Pork BBQ in danger!

BestEsteemedHochstettersfrog-small.gif

Round up the feral pigs.

Not around here. I bought a four pound butt last week, it was all of five dollars.

Not here. Yesterday morning I went over to for my annual trip to my butcher Va. I picked out a nice pig and he had him all prepped and ready to put on the pig cooker in four hours. The pig is sitting in the smoker now. Should be ready late morning. Party begins at 6PM.

Not here. Yesterday morning I went over to for my annual trip to my butcher Va. I picked out a nice pig and he had him all prepped and ready to put on the pig cooker in four hours. The pig is sitting in the smoker now. Should be ready late morning. Party begins at 6PM.

Bit late to invite us to fly in for that. :D

Seems like a good reason to get to know your local pig farmer. For anyone in Connecticut, Firefly Farms in North Stonington has a good product. They raise heritage breeds mulefoot hogs, Randall lineback cattle, and a few breeds of chicken. http://www.firefly.farm/home.html

I'm all about heritage breeds. The executive director of the Livestock Conservancy is in my spare room right now. She advised me on how to select a good pig. My former strategy was to pick out a cute one, because they'd probably be tasty.

Seems like a good reason to get to know your local pig farmer. For anyone in Connecticut, Firefly Farms in North Stonington has a good product. They raise heritage breeds mulefoot hogs, Randall lineback cattle, and a few breeds of chicken. http://www.firefly.farm/home.html

We used to raise pigs when I was a kid. It's a lot of work, something we all know us Americans are moving away from.

However, I'll start doing it again if it means the only way I get bacon, tenderloin and sausage.

Yeah, I scored about a nine pound butt the other day at $1.99 a pound. Shoulders were going for $2.99 a pound. I'll take a butt over a shoulder any day of the week. Leaner, doesn't have a hammy taste, and makes better pulled pork.

I'm all about heritage breeds. The executive director of the Livestock Conservancy is in my spare room right now. She advised me on how to select a good pig. My former strategy was to pick out a cute one, because they'd probably be tasty.

Beth Tillman who founded Firefly Farms (that I noted above) with her son is on the board of directors for the Livestock Conservancy.

I’m curious what you’ve learned about how to select a good pig.

She likes those with certain spots and the right ears.

The live weight is about $1/lb. The yield runs just
Sounds like fun, how much did it cost/pound
edit; pork steaks $2.49/pound here

The whole pig cost me $147 this year. I figure I got probably 50 lbs of meat out of it. I mix it all together: ham, bacon, butt, rib meat, etc... and shred it.

But we're not crazy enough to buy porkLL from China, are we? We breed our own here.
(yes, I understand the global financial implications)

ASF is a major concern. China has already lost twice the entire US output.

With all the problem feral hogs cause, I’m surprised you would say that.

Don't get me wrong... Piggies are yummy and I certainly appreciate a good pork belly/bacon/ham. It's just not in the Barbecue food group, historically.

IMG_0303.jpg

Not around here. I bought a four pound butt last week, it was all of five dollars.
Beat me. My 6# butt yesterday cost $9 and change. It'll feed both of us for four days and another two days worth will go in the freezer.

Barbecue is Beef.

Pork is for sammiches...
I was born in Texas and love bbq beef as much as anyone.
But when I go to bbq joints in Texas, I am always disappointed that they are mainly about pork.
But that's ok. I have eaten all kinds of animals bbq'd. But I like pork best. It is juicier and tastes better.

Beef is for steaks. Nothing beats a good beef steak.

Last edited:
Or in Louisiana, "If it didn't make it across the road, it is dinner".

I cannot confirm that I've checked deer on the side of the road for freshness....... It might have happened.... Or not. But only in winter, never in warm months.

I cannot confirm that I've checked deer on the side of the road for freshness....... It might have happened.... Or not. But only in winter, never in warm months.
What would the standard be for that? If you were to ever do that.

What would the standard be for that? If you were to ever do that.

Check for heat. A rectal thermometer wells well. If its still got some heat in it, its fresh. Much below 60 degrees I pass. We are talking about it being 40 deg and below outside. Gotta be fresh, or so I have heard.

Chicken, brisket, pork butt, or pork ribs. If it's smoked, it's q. I'm a brisket and pork combo guy, myself.

Back