Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are displaying your lack of knowledge. There is no oil pressure sensor. It is a mechanical gauge.
In my plane it’s a sensor. I know this because I did my own overhaul and replaced my old gauge with a sensor. So I do know a little bit about the subject.

And sensor or gauge is irrelevant to knowing it should have been recommended for replacement. In my case I recommended it to myself and I did it. I also spun my motor up with the starter and no plugs to verify I had oil pressure before I started it the first time. So I knew I had a good sensor and oil pressure before subjecting my brand new engine to its first start.

I also put my cowl completely on before running the engine for the first time. I had to take it back off to make some adjustments and put it back on again, but I had the best possible cooling for my engine AND definite oil pressure with a working gauge/sensor for its first run.

But, I’m not an A&P, So I guess all my precautions were stupid.

Last edited:
It is not necessarily the message he is trying to make, but more the manner in which he tends to convey his ideas. Just look at the first sentence from this thread.

"I learned my customer replaced his engine because of a bad oil pressure gauge"

To me, this means someone replaced an entire engine rather than troubleshooting a low oil pressure indication issue.

Meanwhile the real reason the engine was replaced is much more involved.

"To begin with this engine has not been apart since installed in my 140 before 1980. It is significantly past TBO. It is using lots of oil. Some months ago I lost a cylinder on take off which made for a heart throbbing experience getting it turned around and back on the runway. Turned out to be a hydraulic unit I think. About four years ago I was about 900 miles from home and lost all oil pressure requiring the pressure regulator to be removed and cleaned. A month or two ago, the oil pressure fell dangerously low, and that was the straw that broke the camels back. The engine was past due"

While hyperbole may sell tickets to the circus, providing factual statements to an internet forum would go a long way to keep this place civilized and informative.

Why do you read Toms posts. If they bother you so much Just ignore them and save yourself grief.

Maybe because some people here know that he is today's equivalent to what Henning was when he was here.

Henning was knowledgeable on some topics, but pretended to be knowledgeable on ALL topics. Some people here shadowed him and responded to his BS posts in an attempt to keep an unwitting member from killing themself by following his advice when he had no clue WTF he was talking about...which was far mor often then when he did know WTF he was talking about.

It's called COMMUNITY SERVICE!

That's exactly what people are doing with Tom.

Me? I've seen his work, I've ridden in his work, color me extremely underwhelmed and of the opinion that he'll never touch an aircraft of mine.

And no, I'm not an A&P either. But I was rebuilding small engines when I was 10 years-old so I have just a bit of mechanical aptitude. Small airplanes are far less complex than tractors and cars and I've rebuilt more than my share of those over the last 40 years.

Last edited:
I don’t need to be an A&P to be right that he should have recommended a new oil pressure sensor given the facts. Of course, the facts change every time he posts, so who knows. I also don’t have to be an expert to see that he intentionally leaves out the important information. Then he acts like he knows better because he didn’t tell the whole story. That rubs me the wrong way and I will continue to call it out when I see it, whether you like it or not. I have no idea if the guy is a good mechanic or not because he isn’t a straight shooter. You never know how much of the story you’re getting when you talk to the guy. Not the type of person I like to deal with, even if he has turned a lot of wrenches.

I am an A&P, I kinda disagree. If a customer brought in an old engine without mags and said it was low on oil pressure I would take their word for it. Should I bill the customer another half a day or a days work to verify what I was told? As a knowledgeable customer I would be pretty ****ed off about that. Again it goes back to if Tom was asked to troubleshoot the engine or just to remove this one and replace because it was low on oil pressure and a new one was on the way. Hindsite is 20-20 and I would guess every mechanic has sound something similar over the years.

Tom-D certainly likes to post some click bait, basically like the entire internet does. But some of his most loyal haters make themselves look pretty stupid at times when trying to make him look stupid. This is one of those times IMO. My thoughts as a lurker.

I am an A&P, I kinda disagree. If a customer brought in an old engine without mags and said it was low on oil pressure I would take their word for it. Should I bill the customer another half a day or a days work to verify what I was told? As a knowledgeable customer I would be pretty ****ed off about that. Again it goes back to if Tom was asked to troubleshoot the engine or just to remove this one and replace because it was low on oil pressure and a new one was on the way. Hindsite is 20-20 and I would guess every mechanic has sound something similar over the years.

Tom-D certainly likes to post some click bait, basically like the entire internet does. But some of his most loyal haters make themselves look pretty stupid at times when trying to make him look stupid. This is one of those times IMO. My thoughts as a lurker.
Wow.

That's an infinite amount of wisdom you've gained in a mere four months.

I might suggest that you get back with us in another ten years or so after you've been putting up with Tom's BS as long as many of us here have. You've only seen the tip...no...you haven't EVEN seen the tip...of the iceberg.

If he’d spun up the engine with the starter (assuming the plane has a starter), to verify oil pressure before starting the engine up, he could have done more troubleshooting before firing it up when he saw none. Dunno about continental, but my lycoming overhaul manual recommended this simple procedure. I actually read and followed it.

If he’d spun up the engine with the starter (assuming the plane has a starter), to verify oil pressure before starting the engine up, he could have done more troubleshooting before firing it up when he saw none. Dunno about continental, but my lycoming overhaul manual recommended this simple procedure. I actually read and followed it.

Either you guys aren’t reading what I wrote or you’re intentionally trying to irritate me.

You are talking as if he fired up the engine with no oil pressure. Nothing could further from the truth. We turned it by the prop and verified some oil pressure before start up. Upon start up, the oil pressure was within Continental limits. The new engine was never in danger. You say that he saw no oil pressure. That is not true. He says no oil pressure much the same way you might say you’re out of gas, when you mean you are low on gas.

I was done with the engine and bought one from Tom. There was no need at all to check oil pressure on the old engine. It was nothing to me beyond a set of core parts. He brought the new engine and hung it. There was no need whatsoever to spin the old engine. I was done with the old engine.

We spun the new engine by the prop to prime it and it showed adequate oil pressure on start up. The oil pressure was within limits, but seemed low, so we verified oil pressure with a known good gauge. There are no risky or careless procedures here. The new engine was never in danger.

Yes, with the old engine, I believed the oil pressure gauge when it was slipping slightly lower than the lower limits, but given the difference in pressure from the good gauge to the bad, the old engine was still not a picture of health. I listed all the things that were wrong with it. Less than stellar oil pressure was only one factor in my decision. I was no longer comfortable flying behind it, so it was time.

Either you guys aren’t reading what I wrote or you’re intentionally trying to irritate me.

You are talking as if he fired up the engine with no oil pressure. Nothing could further from the truth. We turned it by the prop and verified some oil pressure before start up. Upon start up, the oil pressure was within Continental limits. The new engine was never in danger. You say that he saw no oil pressure. That is not true. He says no oil pressure much the same way you might say you’re out of gas, when you mean you are low on gas.

I was done with the engine and bought one from Tom. There was no need at all to check oil pressure on the old engine. It was nothing to me beyond a set of core parts. He brought the new engine and hung it. There was no need whatsoever to spin the old engine. I was done with the old engine.

We spun the new engine by the prop to prime it and it showed adequate oil pressure on start up. The oil pressure was within limits, but seemed low, so we verified oil pressure with a known good gauge. There are no risky or careless procedures here. The new engine was never in danger.

Yes, with the old engine, I believed the oil pressure gauge when it was slipping slightly lower than the lower limits, but given the difference in pressure from the good gauge to the bad, the old engine was still not a picture of health. I listed all the things that were wrong with it. Less than stellar oil pressure was only one factor in my decision. I was no longer comfortable flying behind it, so it was time.
Funny this information didn’t come out the five other times I mentioned it, but when I call tom out the facts change again. THIS is exactly why I don’t like Toms posts. I’m the one that educated people on the right way to do it, but now you two are claiming Tom taught us all this with his clever posting.

The two of you call me names and denigrate me, and then say I’m hating. That’s not the way it looks from my side. I have not called anyone names.

That is what they do, spin it, mis quote it, say anything.
When you call them on it your a troll.

I’m the one that educated people on the right way to do it,
B. S.
You already admitted you don't know squat.

I doubt you could diagnose a knot in a shoe lace, and get it right with out 2 What If's

In my plane it’s a sensor. I know this because I did my own overhaul and replaced my old gauge with a sensor. So I do know a little bit about the subject.
Very Dam little, and this ain't your Lycoming.
You've been told that several times, You just don't catch on.

It is not necessarily the message he is trying to make, but more the manner in which he tends to convey his ideas. Just look at the first sentence from this thread.

"I learned my customer replaced his engine because of a bad oil pressure gauge"

To me, this means someone replaced an entire engine rather than troubleshooting a low oil pressure indication issue.

No, It means I learned that was the reason. Turns out it was just the final straw.

Who’s the one with hate on this thread? I’ll let the reader decide for themselves.
Who like always turned it into a ****ing contest with all the What If? And he should have's
Who has admitted he doesn't know squat about Continentals yet continues to blather like an idiot. to save face?
in My humble opinion you should simply go away and grow up. Because this thread alone demonstrates you are not the expert you think you are.

Who like always turned it into a ****ing contest with all the What If? And he should have's
Who has admitted he doesn't know squat about Continentals yet continues to blather like an idiot. to save face?
in My humble opinion you should simply go away and grow up. Because this thread alone demonstrates you are not the expert you think you are.
Feeling defensive?

Tom is not a chemist and doesn’t claim to be. As an aircraft A&P, IA and overall aviation guru, his knowledge is a mountain. If you want chemistry, go to a chemistry forum, or just go anywhere else for that matter.
There are those on this page that demonstrated many times they consentrate on others mistakes.
It is character trait they can't help. But it does tell us a lot about them.
I've made a lot of mistakes, I learn by them, and move on. They can't because it makes them feel good about them selves to belittle others.

or...you should stop reading Cap'n Jack's posts....:D
I did that a long time ago, and so is Dr. what's his face. and now salty
Unfortunately when they make a post in a thread we are following we see they did.

There are those on this page that demonstrated many times they consentrate on others mistakes.
It is character trait they can't help. But it does tell us a lot about them.
I've made a lot of mistakes, I learn by them, and move on. They can't because it makes them feel good about them selves to belittle others.

I learn from your mistakes, too.:)
Threads like this certainly don't help you, and tell us a lot about you too.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/100ll.112890/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back