Velocity TXL-5 turbo - how much would a certified version cost?

If a company decided to build it as a certified plane and add a BRS, I think it would be the best 4-5 seat SEL on the market.
It can’t be built certified. The Velocity is experimental.

It can’t be built certified. The Velocity is experimental.

The Columbia was originally the Lancair ES. Most experimental aircraft don’t meet part 23 certification requirements but if one does it would be possible for a company to certify it.

I know nothing about the Velocity so I can’t state whether it would be feasible.

The Columbia was originally the Lancair ES. Most experimental aircraft don’t meet part 23 certification requirements but if one does it would be possible for a company to certify it.

I know nothing about the Velocity so I can’t state whether it would be feasible.
Don’t quote me on it, but I do seem to recall someone asking about this in the past and the answer was that these specific types do not meet Part 23. Thus, it’s experimental only.

Don’t quote me on it, but I do seem to recall someone asking about this in the past and the answer was that these specific types do not meet Part 23. Thus, it’s experimental only.

And that's probably true. My point simply being, just because a plane is experimental does not mean that someone certifying the type is automatically impossible.

I'd heard some rumors that the Evolution was designed to meet Part 23 (and when I flew it it was certainly docile enough that it felt like a plane that could meet Part 23 standards). Of course it hasn't been certified yet.

Don’t quote me on it...
Too late.

...but I do seem to recall someone asking about this in the past and the answer was that these specific types do not meet Part 23. Thus, it’s experimental only.
Neither would original Lancairs. That doesn't mean that whatever wouldn't meet the spec couldn't be changed to comply. That might not be simple or easy, but you can't rule it out without knowing what doesn't comply.

Nauga,
compliant

A couple other examples: the certified Symphony was born from the experimental Glastar and the certified Grummans were born from the experimental BD-1 (although no kits were ever shipped in the BD-1's case).

Q: Velocity TXL-5 turbo - how much would a certified version cost?

A: More than could ever be recovered from selling the airplanes.

Why would any sane person try to certify another piston single in this market?
The whole industry doesn't sell a 1000 single piston airplanes in a whole year (according to the GAMA statistics 954 total last year, of which nearly 40%, 380 airframes, were from Cirrus).
In a limited market, with anemic growth and no scale opportunities, the only feasible and sensible new product business strategy is to market a luxury product - limited volume, "exclusive", high margin, ego stroking, country club bragging material.
Does anybody think there's room for a second company in the single piston aircraft market to compete with Cirrus in this luxury product segment? Seriously?
Hell, Mooney is all excited because they went from 7 to 14 airplanes sold last year. Woopee.
The only faster way to lose money than spending it certifying a new single piston airplane was buying Lyft on the IPO. Maybe.

Still skeptical? Have a look at Tesla. Great product, originally. Utterly ridiculous company that has no hope of survival intact. One of the most efficient destroyers of capital ever listed on the NYSE.
The Model S was exactly the right luxury product strategy - elegant, stunningly beautiful design, exclusive, high margin, ego stroking, country club bragging material.
Where did it go off the rails? When Tesla tried to sell the idea of an "economical mass market" product. We're still waiting for that $35k Model 3 (not to mention the "entry level Model S, another product that never appeared). Tesla figured out quickly enough they needed to sell upmarket (read: higher margin) Model 3s only.
And this in a market, EV automobiles, that has a lot more scale opportunity than the piston airplane market. Tesla would have been better off coming out with the Gen Two Model S (a la Cirrus) and selling it at Rolls Royce prices.

Over the decades I remain constantly amazed at the amount of money that gets poured into one aviation dream after another. Adam Aircraft, Eclipse, Lancair/Columbia, Liberty, Symphony, not to mention the attempted resurrections of previous certified aircraft such as the Tiger and Commander. Graveyard economics writ large.

Last edited:
A couple other examples: the certified Symphony was born from the experimental Glastar and the certified Grummans were born from the experimental BD-1 (although no kits were ever shipped in the BD-1's case).

And neither are in production today.

Without FIKI, pressurization and a parachute, it wouldn’t sell anyway. $130K and only two weeks of my time and I’ve got all that in a Raptor. :rolleyes:

Without FIKI, pressurization and a parachute, it wouldn’t sell anyway. $130K and only two weeks of my time and I’ve got all that in a Raptor. :rolleyes:

Nicely done, with just the right amount of snark. Have you been up there to visit those guys? I'm thinking of making a short trip up there one day to see if there is anything to see.

Nicely done, with just the right amount of snark. Have you been up there to visit those guys? I'm thinking of making a short trip up there one day to see if there is anything to see.

They’re (CNI) only about a 40 minute drive down the road for me. Got my ME there last year. Haven’t been down there since they moved to the airport though. I’m thinking about offering my services as a chase aircraft for the first flight next month. :D

It can’t be built certified.
True E/AB aircraft would have a long path to Part 23 certification, but it is possible as mentioned above. But don't forget about S-LSA aircraft which are on a different path and are basically "half-way" to that certification level. The Part 23 rewrite incorporated a number of concensous standards (via ACs) as the path to Part 23 cert. There are/were several European LSA OEMs looking into the differences/similarites of these LSA/certification standards. But I have not read of any updates lately.

Back