Can I get help on how to fly a VOR radial or fly to a VOR using Aspen and GTN750

Jamie Kirk

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JamieK
My checkride is next week and have been using and know how to use the steam gauge to accomplish this but my instructor informed me the DPE will want me to demonstrate it using the Aspen also. My instructor is not familiar enough with the Aspen and GTN750 to show me with confidence and told me I need to ask someone who knows. We fumbled around and figured it out in the air yesterday but neither of us could explain it when we were done.

The DPE will also want me to demonstrate the autopilot flying a VOR radial.

If someone can explain to me how I configure the Aspen/GTN750 to do the following so I can up and practice it I'd appreciate it.

Scenario 1, fly to a VOR

Scenario 2, fly the VOR 132" radial

Equipment:
GTN 750
Aspen Evolution 2000
S-Tec 55X autopilot

There is a free iPad simulator app for the GTN 650/750. That would be a good place.

I know of no way to intercept a radial using the GTN using the autopilot.

There is a free iPad simulator app for the GTN 650/750. That would be a good place.

I know of no way to intercept a radial using the GTN using the autopilot.

The Aspen handles it. For the GTN750 you just set NAV and I believe it was OBS and then you control it all through the Aspen.

You can create a waypoint in the GTN pretty easily, and then use that. You can also put in the VOR and then OBS from it.

You’ll have to go up with someone and do it for real I imagine to get the feel Of handling it with your other workflow. Don’t want to do alot of fumbling with DPE in plane. CFI would be great but if you have a friend that can go up with ya would be fine too. I learned a lot that way on a longer trip with a buddy who knew the 430w upside down.

My checkride is next week and have been using and know how to use the steam gauge to accomplish this but my instructor informed me the DPE will want me to demonstrate it using the Aspen also. My instructor is not familiar enough with the Aspen and GTN750 to show me with confidence and told me I need to ask someone who knows. We fumbled around and figured it out in the air yesterday but neither of us could explain it when we were done.

The DPE will also want me to demonstrate the autopilot flying a VOR radial.

If someone can explain to me how I configure the Aspen/GTN750 to do the following so I can up and practice it I'd appreciate it.

Scenario 1, fly to a VOR

Equipment:
GTN 750
Aspen Evolution 2000
S-Tec 55X autopilot

The Aspen pilots guide is a very good resource. From the guide:

NAV Mode Operation – VLOC Navigation
1. Using the CDI Source Select button, couple a tuned/valid VLOC radio to the PFD CDI and adjust the Course Pointer (CRS) to a value that will intercept the course.
2. Set the PFD Heading Bug
3. Engage the autopilot in Heading (HDG) mode and verify that the aircraft turns to the desired heading.
4. If your autopilot supports automatic Heading to Navigation mode transitions, arm Navigation capture on the autopilot by selecting its Navigation (NAV) mode. Otherwise, select the autopilot’s Navigation (NAV) mode when the autopilot’s navigation signal capture criteria are satisfied (see your autopilot AFMS for more information).
5. Monitor the PFD CDI deflection and verify that, upon intercepting the desired course, the autopilot modes transition appropriately and the autopilot tracks the desired course.

To intercept a VOR radial I believe you just adjust the course pointer to the desired radial (132 degrees).

The pilots guide is here:
https://aspenavionics.com/documents...FD Pilots Guide for Web 2.8.2 public site.pdf

And now that you got useful replies, have your CFI mark it as "INOP" :)

I would still consider also using the "steam gauge" at the same time with the explanation that it allows a simple backup and cross check.

And now that you got useful replies, have your CFI mark it as "INOP" :)

I would still consider also using the "steam gauge" at the same time with the explanation that it allows a simple backup and cross check.

Have to be real careful with this. There are requirements associated with inoperative equipment. Some DPE's can be real sticklers about it. See 91.213d(3).

It might not come up on a PPL checkride, at least not as failing, but my CFI DPE was all over me about the gps message light that came on on the placarded but still connected inoperative GPS CDI needle (plane had dual CDI for VOR NAV and a smaller CDI for the VFR-only GPS [visibility requirement]).

DPE went on to talk about how often he has candidates bring him unairworthy planes for one reason or another and how you cant just slap an inoperative sticker on something and call it a day. I got the sense that he was a bit nit-picky about the planes, probably because he was also a mechanic but depending on the issue usually still flew and issued the certificate (along with a list of repairs the plane needs) and had only had a few occasions where the checkride had to be discontinued or disapproved due to issues he found with the plane.

In the case of a PPL, I also wonder if a student pilot can technically comply with 61.213d(4) which to me means the DPE should verify all equipment and determine whether its functions or is inoperative and/or properly deactivated before the checkride.

Have to be real careful with this. There are requirements associated with inoperative equipment. Some DPE's can be real sticklers about it. See 91.213d(3).

It might not come up on a PPL checkride, at least not as failing, but my CFI DPE was all over me about the gps message light that came on on the placarded but still connected inoperative GPS CDI needle (plane had dual CDI for VOR NAV and a smaller CDI for the VFR-only GPS [visibility requirement]).

DPE went on to talk about how often he has candidates bring him unairworthy planes for one reason or another and how you cant just slap an inoperative sticker on something and call it a day. I got the sense that he was a bit nit-picky about the planes, probably because he was also a mechanic but depending on the issue usually still flew and issued the certificate (along with a list of repairs the plane needs) and had only had a few occasions where the checkride had to be discontinued or disapproved due to issues he found with the plane.

In the case of a PPL, I also wonder if a student pilot can technically comply with 61.213d(4) which to me means the DPE should verify all equipment and determine whether its functions or is inoperative and/or properly deactivated before the checkride.
First, good for making it clear about the requirements about inoperative equipment.

I was only joking about the "inop", I tried to indicate that with the smiley icon and "now that you got useful replies", but I suppose some people actually do that.

I'm sorry. I'm not sure enough about the scenario being asked to be helpful. It sounds so basic that I am probably misunderstanding it. Direct To [VOR as waypoint] and Direct To [VOR] but dial in the course in OBS mode (or switch to VLOC) along with the associated Aspen changes to or from GPSS HDG and NAV modes can't possibly be what is being looked for.

Plus, I'm stuck at the combination of "checkride next week" and instrument training with a CFI who is unfamiliar with the primary equipment in the aircraft.

I never have understood why anyone would go to all the trouble to set up a gps to emulate a good working VOR receiver. There is nothing more simple than identifying a station and setting the OBS, then you can stop fiddling with knobs and menus and fly the airplane.
Depends. There are definitely situation where switching is much faster, but the normal use is, you are on a loaded flight plan and given an amendment to proceed direct to a VOR, then continue on.

Why wouldn't you take the time to (1) insert the VOR into the flight plan and proceed direct to it instead of (2) finding the frequency, tuning it, identifying it, switching to VLOC, and then undoing all that later?

(2) is far more fiddling than (1).

Ever watched someone using a KLN94 put the VOR in their flight plan while hand flying in IFR conditions ? I could do it in a heartbeat in ForeFlight....
Yes. But ease of use is dependent on what equipment you have rather than GPS vs VOR as broad categories. The OP is specifically asking about a GTN 750 (not to mention an autopilot) where it's as easy as I described. Direct to the VOR is not more than 8 taps taking about as many seconds, and that's if there is more than one waypoint in the database with the same 3 letter ID and you have to confirm which one.
https://i.imgur.com/Dg99GbD.mp4

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I'm not sure enough about the scenario being asked to be helpful. It sounds so basic that I am probably misunderstanding it. Direct To [VOR as waypoint] and Direct To [VOR] but dial in the course in OBS mode (or switch to VLOC) along with the associated Aspen changes to or from GPSS HDG and NAV modes can't possibly be what is being looked for.

<SNIP>
That may be all he needs

I read this and probably read too much into it:
I thought it meant intercept and fly the VOR 132 radial using the autopilot. Reading again now, I doubt that's what he meant.

That may be all he needs

I read this and probably read too much into it:

I thought it meant intercept and fly the VOR 132 radial using the autopilot. Reading again now, I doubt that's what he meant.
Could be. But all that would take was choosing a different course to than Direct, in this case the 312 reciprocal of the 132 radial. You might have to go to HDG mode for the initial set-up, but, depending on the autopilot, you might be close enough for it to intercept on its own.

upload_2019-5-25_9-15-38.png

But that's what I meant about the second part. That sounds way too basic unless the CFII didn't understand the equipment at all.

I never have understood why anyone would go to all the trouble to set up a gps to emulate a good working VOR receiver. There is nothing more simple than identifying a station and setting the OBS, then you can stop fiddling with knobs and menus and fly the airplane.

Your revised clearance is:, "Hold Lejon, Southwest on the Stonewall 248 Radial, 5000, blah, blah".

fullsizeoutput_896.jpeg

With only a single GPS/VOR navigator with the CDI selected to VLOC (or, with a single good working VOR receiver, for that matter), a pilot's going to be busier than a one-armed paper hanger trying to fly that hold.

Switch the unit back to GPS, however, direct Lejon, in OBS Mode with a 248º From "radial", and it becomes a whole bunch simpler.

(Yeah, yeah ... I know. With a GTN 750 like the OP has, 99% of us are just going to have it do its "Hold at Waypoint" thing, and follow the steering. But it's still fun to at least try to remember how OBS Mode works.)

Last edited:
On the 750 push in on the tuning knob and it will change from com to nav. Tune the feq to the VOR.

You’ll need to change the CDI most likely from NAV to VLOC, I would suggest changing the bottom right quadrant of the map to the CDI button to make the switch super quick.

You’ll then need to use your Aspen as your OBs and turn it to your current course to the VOR. Then If they ask you to fly a specific intercept turn the OBS to desired and intercept the track.

FYI during my check ride, the C152 I was flying has dual G5’s and a 650. Also had a kx155 and bendix CDI. I just used the kx155 to demonstrate VOR. DPE never asked for me to show how to use the 650 and G5 for VOR as I had loaded in our flight and the GPS was active. He did ask if I could use the 650 for VOR if kx155 failed. A simple yes sufficed for him.

Last edited:
Back