Grounding yourself vs. Sucking it up

In 26kt gusts, I’d suggest having more than just a few.

Sazzy said it was a crosswind gusting 26.... Right down the runway and crosswind are quite different. I flew my J-3 yesterday and it was gusting 25 when I landed. It was right down the runway. Not in a million years would I have flown if it was a crosswind that strong. Not in the Cub...

He geared up a Cutlass.
No findings yet, just hearsay...but there is subrogation for sure.

Again, I only mentioned due to the financial concerns.
From what I'm learning, one should check the insurance policy of the place they rent from, and insure yourself accordingly...or run the risks.

My main question is, if you take a plane out in x-wind that is above the planes rating (POH) could the insurance company deny coverage?
What if the renter is a student?
Could they be liable if they allow a student to fly in high winds and the student gets hurt or worse?

Just thinking....

What if the specific airplane doesn’t have a POH?

Well technically it's called an AFM nowadays?

And either will meet the FAR requirement, (so I've read on the web)

Yeah, “AFM” would cover it all, regardless of year of manufacture, I believe. An “Owner’s Manual” and a POH are kinds of AFMs, as I understand it. I could so very easily be wrong on both counts, though.

Yeah, “AFM” would cover it all, regardless of year of manufacture, I believe. An “Owner’s Manual” and a POH are kinds of AFMs, as I understand it. I could so very easily be wrong on both counts, though.

As long as the "operating limitations" are included, so I understand it.

But....this is the FAA lol.

So, this week was insanely windy, to the point where my instructor at RAC didnt find it to be appropriate or productive to go up.

Me, jonesing to fly, called up Skill and scheduled a flight in the 152, hoping that a heavier plane might fare better. But after talking with the Skill instructor, I learned that nothing I was hoping to focus on would really be worth while on a day like today.

I promise, I have a point here...

The contents of my wallet are not conducive to being a flight student. I feel like I need to be very careful about choosing when I fly and when I don't, to make the most of my money. Did I make the right decision not to fly? I feel that it is important to be able to fly in super turbulent conditions, should I ever get caught by surprise by the ever-bipolar weather that is inherent to the Chicagoland area, but at the same time, if I am not able to learn or accomplish much during a lesson due to weather...have i wasted my money?

You are funny.

That’s pretty sporty for a 152. I’d also elect to stay on the ground.

Yep, I had 16 gusting 27 the other day. About 10-15 degrees of centerline but the way it was gusting I scrubbed the flight. I pinged one of my buddies who went up that day for a PIREP and he said he got the crap knocked out of him. I was sad I didn't fly but I think I made the right call.

Last week I cancelled a flight, winds were 15G26, and about 10-20 deg off the rwy. There was pretty heavy turbulence all the way up to at least 4500 AGL. I was going to take a newbie on a fun flight, but those kind of conditions aren't fun and might have scared him away.

I wonder if we were there on the same day...

A 172 must be like an F350 than! :rofl:
Well, I done flewed a 172 for the first time ever about a week ago. More Mack Truckie than F350. That sucker took some serious effort to get the nose up off the runway. In the air wasn't quite so heavy, but, compared to my LSA...

Well, I done flewed a 172 for the first time ever about a week ago. More Mack Truckie than F350. That sucker took some serious effort to get the nose up off the runway. In the air wasn't quite so heavy, but, compared to my LSA...
Were you trimmed for takeoff?

I imagine coming from an LSA was an adjustment. In a 152, you can lift the nose off by pulling back on the yoke with your pinky finger! It’s very light on the nose. 172’s are a bit more nose heavy. :)

Lol, yep, it was the same day. Just checked my work calendar and I had that day off. I went to Smileys and hit some balls instead. Had a nice tailwind at the driving range.

Back