Picking up IFR Clearance at KDRO

Yogi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Yogi
Does anyone know if the Denver center can be reached over the radio while sitting on the ground at KDRO to pick up an IFR Clearance? If so, is it preferred compared to getting a clearance via FSS? Thanks.

Edit: DRO lists 118.575 as an RCAG frequency for Durango. Don't know how well it works.

But getting a clearance directly from the appropriate ATC facility is always preferred compared to calling FSS and waiting on the line while they having them call the appropriate ATC facility. That's part of the reason the FAA is beginning to publish direct ATC numbers in the AFD and we will probably see FSS relays go away over the next few years.

Some suggestions if you don't get a direct answer here. I've done all of them.
  • Are you there on the ground now? Ask someone local or one of the charter or airline guys.
  • Are you flying in? On the way in, ask Denver Center. If no, ask if they have a direct phone number to pick up a clearance (I've been doing that for a few years; most are happy to give you one).
  • Or just call Denver Center at 303-651-4100 and ask them.

https://www.aopa.org/ustprocs/20190523/chart/dro_chart_supplement.pdf

Use the RCO for FSS or check the AF/D to determine if Denver has a phone number for clearance delivery.

http://atccommunication.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ARTCCphone.pdf

@Yogi , I called. Greg at the OM desk said I’m not sure, I’ll connect you to the Area. Carl said just a minute I’ll go ask the controller at the Sector. Came back in about 10 seconds and said yeah, all the way to the ground there. Whole phone call took less than 30 seconds.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. I will use the Durango RCAG frequency to pick up the clearance on the ground tomorrow.

Edit: DRO lists 118.575 as an RCAG frequency for Durango. Don't know how well it works.

But getting a clearance directly from the appropriate ATC facility is always preferred compared to calling FSS and waiting on the line while they having them call the appropriate ATC facility. That's part of the reason the FAA is beginning to publish direct ATC numbers in the AFD and we will probably see FSS relays go away over the next few years.

Even sooner than that, the FSS phone relay service will be eliminated this summer. The Chart Supplement (aka AFD) will publish phone numbers starting with the next update, June 20, 2019.

Back