Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's exactly right. Air is a fluid too, and applies pressure all around us. What am I saying that is incorrect? You are merely restating what I said.
No he didn't, Your lack of the basic terminology gives you away.
Had you understood why we wrote we wouldn't be here.
But no, you've got to twist it to fit your agenda

I'm done, go away Jack. your continuing hate is a bore.

No he didn't, Your lack of the basic terminology gives you away.
Had you understood why we wrote we wouldn't be here.
But no, you've got to twist it to fit your agenda
Again, pressure is a force applied perpendicular to a surface over an area. He also said that.
It is not resistance, as you stated.

I'm done, go away Jack. your continuing hate is a bore.
Tom- I really don't hate anyone.

Yes, that's exactly right. Air is a fluid too, and applies pressure all around us. What am I saying that is incorrect? You are merely restating what I said.

You didn’t say that. You kept insisting that pressure is only applied perpendicular to a surface indicating that you didn’t understand fluids.

That said, please accept my apology for any insults I might have made. After meeting and getting to know Tom, it just frustrates me to see him hammered the way he is on this forum. I expect that on this forum there are many people that wouldn't make a pimple on Tom’s neck.

Again, pressure is a force applied perpendicular to a surface over an area. He also said that.
It is not resistance, as you stated.

Good grief. I explained that! As resistance decreases in a flow, the pressure decreases. In a captive, flowing fluid, the pressure is applied perpendicular to all surfaces. As the bearings wear, there is more cross sectional area for flow. That means less resistance to flow. That means less pressure.

That is in it’s simplest form. That is the way it could be explained to an eighth grade science class. I am quite sure that my eleven year old grandson could understand this if presented in the simple way.

You didn’t say that. You kept insisting that pressure is only applied perpendicular to a surface indicating that you didn’t understand fluids.

That said, please accept my apology for any insults I might have made. After meeting and getting to know Tom, it just frustrates me to see him hammered the way he is on this forum. I expect that on this forum there are many people that wouldn't make a pimple on Tom’s neck.
Well. thank you for that.
But I feel there are a great many members that are readers that are silent readers.

Actually, that is the definition of pressure. Pressure is a result of many things ranging from applied pressure, weight, or simply someone pushing against something.

Please understand that Tom has sometimes posted beyond his knowledge and he has reacted poorly to those that have questioned him about it. I'll leave it at that.

Good grief. I explained that! As resistance decreases in a flow, the pressure decreases. In a captive, flowing fluid, the pressure is applied perpendicular to all surfaces. As the bearings wear, there is more cross sectional area for flow. That means less resistance to flow. That means less pressure.

That is in it’s simplest form. That is the way it could be explained to an eighth grade science class. I am quite sure that my ten year old grandson could understand this if presented in the simple way.
How bad do bearings, journals, etc need to be before the pressure gets so low? Wouldn't a malfunctioning oil pump also cause low pressure?

You did good to be cautious with the old engine.

How bad? Bad enough that the pressure falls below factory limits. Of course pumps fail, but that is far less frequent than worn bearings. Worn bearings are part of normal wear. Many variables are involved, but the bearings will wear out at some point. A properly operated and maintained engine may never wear to low oil pressure, but there are just many variables. An oil pump in most any engine will almost always outlive the rest of the engine.

By the way. We are not talking about pressure. We are talking specifically about OIL pressure. I don’t know what you’re googling, but whatever it is won’t result in an engineering degree.

Actually, that is the definition of pressure. Pressure is a result of many things ranging from applied pressure, weight, or simply someone pushing against something.

Please understand that Tom has sometimes posted beyond his knowledge and he has reacted poorly to those that have questioned him about it. I'll leave it at that.

How bad do bearings, journals, etc need to be before the pressure gets so low? Wouldn't a malfunctioning oil pump also cause low pressure?

You did good to be cautious with the old engine.
Either and all are contributing factors, it is worn out.
the way oil pumps are made plus running under pressure at all times, It would be rear occasion they would wear out.

Ain't happening here.
And it is only your twisted interoperation that you speak of,
so, when you revert to this we know you are at the end.

So don't embarrass your self any farther

I just wonder how many of you who seem to look for anything at all to rag Tom about, have ever met him?

I thought that I explained the situation pretty well. There were multiple reasons for replacing the engine. I bought an engine from Tom and he came to Texas to hang it and to see his daughter while he was here. I pulled the mags and sent them off so they would be ready for him when he got here, so he was unable to run the old engine himself, but even if he had, he would have seen low oil pressure among many other maladies, and been talking to an owner who was ready to replace it for many good reasons. He did not decide to replace the engine. I made the decision and made it clear earlier in the thread the multiple reasons for that decision. So since I said I was ready to replace it, why would he bother to check the gauge first? When we started the engine and pressure was within limits, but not as high as expected, he put a known good gauge on it right away. We found out what was up and kept moving forward.

I have worked in the hangar with Tom for several days, helping wherever I could. Working with someone several days gives you the opportunity to get to know them personally, see how much skill and knowledge they have as well as learn what they are about. I also took him through the war bird museum, another opportunity to see his MASSIVE aircraft knowledge. He also is generous to those in need. I won’t go into it, but he did a significant part helping someone in need while he was here. He is not a permanent member of our airport community, but he pitched in with the rest of us as if he were. The guys at the airport have been duly impressed with him.

Tom is honest, hardworking and pleasant to be around. I think he started this thread just to have fun with it. At any rate I really just don’t understand why people rag on him here. He is a good resource and a great asset to any community. He is someone who is honest, fair dealing and I like to think I can call he and his lovely wife Barb our new friends.

Oh, and by the way, my little Cessna now has a solid, sweet running engine.
A lot of it has to do with how he trolls the board. Much like he did with this thread. His first post was a straight up troll turd. Once in a while, it’s having fun. When it’s everything you ever post is trolling. That’s pretty much the answer to your question.

I wish there was a "I hate this member" button. You get so many "hate" votes you get kicked off the board.

These people who ceaselessly attack and twist every word Tom says are like a cancer on this board.

Some find it entertaining. I just find it sad and disturbing and after years of enjoying this board Im getting to the point of not wanting to follow it anymore.

This nasty crap just sucks the joy and learning experience out of it. All because of a few pathetic losers.

I wish there was a "I hate this member" button. You get so many "hate" votes you get kicked off the board.

These people who ceaselessly attack and twist every word Tom says are like a cancer on this board.

Some find it entertaining. I just find it sad and disturbing and after years of enjoying this board Im getting to the point of not wanting to follow it anymore.

This nasty crap just sucks the joy and learning experience out of it. All because of a few pathetic losers.
I hope you are not referring to me. I don’t hate Tom. Nor do I know anything about him in real life. I’m simply pointing out that his behavior on this board in many cases is poor. That’s all I know of him so it’s all I can reference when talking about him.

You are correct that some on here do go way to far. Hope I’m not perceived as being in that group.

He simply indicated low oil pressure when he wrote “no” oil pressure. Lots of people talk like this. They might say that their car is “out of gas” when it is actually low on gas.

So this accurately describes what you did?
I learned my customer replaced his engine because of a bad oil pressure gauge.

Because it does not at all convey what you said. It intentionally leaves out the actual reason you did work on your engine. Some people don’t like when others intentionally leave out information to confuse or misdirect them.

Where is the learning when the initial post doesn't describe the situation?

Tom's a troll. He continuously makes "stump the chump" posts with only partial information and then revels in the ensuing arguments. It's his modus operandi.

Ever notice that he says "I'm done" in these threads but then continues to come back for more? Why? Because he loves it.

I"m confident that if your "hate button" was created, Tom would be voted off the island long before his detractors. The man is toxic.

If everyone (including me) would just heed:

A35AF1C3-D10B-46F2-BD3C-960783FCA4C6.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not an A&P.

My experiences are an extremely small sample, and are not representative of the population of rebuilt engines. I probably flew with maybe 2 rebuilt or new engines.

Note the admitted lack of knowledge and experience doesn't prevent these two gasbags from threadcrapping every time Tom posts something.

Note the admitted lack of knowledge and experience doesn't prevent these two gasbags from threadcrapping every time Tom posts something.
You may want to look again. We don’t always dispute Tom. Only when he is wrong.:)

Tom has told chemists the following gems:
- Water isn’t a solvent
-Ammonia is an acid

So of course, his threads get more scrutiny. We also don’t call him names.

Tom is not a chemist and doesn’t claim to be. As an aircraft A&P, IA and overall aviation guru, his knowledge is a mountain. If you want chemistry, go to a chemistry forum, or just go anywhere else for that matter.

Tom is not a chemist and doesn’t claim to be. As an aircraft A&P, IA and overall aviation guru, his knowledge is a mountain. If you want chemistry, go to a chemistry forum, or just go anywhere else for that matter.
But he'll still post as if he were one, and argue with chemists that they are wrong about these simple things. Those are things that, to use your terms, are known from 8th grade.
If he posts beyond his knowledge in something so easily verified, how can one trust him with information that isn't nearly solely in the realm of A&P?

Here is something he posted that is very wrong, the way he posted it:
That is one advantage of the powder types of glue, they aren't sensitive to moisture.

But he'll still post as if he were one, and argue with chemists that they are wrong about these simple things. Those are things that, to use your terms, are known from 8th grade.
If he posts beyond his knowledge in something so easily verified, how can one trust him with information that isn't nearly solely in the realm of A&P?

Here is something he posted that is very wrong, the way he posted it:

Why do you read Toms posts. If they bother you so much Just ignore them and save yourself grief. That is, of course, unless you only read them so you can make grief for others, which is apparently what you do. Just stop reading them and make life easier for yourself and prevent others from having to read your constant hatred.

Why do you read Toms posts. If they bother you so much Just ignore them and save yourself grief. That is, of course, unless you only read them so you can make grief for others, which is apparently what you do. Just stop reading them and make life easier for yourself and easier for those who have to read your constant hatred.
He's great entertainment. Like I said before, I don't hate Tom, nor anyone else here.

However, if you see a "news" channel that mixes falsehoods with facts, you'll stop trusting them, won't you? Especially with information that you can't verify yourself? The post I quoted is actually dangerous, if someone were to follow that advice as given.

You are free to stop reading my posts if they bother you so much.:)

I found the ignore feature, but having trouble making it work. I will keep working on it.

I will definitely take you up on not reading your constant and hateful attacks on a good man. You might want to self examine for your own good.

See ya’!

I found the ignore feature, but having trouble making it work. I will keep working on it.

I will definitely take you up on not reading your constant and hateful attacks on a good man. You might want to self examine for your own good.

See ya’!
Again, you are the one bringing up hatred. I never questioned his character either. I appreciate, and am thankful, for Tom's service to our nation. But he ain't perfect. Heaven knows I'm not either.

I don’t know who you paid off, but Cap’n Jack is a name that is not recognized in the ignore function.

Do you have a previous moniker that would help me eliminate your writings from my screen.

I don’t need to be an A&P to be right that he should have recommended a new oil pressure sensor given the facts. Of course, the facts change every time he posts, so who knows. I also don’t have to be an expert to see that he intentionally leaves out the important information. Then he acts like he knows better because he didn’t tell the whole story. That rubs me the wrong way and I will continue to call it out when I see it, whether you like it or not. I have no idea if the guy is a good mechanic or not because he isn’t a straight shooter. You never know how much of the story you’re getting when you talk to the guy. Not the type of person I like to deal with, even if he has turned a lot of wrenches.

I don’t need to be an A&P to be right that he should have recommended a new oil pressure sensor given the facts. Of course, the facts change every time he posts, so who knows. I also don’t have to be an expert to see that he intentionally leaves out the important information. Then he acts like he knows better because he didn’t tell the whole story. That rubs me the wrong way and I will continue to call it out when I see it, whether you like it or not. I have no idea if the guy is a good mechanic or not because he isn’t a straight shooter. You never know how much of the story you’re getting when you talk to the guy. Not the type of person I like to deal with, even if he has turned a lot of wrenches.

You are displaying your lack of knowledge. There is no oil pressure sensor. It is a mechanical gauge.

You are displaying your lack of knowledge. There is no oil pressure sensor. It is a mechanical gauge.
A Bourdon gauge, right? If so, it detects pressure via the tube inside the gauge "unbending" under pressure. It uses a mechanical connection to display the pressure in this case, but the Bourdon tubes have been connected to potentiometers since the 1920's or so. Many other pressure sensors are based on mechanical displacement- strain gauges, capacitance transducers both measure the movement of deflection of something due to pressure and convert it to an electrical signal. It's reasonable to call a Bourdon tube a "sensor".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back