The Seafood Thread

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
A beautiful piece of Sockeye is about to hit the grill in the @Ryanb household.

8FA006C3-DF21-46EB-BCDE-A61D026DA3AD.jpeg

Crab, Lobstah, Fish, Shellfish...what’cha like?

Where's your cedar plank? Gotta have the plank.

I hope you didn't get that salmon from Walmart or Safeway...

And white fish for me.... halibut or rock fish. Salmon has to be fresh out of the water for my taste.

My wife will eat the head, but make sure it has both eye balls in place...... yucko..

I hear that farm-raised salmon is pure white for some reason, and they have to dye it to look natural.

I really enjoy most. Went to Charleston, SC this weekend to attend my niece's high school graduation. Between yesterday and today, I had flounder, salmon and oysters. Fun times.

What is wrong with triangle, square and stick fish?

Gah! Everything is wrong with that! I'd rather eat a plate full of dried runny squirrel ****.

I worked at a seafood restaurant when I was in highschool. They taught me how to overcook everything. Difference between perfect shellfish and overcooked rubbery crapfish is seconds. Get your cook times and temperatures from a real pro chef, you can find them online, and stick to them.

I hear that farm-raised salmon is pure white for some reason, and they have to dye it to look natural.
Whole Foods

I believe you are correct. Part of the reason I only buy wild caught.
The color comes from carotenoid compounds that the fish gets from its food. Same mechanism as flamingos. Fish farmers generally have the compounds in the diet somehow. Some ways of providing the colors are more natural than others.
I'm not critiquing any one's purchasing decisions, merely explaining why salmon are salmon colored.

I hope you didn't get that salmon from Walmart or Safeway...

And white fish for me.... halibut or rock fish. Salmon has to be fresh out of the water for my taste.

My wife will eat the head, but make sure it has both eye balls in place...... yucko..

grizzly-bear-hunting-salmon-320x212.jpg

...and in the peak of the salmon run, the bears only eat the skin. Turns out it is the most nutritious part!

The color comes from carotenoid compounds that the fish gets from its food. Same mechanism as flamingos. Fish farmers generally have the compounds in the diet somehow. Some ways of providing the colors are more natural than others.
I'm not critiquing any one's purchasing decisions, merely explaining why salmon are salmon colored.
Correct.

I only elect to purchase the wild caught variety, which are obviously colored naturally. Much less fat, and low PCB count. Healthier in all ways.

Living on the water in sw Florida has made me a snob. If it's not local and fresh that morning I'm not eating it. Keep that pink stuff, give me a nice grouper or snapper fillet any day.

I like just about all seafood, especially grilled redfish, but for me nothing beats a low country boil with shrimp and crawfish. Cook it outdoors, spread it out over newspaper with lots of butter, wash it down with a cold beer. Key lime pie for desert.

And hushpuppies. It ain’t seafood, at least in the south, without hushpuppies.

I'll take me some eastern shore blue crabs....fresh from KCGE.;)

Attachments

• 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 279.jpg
    279.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 28
  • AD74583F-12F1-4D6F-A26B-B83E57B6A2B2.jpg
    AD74583F-12F1-4D6F-A26B-B83E57B6A2B2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
  • F2A2014F-1CC9-470A-9722-529482EE0BB4.jpg
    F2A2014F-1CC9-470A-9722-529482EE0BB4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 31
  • crabs cge.jpg
    crabs cge.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 29
  • crabs.jpg
    crabs.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 283.jpg
    283.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 31
Man, I’d love to go on a fishing trip in the cold waters and catch my own, fillet and eat.

Nothing like stopping at the river on the way home and catching dinner. Less than 30 minutes from the river to the grill. Fresh salmon on noodles.

Nothing like stopping at the river on the way home and catching dinner. Less than 30 minutes from the river to the grill. Fresh salmon on noodles.
Oh man! I envy that luxury!

Like all seafood, except squid.

Try squid like this:

DSCF4625.JPG
Stuffed squid for lunch on Mykonos in the Greek Islands 10 years ago. Absolutely fantastic!

Gotcha beat. I remember when I was a kid (late 1960s) catching trout in the river below the campground in Yellowstone NP and having them still flipping (even after being cleaned) as they hit the frying pan. Maybe 10 minutes after being pulled from the water. You don't get trout much fresher than that. I understand that these days its all catch and release.

Love seafood.....except for oysters. Man, they gross me out.

An oyster experience at St. Michaels, Maryland.

We made a stop at Oyster Cove for lunch and a break from the cool temps. I had the hot roast beef which I must say was very good. Mary had an oyster sandwich and a cup of soup that she seemed to enjoy and our friend Jo Anne had shrimp salad. While waiting for lunch a young couple maybe 30ish walked up next to the front window where we were seated. The father has a small tray of oysters and Mom and Dad both look to be asking the maybe 4 yr old daughter if she would like to try one. I'm already feeling ill just thinking about her slurping one down. Sure enough daughter slurps one down and thinks it's great. I turn green while Mary and Jo (oyster eaters) tap on the window and give the folks a thumbs up. The little girl just smiled. Mom smiled too but Dad puffed out his chest and gave the thumbs up right back......BLecccccccch...get the kid some fries will ya'!

I've learned to like oysters, especially fried in corn meal....use to gross me out....not no mo. Just like the crabs, they're better outta of the Choptank River.;)

Attachments

• 29CEE55D-896C-434F-9216-D3B8E68672B6.jpg
    29CEE55D-896C-434F-9216-D3B8E68672B6.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 12
I've learned to like oysters, especially fried in corn meal....use to gross me out....not no mo.;)

I haven't even thought about trying them that way. Maybe.....MAYBE, I would give them a try breaded or covered in the corn meal. I did say maybe.....ugh....maybe not.

I haven't even thought about trying them that way. Maybe.....MAYBE, I would give them a try breaded or covered in the corn meal. I did say maybe.....ugh....maybe not.
To start...give it a light dusting of old bay....and a splash of hot sauce. :eek::D

Not much better than fresh seafood...

I'm not too sophisticated when it comes to seafood. Seafood to me is a trip to Long John Silver's for some fish and chips.

I refuse to eat frozen seafood.

If you don't live where it's caught, you probably do. Even something sold as "fresh" was probably frozen on the boat. The USDA allows something to be "fresh" as long it wasn't frozen too much. In fact, frozen probably means higher quality that never frozen.

But it's still tastes better before freezing is a concern.

Nothing like fresh shrimp right off the shrimp boat. Take a trip to St Augustine or Fernandina. Well worth it.

If you like fried shrimp, don’t miss O’Steens in St Augustine, just east of the Bridge of Lions.

Living here in Ensenada, Seafood is life! After all, we invented the fish taco here.

Every Thursday my wife and I travel to Puerto Nuevo for Lobster Happy Hour there. :)

Too much good stuff!!

Shrimp, salmon, scallops, ling, barracuda, king crab, cod and slime head are all good....

I refuse to eat frozen seafood.
Same here. I mandate that it be thawed before I eat it.

Must be getting closer to real spring here on AK, the fish freezer is getting sparse. Only a few pounds of spots, butts, and reds remain.

I love me some spotted schkrump. It's good to have friends with boats. They sure are a waste of money. If I had money to buy a boat.....oh wait

If you don't live where it's caught, you probably do. Even something sold as "fresh" was probably frozen on the boat. The USDA allows something to be "fresh" as long it wasn't frozen too much. In fact, frozen probably means higher quality that never frozen.

But it's still tastes better before freezing is a concern.

I'm pretty close to the local stuff in Massachusetts. You can tell when it has been frozen, not as good. Fish like cod, haddock, shell fish like scallops.

Back