best pressurized twin piston

I had a 414A for about 15months. Only thing I miss is the wide cabin. I got tired of scrubbing flights for mx issues. Never trusted that damn thing. Ran a lot of numbers looking at alternatives. Now I fly a Super Cheyenne (Cheyenne I with -135a upgrade) and I could not be happier. Trouble-free. Best kept secret in aviation. Mx friendly for the owner-pilot, as mx is hourly-based rather than calendar-based in the King Air. Only good thing about the 414 is that it gave me ME hours, so insurance in the Cheyenne was a slam dunk (I have a commercial MEL which probably helped.)

Dang, I haven't been paying enough attention (or attending enough FlyBQs!)... Last I knew you were in the Meridian still!

I had a 414A for about 15months. Only thing I miss is the wide cabin. I got tired of scrubbing flights for mx issues. Never trusted that damn thing. Ran a lot of numbers looking at alternatives. Now I fly a Super Cheyenne (Cheyenne I with -135a upgrade) and I could not be happier. Trouble-free. Best kept secret in aviation. Mx friendly for the owner-pilot, as mx is hourly-based rather than calendar-based in the King Air. Only good thing about the 414 is that it gave me ME hours, so insurance in the Cheyenne was a slam dunk (I have a commercial MEL which probably helped.)

I had a feeling you’d really love the Cheyenne. I’m glad it’s working out so well for you.

I’d agree the Cheyenne is the best kept secret in aviation. Piper build quality with excellent performance. The MU2 is way too loud to be a secret and I love it, but it’s the right solution for a pretty small percentage of people.

Just be careful of anecdotal data. My 414 has been down for mx issues, and I don’t like it when it’s happened (but I’ve never been stranded anywhere.). OTOH I’ve flown a 414A for a guy for over two years now. Over 150 hours a year and never missed one trip for mx. There is a little bit of luck involved.
Yes, I’d like to have a turboprop. But my pocket can handle the mx required of a piston. A major problem (and such things do happen) in a turboprop would ground me.

Just be careful of anecdotal data. My 414 has been down for mx issues, and I don’t like it when it’s happened (but I’ve never been stranded anywhere.). OTOH I’ve flown a 414A for a guy for over two years now. Over 150 hours a year and never missed one trip for mx. There is a little bit of luck involved.
Yes, I’d like to have a turboprop. But my pocket can handle the mx required of a piston. A major problem (and such things do happen) in a turboprop would ground me.

I went with an Aerostar back in late 2011 for the same reason. After a year in, I was working with the local shop which specialized in turbines but would handle oil changes or AOG issues for me (had an electrical issue). Sitting down with the shop owner, for 100-200 hours a year I actually would have saved money going with Cheyenne, Meridian or any TP which did not have major calendar items. In terms of the oh sh** issues; I listened to him call and get a used replacement engine instead of fixing one when the plane owner had a really bad hot start.
The point being; there are many models of planes where there is a significant market of used engines and other parts available which can lesson an surprise costs. Last point, not all planes fit this model, e.g. I would stay away from Commander's with the Garret engines. There just is not enough of a used market for parts.....

Tim

I never scrubbed many flights with my 414A or 421B, but moving into a Conquest I did give me a lot more confidence in the engines! Maintenance is higher of course, but not terrible, burns more fuel, but fuel is cheaper and we’re going faster!

Back