Busy Sun n Fun Arrival

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
For those that don't mind aviation videos:

This was our first Sun n Fun and there were some fun moments on our way in. During our initial descent ATC (unknowingly) tries to turn us into clouds to avoid traffic. We then enter the gauntlet of planes and hold with them at Lake Parker. Air Traffic Control clears us out of the hold and we join the arrival procedure into a busy 9L arrival. Turning final with all that was going on I almost lined up for the runway (even though I briefed it a ton) and then remembered 9L is the taxiway. We learned a few lessons on our first Sun n Fun arrival and will be ready for the next one!

A controller confused (sort of) by ATC. Who’d a thunk it? Maybe it was the Flight Review “given” by BrYan?

Thanks for sharing. Nice piloting:cool:

Cheers

Last edited:
Always an adventure going in there. I went in 2017. Started off by a near miss with an RV4 going opposite direction. Picked up all the traffic on TIS heading inbound from Parker...so much for transponders off. Found a couple of amphibs and decided to follow them at 80 kts :(. Everything would’ve worked out until ATC told me to turn base when the amphib in front of me had just turned base. No way I could get it slowed behind him. I had a 45 degree bank in with the stick to the aft stop and the canard stalled. The nose is pitching up and down and I’m maybe 500 ft behind the guy, knowing full well I’m gonna have to do a go around. Fortunately, an old buddy of mine is just arriving to the tower, sees my predicament and says “send that Velocity around!” I get the go around from tower and then a downwind for the IFR / warbird runway with no issues. Taxing to HBC, I recognize the guy parking me is from my old airport. He had actually crashed 10 years earlier at SnF. Crazy.

Really can’t believe there aren’t more midairs there. It’s fun, but it can be a madhouse getting in.

Last edited:
I've flown into OSH around 3 dozen times. I went to SnF once, and prepped the way I do for OSH: Reading the NOTAM at least twice, making a flowchart/cheat sheet, etc... I was appalled that the ATIS was pretty much a reading of the NOTAM (and did not have any winds or altimeter setting!!!), the controllers at Lake Parker and in the tower were pretty much just telling everyone what to do, etc... You could have easily gone in having never read the NOTAM and nobody would be able to tell.

I'm convinced that half of the stupid pilot tricks at Oshkosh are from people who have flown into SnF, think it's no big deal because they tell you what to do, and then try to fly into Oshkosh unprepared.

That was insane to watch! The instructions from the controllers were confusing me. There were multiple twins and multiple Cessnas but they kept referring to the planes as Cessna or twin. I think your extra set of eyes and ears was a big help on that one!

That was insane to watch! The instructions from the controllers were confusing me. There were multiple twins and multiple Cessnas but they kept referring to the planes as Cessna or twin. I think your extra set of eyes and ears was a big help on that one!
It's for sure a unique type of ATC that only happens at OSH/SnF as far as I know. Pretty cool how they are able to safely get as many planes in and out as they do at these events. Even though she isn't a pilot, she is a tremendous help in the cockpit with the eyes/ears. :)

I've flown into OSH around 3 dozen times. I went to SnF once, and prepped the way I do for OSH: Reading the NOTAM at least twice, making a flowchart/cheat sheet, etc... I was appalled that the ATIS was pretty much a reading of the NOTAM (and did not have any winds or altimeter setting!!!), the controllers at Lake Parker and in the tower were pretty much just telling everyone what to do, etc... You could have easily gone in having never read the NOTAM and nobody would be able to tell.

I'm convinced that half of the stupid pilot tricks at Oshkosh are from people who have flown into SnF, think it's no big deal because they tell you what to do, and then try to fly into Oshkosh unprepared.
This being my first time, there were for sure some noticeable differences from OSH. I like the different flavors of the different events. I think you're right about the people that have been there thinking OSH is the same being in for a surprise. Very different up there with obviously more traffic. It is nice that OSH has 2 arrival runways (when they use them) vs their one. I'm excited to get back to OSH this year. Fingers crossed that the grounds aren't too wet for twins...that has caught me before.

Love your videos. Can’t wait to see what you do with your avionics next.

If you are thinking Avidyne still I love reading there forum website.
Thank you...glad you're enjoying them! The next video is my Aeroshell demo flight and we do some avionics shopping at SnF. :)

Back