asked. ramp checks are all about the paper work on the aircraft and airworthiness. They never ask where ya been or where ya going, simply because it is none of their business.

I take it you've never been checked.

But those questions are never asked. ramp checks are all about the paper work on the aircraft and airworthiness. They never ask where ya been or where ya going, simply because it is none of their business.

I take it you've never been checked.

Not true. Those questions do get asked.

[Edit] I would do it for free if someone paid the fuel bill and for a cheap hotel or two. I don't need the hours.

Last edited:
I'll do it for free. You pay the fuel bill and for a cheap hotel or two. I don't need the hours.
Did you miss it?

I didn't buy the A/C

No. I was just making a statement. The conversation departed from your purchase a long time ago... :D
Yeah that happens here, just being clear .,.

For the non believers.
When a sale occurs the new owner can do all the paper work to transfer the ownership and still have the seller deliver the aircraft?
happens a lot, FAA says nothing.

For the non believers.
When a sale occurs the new owner can do all the paper work to transfer the ownership and still have the seller deliver the aircraft?
happens a lot, FAA says nothing.

Very difficult for the FAA to object to something they do not know occurred.

Nope. Now you’re just making up scenarios.

Not a ferry pilot story, but a private pilot suspension story.

Many years ago I go a call from a business owner wanting a Part 91 commercial pilot to fly his plane and transport engineers to various locations. The money he was offering was insufficient and we couldn’t make an agreement on insurance. As part of the discussion, the owner mentioned if he could not get a commercial pilot to work for the rate he wanted to pay he was going to use a non instrument rated private pilot that worked for him.

I made mention of this call to an instructor friend at a local FBO. The instructor explained the owner had contacted them before he contacted me. I told him he was likely going to use a private pilot.

Several months later FAA started an investigation and the Private Pilot reportedly was suspended for 90 days.

Not a ferry pilot story, but a private pilot suspension story.

Many years ago I go a call from a business owner wanting a Part 91 commercial pilot to fly his plane and transport engineers to various locations. The money he was offering was insufficient and we couldn’t make an agreement on insurance. As part of the discussion, the owner mentioned if he could not get a commercial pilot to work for the rate he wanted to pay he was going to use a non instrument rated private pilot that worked for him.

I made mention of this call to an instructor friend at a local FBO. The instructor explained the owner had contacted them before he contacted me. I told him he was likely going to use a private pilot.

Several months later FAA started an investigation and the Private Pilot reportedly was suspended for 90 days.
Much different scenario than someone flying an airplane from A to B and paying their own expenses.

Apples to Oranges comparison.

Much different scenario than someone flying an airplane from A to B and paying their own expenses.

Apples to Oranges comparison.

Not really, pee in someone’s Cheerios who makes money flying and you are likely going to get a visit from the FAA.

Based on Tom's frequent penchant for misspelling and typo's, I"m going to go out on a limb here and say nobody helped him on this thread at all.

I bet that not one of you that ruined his thread is actually a fairy.

Back