Federal Air Suregon Wait Time

Pat

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingpat737
Hello All. Just curious if anybody here has experience with the wait time at the Federal Air Surgeon. I am working with Dr. Bruce and my situation is this: I had a boatload of live events in college and had a single episode of major depression as a result. No alcohol or drug abuse in the past and no SSRI use, either currently or in the past. Nothing criminal. I had a favorable HIMS Psych Eval. The packet was in OKC for 3 months, and has been in DC since late October, so roughly 120 days with the government shutdown included. I am a revenue airman and am requesting a first class certificate. The packet is super simple and couldn't be more than 50 pages.

My question is this.
What are people's experiences with the wait time in D.C?? At 4 months in DC, am I getting close or I am still a ways off?? Thanks for the advice!!

P.S. Dr. Bruce is an amazing AME. He has been very helpful with my situation:)

Whatever estimate Bruce gave is probably the most accurate.

If you’re an active revenue airman (flying for an airline), you’ll probably get expedited service. However, Bruce has mentioned several times he’s never seen the agency slower than it is right now.

And yes, Doc Bruce is great.

Whatever estimate Bruce gave is probably the most accurate.

If you’re an active revenue airman (flying for an airline), you’ll probably get expedited service. However, Bruce has mentioned several times he’s never seen the agency slower than it is right now.

And yes, Doc Bruce is great.
I just got an approval that took 11 days short of six months. I just got done counseling the 33 y.o as to whether to recert (no documents other thant urine tests needed) or go to basic med.

He's young enough and will have to demonstrate sobriety for 3 more years to get off the SI ("be ruled eligible") but at least he got there.

Currently doing a HIMS program for a past DUI and submitted my packet for a third class medical in December and still have not heard a thing. Stay positive and patient as hard as it can be.

When I went for my 3rd class I had an issue that caused it to go to DC. Sat for weeks until I was able to track down someone in DC who said they had sent it back to OKC weeks ago. OKC didnt know they had it until I called and told them DC sent it back. Hopefully this isn’t your situation.

Thanks for all the replies! I did reach someone in DC, and they told me it was "under review" which is a pretty typical thing to hear, but yes they did receive my file 7 days after OKC sent it back in October. From what I understand, my file has to go to a contract psychiatrist and the chief psyciatrist, to get approved so I have no clue where it is when it comes to that.
Patience is for sure important when dealing with the FAA but I am looking forward to being able to fly again, just as you all felt too when you were waiting! :) Thanks for the replies:)

I just got an approval that took 11 days short of six months. I just got done counseling the 33 y.o as to whether to recert (no documents other thant urine tests needed) or go to basic med.

He's young enough and will have to demonstrate sobriety for 3 more years to get off the SI ("be ruled eligible") but at least he got there.
That's incredible... I'm glad he got there though!

Curious what people are currently seeing for wait times right now? I am approaching 6 months since submittal to OKC and at 12 weeks since arrival in DC. Getting close?

Thanks!

Thanks . I was told originally told 12 weeks in DC, but seems that has grown. Appreciate it.

I made application for special issuance January of 2018. I received a letter last August asking for more medical records which I provided, and in February I received a letter stating my file has been sent to DC. I have been monitored from July of 2017 to currently. No word yet...

This month marks two years ago I first entered my ME’s office in pursuit of a 3rd class medical.

Might be a long shot but I would try to contact someone in DC and confirm that they still have it. My 3rd class was taking forever. OKC kept telling me it was in DC. I finally was able to speak with someone in DC and they informed me that it was sent back to OKC "months" ago. I then called OKC and told them what DC told me. 2 weeks later I received my SI/3rd class.

Just got my SI 1st class in the mail last week. Gathered all paperwork and my HIMS AME submitted to OKC end of November 2018. OKC confirmed to have it by mid-December before the shutdown. Paperwork was then mailed to DC early January this year and confirmed to have it on January 29th after the shutdown ended. I finally got a letter from the FAS dated March 28 stating I was authorized to obtain a SI 1st class. So it took me about 3 months in DC.

Other notes:
  • I called OKC once a week
  • Had my congresswoman make an inquiry
  • Reached out to one guy in DC
  • I'm a revenue airmen, I wasn't sure whether they put priority on us.

Just got my SI 1st class in the mail last week. Gathered all paperwork and my HIMS AME submitted to OKC end of November 2018. OKC confirmed to have it by mid-December before the shutdown. Paperwork was then mailed to DC early January this year and confirmed to have it on January 29th after the shutdown ended. I finally got a letter from the FAS dated March 28 stating I was authorized to obtain a SI 1st class. So it took me about 3 months in DC.

Other notes:
  • I called OKC once a week
  • Had my congresswoman make an inquiry
  • Reached out to one guy in DC
  • I'm a revenue airmen, I wasn't sure whether they put priority on us.

Correction, May 28, and not March 28

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back