Seatbelt repair

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Who can do a seatbelt repair (new webbing with existing fittings) for an exp?
Don’t need to do the whole set, just 2 females, no paperwork needed.

I own a sail loft and have done similar work. You should probably source the material yourself in the color you want. Then anyone with a decent machine can sew them up. Auto upholstery, canvas awning shops, sail lofts, rigging supply shops, truck tarp suppliers.....

Oddly enough, even on a certified aircraft, re-webbing a seatbelt is allowable as owner maintenance. You just need to have the right tso'd webbing.

Oddly enough, even on a certified aircraft, re-webbing a seatbelt is allowable as owner maintenance. You just need to have the right tso'd webbing.

You mean the owner can remove the seat belts and send them out for rewebbing? There are many approved repair stations that do that kind of work. There is no way I'd accept for an owner sewing bulk webbing onto seat belt fittings lol (no chance in hell I'd buy that).

You mean the owner can remove the seat belts and send them out for rewebbing? There are many approved repair stations that do that kind of work. There is no way I'd accept for an owner sewing bulk webbing onto seat belt fittings lol (no chance in hell I'd buy that).

43 Appendix A (c) (14)
simply says :
Replacing safety belts.

It doesn't have any of the qualifications that come with lubrication, seat repairs, fabric patches etc. Is there any other binding guidance on this that doesn't allow you to do the stitching ?

That's why I said 'oddly enough'.

43 Appendix A (c) (14)
simply says :
Replacing safety belts.

It doesn't have any of the qualifications that come with lubrication, seat repairs, fabric patches etc. Is there any other binding guidance on this that doesn't allow you to do the stitching ?

Seat belts are an assembly, replacing assembled seat belts without a doubt is covered by part 43. Modifying a TSO article by replacing the webbing of TSO seat belt assembly is not owner mx.

Is there any other binding guidance on this that doesn't allow you to do the stitching ?
The reference doesn't state "repair" which the stitching would fall under. As mentioned above "replacing seatbelts" is removing/installing the seatbelt assembly.

The A/C is EAB no documentation required.

Wow this is news to me, did not know this. So no standards or guidelines as to the quality of the belt at all? Could you just use rope? Yea that’s over the top, but it does beg the question.

Wow this is news to me, did not know this. So no standards or guidelines as to the quality of the belt at all? Could you just use rope? Yea that’s over the top, but it does beg the question.
If the plane were new, the DAR might balk at rope seat belts, but there's no legal limitation otherwise.

If you purchased the plane, it has to undergo a yearly condition inspection by an A&P (or the original builder, if he/she has the repairman certificate and is willing). Some A&Ps might refuse to sign off the inspection with rope seatbelts, but would accept automotive versions.

Ron Wanttaja

If the plane were new, the DAR might balk at rope seat belts, but there's no legal limitation otherwise.

If you purchased the plane, it has to undergo a yearly condition inspection by an A&P (or the original builder, if he/she has the repairman certificate and is willing). Some A&Ps might refuse to sign off the inspection with rope seatbelts, but would accept automotive versions.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks for the explanation, I’m much more familiar with rules regarding certified aircraft, have a lot to learn about experimental aircraft.

As others have said, the OP stated it’s for an “exp” meaning experimental so many regulations do not apply. The basic airworthiness definition for an experimental is just that it is safe for flight. There is no requirement to conform to a type design. Being considered safe for flight can be rather subjective but I really doubt if any qualified maintenance person would consider a rope as meeting any level of safety nor would any ASI or DAR.

So if the owner of an experimental wanted to buy some seatbelt webbing and either sew it himself or have someone else do it, that is basically legit. However, he would be foolish if he didn’t ensure it was done to some minimum standard. Having the correct type of sewing machine that is capable of doing the right type of stitch and stitch pattern is important.

Personally I’d take it to someone who routinely does seatbelts or to a parachute rigger. The additional minimal cost is worth it.

Here is some info for certificated aircraft if anyone would care to apply it to their experimental.

Couple thoughts:

why would any one in their right mind cheap out a life saving device?

When doing a condition, some one would have to show me a how a different seat belt would alter the letter of limitations, and require new certification?

Remember the proper sign off statement of the condition inspection.

Ok, I agree that seatbelts need to be strong. For an experimental, “anyone” that has experience sewing webbing and an industrial machine should easily be able to look at a comparable seatbelt picture and copy the stitching pattern and thread, add another 50% more stitches and be good to go.

When I was In high school I was doing lots of rock climbing. I took my mothers Singer (non-Industrial) and some cotton thread and managed to sew slings out of 1” tubular climbing webbing that were stronger than the webbing. I would take the slings to the basement and put them around a truck jack and crank on it till the webbing exploded. I soon (weeks) got better and sewed up slings and gear that I used to climb big walls out west. Now I have industrial sewing machines and make large tents, but the basics still apply. It kinda shows that if you are trying to do a good job, you can easily match value engineering that is trying to do the least possible work to meet the requirements.

No good at sewing. Have a good stapler though.

a0970826971_10.jpg

After reading this thread, I decided to go down to the bar to get a belt :)

Look in the Wag Aero catalog, there is an address where you can send your belts to be re-webbed. I think a full set is ~$50 plus shipping.

Look in the Wag Aero catalog, there is an address where you can send your belts to be re-webbed. I think a full set is ~$50 plus shipping.
The apparently do.
I sent them an email asking if they'd do a tag-less Exp belt.
If not, there are tons of auto options.
Thanks

Back