How do you pronounce "Bologna?'

• Total voters

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
We know how it's spelled, but how do you pronounce it? Bull-og-nah, or Bal-OH-knee?

I'm waiting for the inevitable comment . . . it's bound to show up soon . . .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Same difference as Cirrus vs. Bonooney...

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

I pronounce it the same as the citizens of the city in Italy with the identical name.

Now caramel vs carmel is what really ****es me off

What about tomato and tomato?

or, the infamous, potato or potato?
En-vee-lope, or en-velop?

Ca-ribb-ean, or Car-uh-bee-un?

The St. Louis area, where I grew up, has some interesting redneck pronunciations.

Forty = Farty

Library = Libary

And my fav...

There is no Further.

There is no Farther.

They are both Futher.

The St. Louis area, where I grew up, has some interesting redneck pronunciations.

Forty = Farty

Library = Libary

And my fav...

There is no Further.

There is no Farther.

They are both Futher.

Don't forget "Woreshington".

Oscar Meyer pink stuff- Baloney

Weavers Lebanon Bologna - bologna.
(Sweet bologna is the best )

Man, I grew up on fried BALONEY sammiches and now I'm hungry.

I can't remember the last time I ate it.

When in Bologna, do as the Bolognese do.

Grew up calling it bal oh née... first time I saw bologna on the school lunch menu I didn’t know what it was...

But then what the heck is lasagna??

"Mortadella"

The OED lists the pronunciations all of the sort of Ball-ahn-ya or Ball-OWN-Ya (the latter being ascribed as the US pronunciation). Ball-Ogg-Na is right out.

The substitution of Baloney which is an etymologically different word is noted but the connection is described as "conjectural." Baloney as "humbug or nonsense" goes back to the 1920's, but the use of it to refer to the lunch meat is not long thereafter, 1935).

The etymology suggest that Baloney might be a corruption of Polony, which dates back to describe a sausage variant in the 17th century. Oddly, that word's etymology sys it's derived from Bologna.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the inevitable comment . . . it's bound to show up soon . . .

the one about adding slaw to it?
the one about mustard?
the one about how ketchup is the devil's work?
the one about how it has to be fried first?
the one about using an egg as a condiment on the baloney sandwich?

The thing about boloney is that you don't realize how bad it is for you until you fry/microwave it and see all the grease left.

I've never tried it, but I suspect you can pull off microwaving a slice of baloney better than you can a hot dog.

In some parts of Baltimore, a hot dog comes wrapped in a slice of fried baloney. Kind of interesting taste actually.

Pronounced baloney. Spelled either, though baloney works better for context.

Also, Bologna should sue over being associated with that word.

How do you pronounce "Bologna?

Just like many other pseudo-foods; “Not steak”

the one about adding slaw to it?
the one about mustard?
the one about how ketchup is the devil's work?
the one about how it has to be fried first?
the one about using an egg as a condiment on the baloney sandwich?

The thing about boloney is that you don't realize how bad it is for you until you fry/microwave it and see all the grease left.
I was actually expecting one about the thread being a bunch of baloney.

I had hundreds of sandwiches with the circular, flat meat, as a child. I'm not a huge fan of the stuff now, no matter *how* you pronounce it.

Because geometry? Or because composition?

The few times I've tried nuking a hot dog, it just split at the ends and was very unappetizing. I haven't tried a piece of baloney. If I would have thought about it a few days ago when there was still some in the fridge, I might have tried it.

Years ago I was in Maine and the local fire department was running a smoker with all kinds of stuff in it and one was hunks of baloney (cut from an unsliced roll).

The few times I've tried nuking a hot dog, it just split at the ends and was very unappetizing. I haven't tried a piece of baloney. If I would have thought about it a few days ago when there was still some in the fridge, I might have tried it.
It has been my experience that microwaving any kind of meat produces an undesirable result.

Back