Another phishing scam

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
A couple of tell-tales. First, they don't even know my gender, much less my name. Second, the email address doesn't even start to look genuine. And, some of the words have British spelling, which the American FBI wouldn't use.

And, on another point. Once in a while I get an email from someone who got hold of an old password and is trying to blackmail me into sending him some bit-coin. He's tried it twice, and I haven't sent him a single coin, with no deleterious information. Considering POA is the wildest site I frequent, good luck to him.

Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2019 8:59 AM
Subject: From:

Office Of The Director,
Christopher A. Wray,
Federal Bureau Of Investigation,
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW, Washington, D.C. 20535-0001, USA.

Dear Sir/Madam,

The attention of the Federal Bureau of Investigation has been directed by our International Operations Division on your transaction with the National Bank of Belgium (NBB) concerning your over-due inheritance / contract payment. It might interest you to learn that we have fully analysed the transaction as stipulated by our Investigative Operational Guidelines and have confirmed that it is 100% genuine and hitch free, and of which you have the legitimate right to claim.

We recently had our spring meetings with the Governor of the National Bank of Belgium, Mr. Ronald J. Gidwitz and some top officials of the ministry in regard to the subject matter and we were led to understand that your payment file was held in abeyance pending when you personally apply for its claim. But the major challenges facing the Bank are (i). Some unscrupulous elements are using this project as an avenue to scam innocent people off their hard earned money by impersonating the Governor or an official of the National Bank of Belgium. (ii). A woman named Mrs. Linda Box, from New York submitted an application to NBB with a power of attorney and some official documents (allegedly signed by you) prior to the release of your Funds (US$8,000,000.00) to her due to your ill health.

In view of all these, we have been urged to warn beneficiaries who have received information pertaining to their outstanding inheritance / contract payment to be very careful, in order not to be a victim of circumstance. In case you are already dealing with someone from the National Bank of Belgium/Any Bank or whichever office, you are strictly advised to DESIST from further communication with that individual in your best interest, and thereby contact the real office of the National Bank of Belgium via the below information:

Name: Mr. Pierre Wunsch
Office Address: Boulevard De Berlaimont 14
1000 Brussels, Belgium
Email: nbb837464@aol.com

NOTE: You should ignore any message that does not come from the above email address for security reasons. And to enable the National Bank of Belgium to process and release the fund to you, you are required to re-confirm your full details such as:

Your full Name:
Contact Home Address:
Your Cell Phone Number:
Your Date of Birth:
Sex:

Ensure that you abide to the National Bank of Belgium due process in line with the International Banking Secrecy Act, to avoid any form of discrepancy, which may hinder your funds transfer.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation as we earnestly await your urgent reply.

Best Regards,
Christopher A. Wray,
E-mail: u2026952421@aol.com
Federal Bureau of Investigation

So the FBI is using an AOL account for official communications these days. And by sheer coincidence, so is the "National Bank of Belgium".

Whoda thunk it?

o_O
Ironic isn’t it....?

Oooh, I LOVE scammers! Got a call from the Texas Drug Enforecment Agency a few months ago. Weird how Texans have started talking with Middle Eastern accents. But, apparently my social security number was being suspended because it had been connected with suspicious activity including drug trafficking, money laundering, and homicide...this was gold to me.

So, after giving them all my personal information (comprised of a fake name and a fake social security number that included two letters and the @ symbol), I started acting confused as to how to get them the money to restore my SSN. I told them I would just give the money to the police, because the police would know where to find them...

The phone call abruptly ended. Weird, right?

Back