C182 or C206

Hanno Kraatz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hanno
Hi! We are just about to sign a contract for a factory new C182 which we wanted to equip with TKS and a BRS parachute. Doing the numbers again, the two additional obviously eat into payload and with full tanks, only two can fly.

We always thought about a 206 and we are back to that idea... we do not need to transport 6 people but max 4; mostly 2 really but the space we would get along with a Turbo and a MTOW we’d hardly reach is appealing again.

Anybody made a decision between C182 and C206? What drove the decision? What are the real fuel burns in average you are experiencing?

One idea is getting an analoge T206H and retrofitting completely with the new Garmin TXi suite... anybody aware of one being on the market? Couldn’t find one on the sites I know.

Why older? I don’t want to invest into an old G1000 but either NXi which becomes very expensive for a 206 or paying half the money and invest 100k into an older one.,,

Thanks for thoughts and also shooting holes into my thinking process... :)

Hanno

Is this plane going to be on the N register ?

If you can swing it , get the 206. Best 4-seater there is, right behind the A36 ;-)

No, gonna be on the German register,

Looked at a Bonanza also but we are just more into Cessnas :)

@Hanno Kraatz, there is a poster here that purchased and flew a new T206 for a year or two, then sold it when his mission changed. I don't recall who it is but maybe someone else can.

You can also contact Van Bortal Aircraft in Arlington, Texas. They are a large Cessna dealer and have two 2008 T206H aircraft for sale.

https://vanbortel.com/aircraft-for-sale/aircraft-inventory

Last edited:
Well then, make sure all your intended modifications are a-ok with the LBA/CAA.

Now if money was no object and I wanted a newish Cessna, this is what I would get:

- Earlier T206H with conventional instruments and float plane kit
- upgrade to G600 glass panel, navigators, transponder etc.
- wait on the autopilot until garmin gets around to include the 206 on the GFC500 STC list. Maybe cut the hole in the panel for the controller already
- paint & interior (get rid of whatever ugly 'swoosh' paintjob it has right now)
- add Flint Aero tip tanks (adds 36in wingspan and 160lb payload)
- add TKS (it would be an inadvertent icing system)

206 for sure, even if you don't need the seats having the back doors are amazing for loading bikes or other gear.

Can you get a BRS for the 206?

A 182 with full fuel is often a two seater, or sometimes three, maybe. It has big tanks. Enormous range, built to travel. Don't fill the tanks

A 182 with full fuel is often a two seater, or sometimes three, maybe. It has big tanks. Enormous range, built to travel. Don't fill the tanks
Hmmmm... a few years ago, I took myself, @JCranford and his wife, a large number of pies, a larger amount of beer, and a good bit of additional luggage along with full tanks to Gaston's from KDTO in a 1975 C182P and we did just fine.

So I would dispute your claims.

Hmmmm... a few years ago, I took myself, @JCranford and his wife, a large number of pies, a larger amount of beer, and a good bit of additional luggage along with full tanks to Gaston's from KDTO in a 1975 C182P and we did just fine.

You're right about a P model (that’s what I have too), but the re-start 182s are much heavier, particularly when you add the weight of TKS fluid and a BRS system.

Tell us more..... how many cases and what kind of beer.??

What were the pies.??

Any of it left.??

Susan is an excellent baker and all of the pie was gone by the end of the weekend. Apple, Pumpkin, were two I remember.

Beer was Shiner Bock and some other local Dallas breweries. And it too was all consumed before departure.

Photos have been redacted and classified to protect the innocent.

The OP is looking at new or near-new 182s.

Hi! Yes; the older C182 have a much better payloud which you may even increase through various STCs... I would nit have expected the T and S model to have that much less but you never stope learning I guess... :) Maybe we need a C210 afterall. Can carry a lot at high speeds and ok’ish with short fields and unoaved runways

Maybe they drank the beer just so it wouldn't be part of the cargo and reduce useful load?

I was being given a brand new 182 or brand new 206 I'd take the 206. But I would curse each and every time I was riding right seat and had to crawl across the pilots seat. All Cessna's should have front doors on both sides, if not we can't use it in the high wing vs low wing argument :)

@mulligan I believe is who you're referring to...

Yup. That was me. Thought we could fit the family in it to fly where we wanted to. Turns out we could fit the family, but had no room for fuel. With all the fuel stops, was faster driving. So we ditched a kid and bought a faster 4 seater. Then the wife got left behind a few times so we upgraded again.

206 was a great bird. Got me through PPL and IFR and many great trips. Was an SUV. Get there slow and comfortable. If your in a hurry, you got the wrong plane.

Back