Number of approaches for IR ride

If you are using Foreflight, down load the ACS , part 61 and 91. Then every time you have a question, find the answer, book mark it with a descriptive entry and highlight it. I figured this out late in my training and it helped tremendously for the oral. I also downloaded the AIM, terps, chart supplement, part 97, 8083-2, TAC legend, IFR low legend, NOAA imagery legend, VFR chart legend, Aeronautical chart user's guide and AWC contractions, plus the ifr handbooks. I used them all and it was easier to find answers in those then Sporty's course. Once you find an answer, book mark it, works great.

Many thanks for the suggestions, Paul! I will do that.

Many moons ago, I did an ILS/LOC approach. Called out the minimums for the LOC and continued on the ILS to a miss. Did the published hold and came back for a VOR/ DME arc. I may or may not have labeled an ADF as INOP for the ride...
To do a LOC on a checkride you have to use a radio (normally the #2 radio) that doesn't show the GS otherwise you a just doing an ILS

To do a LOC on a checkride you have to use a radio (normally the #2 radio) that doesn't show the GS otherwise you a just doing an ILS
Eh? Not required. Nothing prohibits you from using an advisory glideslope on a non-precision approach. The one thing you need to make sure if you are flying the LOC is honor the MDA for that approach. Unlike the DA on the ILS, there is a hard floor there. Drop below the MDA and it's a fail.

There are loc only approaches too, a few around here.

Eh? Not required. Nothing prohibits you from using an advisory glideslope on a non-precision approach. The one thing you need to make sure if you are flying the LOC is honor the MDA for that approach. Unlike the DA on the ILS, there is a hard floor there. Drop below the MDA and it's a fail.

This also applies for any fixes between the FAF and the MAP. Following the ILS glideslope on a localizer approach could get you in trouble.

kmedic also said that once he announce minimums for the LOC he continued down the GS to DH and then did the miss. That is not doing a LOC but just another ILS because the MAP for a LOC is not the MAP for an ILS.

Last edited:
Yep, if you're supposed to be flying the LOC and you head below the LOC MDA, you've just failed your checkride.
You can descend below the DH if you're supposed to be flying the ILS, provided you have initiated the missed at the DH.

I did my IR at an airport with no VOR (or approach) and this was in 2017.

Started out with the XC part and then return to the field. Did the Localizer with circling. Then went missed, off to the GPS and did the hold. Once released from there, off to do the approach - then ILS and the DPE insisted that he wanted to see the wheels touch down on this approach (other two were low approach only). Then off to do unusual attitudes. All-in-all 1.7 in the bird.

Back