N2005H military themed ercoupe!

Nice! How long did the month and a half restoration end up taking?

Pretty cool. Looks like it would be a blast to cruise around in! It just screams "I'm a fun airplane!" Hope it brings you lots of fun adventures and countless great flights.

So I guess about 4-5 actually were used for evaluation and found inadequate? I just find it funny that it seems people want to make a big deal of it. It's a pretty polish job.

So I guess about 4-5 actually were used for evaluation and found inadequate? I just find it funny that it seems people want to make a big deal of it. It's a pretty polish job.
The military also used it to test the jato rocket, so It was the first airplane to use a jato rocket, thanks the polishing tools some time!

Last edited:
The military also used it to test the jato rocket, so It was the first airplane to use a jato rocket
;) Look. I'm not hating on the 'coupe. It's a fine airplane. It's just funny to me that one has to grasp at straws to make it a military airplane on the basis of it's being evaluated for service (and turned down!). The Cub in contradistinction is a legit warbird...
https://warontherocks.com/2017/12/when-the-piper-cub-roamed-the-battlefield/

To each his own. For me, it's about as cool as painting a Prius Olive Drab with stencils and a white star.

Last edited:

So YOU ask him if it has any military history and he points out a link to some. Then YOU bash him for "making a big deal out of it"?

^hate^

I tend to be a bit hard-nosed about historical stuff. My criteria as to whether the Ercoupe could be considered a military aircraft would be based on two things:

1. Did it receive a military designation?
2. Are there contemporary photos of it with military markings?

Answers after five minutes online

#1: Yes. Two, actually. It received the designation YO-55, with the "O" the designation for observation, and the "Y" meaning service test. Sources say the designation was temporary. When tried out as a target drone, it was designated XPQ-13.

#2: From what I can tell, the YO-55s all retained their civilian markings. But here's the XPQ-13:
ercoupe.jpg

Also...for what it's worth... the TV series "Hogans Heroes" had at least one episode with an AAF-marked Ercoupe. If nothing else, it can be tribute to '60s TV. :)

I did a search for "Military Ercoupe" and was amused at the wide ranges of paint jobs. But the plane DOES have a military provenance.

Then again, owners of the homebuilt I fly have painted them in schemes from WWI Royal Flying Corps to 1930s US Navy to WWII Japanese Zero to Century-series fighter. Who would I be, to squawk? :)
bob_hills.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

;) Look. I'm not hating on the 'coupe. It's a fine airplane. It's just funny to me that one has to grasp at straws to make it a military airplane on the basis of it's being evaluated for service (and turned down!). The Cub in contradistinction is a legit warbird...
https://warontherocks.com/2017/12/when-the-piper-cub-roamed-the-battlefield/

To each his own. For me, it's about as cool as painting a Prius Olive Drab with stencils and a white star.

Hey, it’s no different than someone who never served in the military running around in a military uniform. We all think that’s okay, right?

Hey, it’s no different than someone who never served in the military running around in a military uniform. We all think that’s okay, right?
It is, in a historical context. I wear this sailor suit occasionally, though I never served in the US Navy. Do you consider this "Stolen Honor"?

uniform.jpg

I'll admit it does get me free drinks at the VFW on Friday night. :)

Ron Wanttaja

I like put on a dress and wear makeup every now and then but it doesn’t mean I’m a woman. Deep down I’m still a man and that’s all that matters.

It is, in a historical context. I wear this sailor suit occasionally, though I never served in the US Navy. Do you consider this "Stolen Honor"?

uniform.jpg

I'll admit it does get me free drinks at the VFW on Friday night. :)

Ron Wanttaja

I can think of a few other places it might get you free drinks as well...

Do you consider this "Stolen Honor”?
Too be honest, no. And I really don’t necessarily fall on either side of that battle. I don’t see why anyone would want to pretend they are something they are not (actual actors and folks such as yourself involved in some sort of commemoration excluded) and I don’t get people who get so tightly wound around the axle about it either.

I've flown both, with and without pedals, and they are both a delight to fly, but.... pedals give you an additional option.
Why give it up?
This.
With rudder pedals you can slip (cross-control) to lose altitude in a hurry. It's a nice option to have.

I've flown both, with and without pedals, and they are both a delight to fly, but.... pedals give you an additional option.
Why give it up?

So I have room for my feet:D

Flown both types also and no pedal version is roomier. If I ever bought one, I’d go no pedals since you don’t need them and at my somewhat advanced age, comfort rates high on the choice scale, albeit comfort in a ‘coupe is somewhat of an oxymoron.

Cheers

Back