Class C transition

JM93

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John M
Hi all,
If I wanted to transition through a class Charlie airspace, let's say RSW, and I'm coming from the north would I contact 127.05 or 125.15?

Do controllers tend to get upset if you just call any of the approach frequencies?

TIA!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190527-203410.jpg
    Screenshot_20190527-203410.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 120
Whatever frequency box is closest to your path is the one to call.

Well you’re right on the border (300 degrees) between the two freqs but based on your track, you’re going into the 125.15 sector. So I’d go with that.

Last edited:
Coming from the north as in ‘Tuckers Corner’ area?

If so, I’d use 126.8

Worse case scenario, you dial up the wrong freq and they’ll simply tell you to contact FMY approach on 1XX.XX.

Inbound from (001-120) it would be 126.8 - if inbound on (301-360) it would be 127.05 If you are close and they want you on a different frequency, they will just tell you to switch to the one they want you on. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Having flown that route several times,I have used 125.15

I like to dial up early & listen in a while. That way you know what’s going on & who’s talking where. The same with a field CTAF, listen what’s going on, then try to fit into the flow. This assumes it’s a reasonable flow, which it usually is.

Worse case scenario, you dial up the wrong freq and they’ll simply tell you to contact FMY approach on 1XX.XX.

Worst worse case scenario, they'll do so in a stern and somewhat annoyed voice. :)

But yeah, you won't be given a phone number or even yelled at.

I once wanted to pick up VFR flight following in Kansas with KC Center. I looked on the IFR low altitude chart and saw that I was about to come up to a new frequency change sector. I called maybe a couple of miles early, and was told to contact the other frequency. I did, they identified me, and immediately switched me to the first one I called up. I guess there is a protocol. They each have their sectors. It wasn't that big of a deal, but now I try not to call a minute early anymore!

Most of the time in my area, the same controller is working both frequencies.* That is why you sometimes hear a controller having a conversation with a ghost, i.e. the other aircraft is on the other freq. Even when I was in Reno, the same NorCal controller would be working both North and South frequencies.

So, no they won't get upset if you call the wrong frequency unless the controller is just having a bad hair day....then they might snarl at you. ;)

Cheers,
Brian

*Disclaimer: All Class C's aren't all like this and times might vary when they are actually split, but most I've flown around are.

Last edited:
Pick up flight following right after takeoff rather than waiting until you are at the door of Charlie knocking to get in. Much easier on everyone. especially if they are busy.
Especially going down that stretch of the coast. There's a lot of traffic going up and down sightseeing not looking out.....

This is where the chart supplement (formerly know as the Airport Facility Directory) comes in handy. 126.8(001º–120º) 124.125(121º–240º) 125.15(241º–300º) 127.05(301º–360º)

RSW Chart Supplement.jpg

This is where the chart supplement (formerly know as the Airport Facility Directory) comes in handy. 126.8(001º–120º) 124.125(121º–240º) 125.15(241º–300º) 127.05(301º–360º)

Except he's not really inbound. In fact if he calls in over Charlotte Harbor at 25NM instead of 20NM, he's distinctly in the 127.05 range until reaching Bokeelia.

While I'm all for talking to ATC, I'm curious though why the OP is talking to the Charlie controller as the first point of contact at all? Why not pick it up flight following from center and let center hand you off to the correct Charlie controller as appropriate.

Except he's not really inbound. In fact if he calls in over Charlotte Harbor at 25NM instead of 20NM, he's distinctly in the 127.05 range until reaching Bokeelia.

While I'm all for talking to ATC, I'm curious though why the OP is talking to the Charlie controller as the first point of contact at all? Why not pick it up flight following from center and let center hand you off to the correct Charlie controller as appropriate.

Doesn't matter if he is inbound or not, just that he is transitioning their airspace and is located in said direction. Now yes, I would normally be with flight following. However it isn't required so all the OP needs to do is find the appropriate frequency for the sector he is in and call up for a transition.

Obviously, you don't need to call them at all unless you are keen to enter the Charlie (why would you?).

edit: and as mentioned by others, if you are using FF you should have picked that up a lot sooner. Like on the ground before takeoff if available

Obviously, you don't need to call them at all unless you are keen to enter the Charlie (why would you?).

edit: and as mentioned by others, if you are using FF you should have picked that up a lot sooner. Like on the ground before takeoff if available

I can liken it to what I did once. I called a Class D tower to get clearance to transition their airspace. I was flying cross country at 1000 AGL due to much higher headwinds and turbulence at normal cruise altitudes. At 1000 AGL around here, you won't get flight following because they can't see you on radar that low. Yeah I could have gone around, but my direct path took me right over a sleepy Class D airport. I figured what the heck, called and woke the tower guy up, and got permission to overfly the field at 1000 AGL. Not that big of a deal.

Fort Meyers Approach probably butts up against Tampa Approach there. They may or may not share a common ‘top of their airspace’ altitude. @frfly172 , you said you fly there. Do you get handoffs from Tampa to Fort Meyers? Any idea what their respective altitudes are?

In practice, call on the frequency in the box closest to you in plenty of time to make contact before entering the class C. If approach wants you on a different frequency once establishing radar contact, they will move you to the preferred frequency. As other have stated, acquiring flight following from the start will make the transition easier. Of course if you are above or below the class C, you don't have to contact anyone, but do everyone a favor and get in the system for safety's sake if you are near, just over, or under the class C. If ATC knows what you are doing and where you are going, they don't have to guess when routing other aircraft around you. The ATC folks in class C airspace are generally friendly and don't bite.

I once wanted to pick up VFR flight following in Kansas with KC Center. I looked on the IFR low altitude chart and saw that I was about to come up to a new frequency change sector. I called maybe a couple of miles early, and was told to contact the other frequency. I did, they identified me, and immediately switched me to the first one I called up. I guess there is a protocol. They each have their sectors. It wasn't that big of a deal, but now I try not to call a minute early anymore!

??? Sector boundaries are not on Charts. The location of those frequencies in the sawtooth boxes don’t come anywhere near close enough to being able to figure out where they are measured in a few minutes.

The graphic posted shows a flight from Venice (KVNC) to Naples (KAPF). Venice is non-towered. As the OP is a student pilot, he will definitely want flight following (not that others would not) and will need to pick it up in the air. There is no need to transit ANY controlled airspace on this trip but he will need to know who to call for FF. My go-to is to look and see who controls the instrument approaches. That would be Tampa on 119.65. I would call them ASAP after takeoff from Venice.

I can liken it to what I did once. I called a Class D tower to get clearance to transition their airspace. I was flying cross country at 1000 AGL due to much higher headwinds and turbulence at normal cruise altitudes. At 1000 AGL around here, you won't get flight following because they can't see you on radar that low. Yeah I could have gone around, but my direct path took me right over a sleepy Class D airport. I figured what the heck, called and woke the tower guy up, and got permission to overfly the field at 1000 AGL. Not that big of a deal.

I understand that. My point was more that he skirts their area more than enters it and in so doing the AFD/Chart Supplement isn't as helpful since he is coming from a sector that would be served by 127.05 but probably doesnt get close enough to the airport for services until he's in the sector of served by 125.15.

Fort Meyers Approach probably butts up against Tampa Approach there.

All the more reason why the question of which frequency to use shouldn't matter as he should be getting a handoff from Tampa approach. Though I will admit it possible he's looking ahead to what's next and what to expect, its not the question that was asked and the answer might just change if that were the case.

The graphic posted shows a flight from Venice (KVNC) to Naples (KAPF)... ... As the OP is a student pilot...

The OP stated he was "coming from the North" and lists the 2 frequencies for the North West portion of KRSW. While its possible the question would be the same coming from the other direction since neither 125.15 or 120.25 are particularly close to the planned flight plan, it wasn't what was asked. Also, while it may seem likely given the question being asked, I did not see the Op indicate he was a student pilot in which case he should be asking his CFI for assistance not an internet forum. I know the first time I entered a Bravo was as a PPL and I had to call my CFI up for assistance in understanding all of the frequencies involved.

??? Sector boundaries are not on Charts. The location of those frequencies in the sawtooth boxes don’t come anywhere near close enough to being able to figure out where they are measured in a few minutes.

In this case I was south of Wamego 69K and called KC center on 127.35. They told me to call KC center on 123.8. Seemed logical to me to call on 127.35. I was switched back near the 39 parallel. (blue line)

Attachments

• near wamego.png
    near wamego.png
    488.5 KB · Views: 14
Regardless, He will probably be talking to the same controller on any frequency to the north. The military frequency is the same, 306.2

Hi all,
I really appreciate the input from everyone.
I plan on picking up flight following but was looking for the frequency information in case 1) FF is denied for whatever reason. 2) if I wasn't handed off to Fort Myers prior to reaching the C area.

Hi all,
I really appreciate the input from everyone.
I plan on picking up flight following but was looking for the frequency information in case 1) FF is denied for whatever reason. 2) if I wasn't handed off to Fort Myers prior to reaching the C area.

You do understand that you do not need to contact Fort Myers if you do not actually plan on entering the Class Charlie?

In this case I was south of Wamego 69K and called KC center on 127.35. They told me to call KC center on 123.8. Seemed logical to me to call on 127.35. I was switched back near the 39 parallel. (blue line)

Sometimes the frequencies are as much about reception as they are about the sector coverage. The broadcast messages that controllers sometimes issue stating "N12345 change to my frequency 12x.xx" where they dont expect an acknowlegement/response from you until you're on the new frequency...

Regardless, He will probably be talking to the same controller on any frequency to the north. The military frequency is the same, 306.2

Thats not uncommon for a facility to not have a UHF for each sector. It doesn’t mean that there is only one sector up there. Each sector controller would be able to select or deselect the frequency. Only clue the pilot would have that he’s been handed off is hearing a new voice.

You do understand that you do not need to contact Fort Myers if you do not actually plan on entering the Class Charlie?
I do. I was thinking if I was below 4000 and then I would need to contact them.

I do. I was thinking if I was below 4000 and then I would need to contact them.

Only if you go into the bold-lined areas that delineate the Charlie, the inner circle SFC-4000 and the outer ring 1200-4000. Correct me if I am wrong but I keep getting the impression that you think you need to contact them within 20 miles whether you are entering the Charlie or not. You do not. Only required to contact if entering the Charlie.

Only if you go into the bold-lined areas that delineate the Charlie, the inner circle SFC-4000 and the outer ring 1200-4000. Correct me if I am wrong but I keep getting the impression that you think you need to contact them within 20 miles whether you are entering the Charlie or not. You do not. Only required to contact if entering the Charlie.
I'm not sure if I'm giving off that impression but it's certainly not my intention. I am fully aware that I only need to contact them if I enter the Charlie. My plan is to not enter the Charlie but if something happens and I need to either change my course or lower my altitude then it would put me into the Charlie. I'm trying to find out who I would call in these cases, providing I wasn't switched over to them while on F2F.

I'm not sure if I'm giving off that impression but it's certainly not my intention. I am fully aware that I only need to contact them if I enter the Charlie. My plan is to not enter the Charlie but if something happens and I need to either change my course or lower my altitude then it would put me into the Charlie. I'm trying to find out who I would call in these cases, providing I wasn't switched over to them while on F2F.

Well, you would have to change both your course and your altitude to end up in the Charlie, which seems unlikely. But if you are getting FF, that's all you need to do. You don't have to worry about when and where you will be handed off, that's the controller's job.

...or lower my altitude then it would put me into the Charlie...

Not trying to be harsh, just want to make sure you have the right idea. This is what makes me still wonder? How would lowering your altitude on the course you posted be an issue?

:deadhorse:

Well, you would have to change both your course and your altitude to end up in the Charlie, which seems unlikely. But if you are getting FF, that's all you need to do. You don't have to worry about when and where you will be handed off, that's the controller's job.

Unlikely yes, but I would still like to have the knowledge just in case. Can't hurt to have the information before hand, can it?

Not trying to be harsh, just want to make sure you have the right idea. This is what makes me still wonder? How would lowering your altitude on the course you posted be an issue?

:deadhorse:

If altitude and course changed.

I'm not sure if I'm giving off that impression but it's certainly not my intention. I am fully aware that I only need to contact them BEFORE I enter the Charlie. My plan is to not enter the Charlie but if something happens and I need to either change my course or lower my altitude then it would put me into the Charlie. I'm trying to find out who I would call in these cases, providing I wasn't switched over to them while on F2F.

FTFY.

You mean like an "emergency something happens"? In that case call tower and declare, or talk to whomever you are on frequency with at that moment and they can direct you.

If you did a proper pre-flight brief you should know if weather is going to affect your course and thunderstorms don't just pop up in front of you, they take a while to develop. Even so, you have plenty of room to turn around if you need to do so. Nothing else "should happen" that would force you into the Charlie, unless you actually WANT to go there. If you are talking to approach and they have traffic where they need to put you into the charlie they'll give you a squawk code and vectors.

Guess confused about what you are expecting to happen outside of an emergency? Or just being prepared? Prepared is good :).

But as others have said, there are numerous reasons and methods to get in touch with approach. No reason to not be on flight following though on a cross country unless you just don't want to be for some reason. If you started in KSRQ Tampa will have already passed you off. Sometimes they just put you on Flight Following without even asking.

1) I'd get FF as soon as able, whether that is from the tower at your departure airport or the departure frequency from your non-towered airport

2) Usually the VFR charts have the information you need.

If I wasnt sure, I would look to a field that is on your path of flight and see what their communication freq's are. In this case, PGD just NW of RSW states to contact FM 127.05. Better yet, get flight following after departure and it will be all handled for you

Back