Fat Albert

Hope they have a spot for it,at the museum in Pensacola.

Hope they have a spot for it,at the museum in Pensacola.
“The team will be transported via Fleet-provided logistics, until a permanent replacement aircraft is identified. Fat Albert will enjoy her retirement as a ground-based training aid in Fort Worth, Texas."

I agree Pensacola would be a better spot for it.

They’ve already got a Blue Angel Fat Albert at NPA. It’s the one that served on the team (1991-2002) before this one.

Just saw one of her last flight here in KSNS Salinas in March. Impressive short field take-off as usual.

-David

Fat Albert (C-130T) made its last flight. Not sure why they just didn’t get an extension til the end of the season and introduce its replacement next year. If indeed they do get a replacement (C-130J).

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2019/05/22/u-s-navy-blue-angels-retire-beloved-fat-albert/1200390001/
I'm guessing that they found something that does not allow an extension. It was down for an extended period a couple of years ago. They needed a replacement wing. ( which came from the scrap yard) This A/C is designated to go to Texas to be a training aid. 30,000 + TT

Just saw one of her last flight here in KSNS Salinas in March. Impressive short field take-off as usual.

-David
I have a photo somewhere of the LAST RATO take-off. Towards the end, the world-wide supply of RATO units were dedicated to this particular aircraft.

I subscribe to the Pensacola News Journal and they stay on top of all things "Blues." A few PNJ numbers: Purchase price for a low mileage, slightly used RAF C130J is 27.1 mil. A savings of 50 mil or so.
BTW, if you are in the P'cola area on a Tue or Wed drop in and watch the Blues practice sessions. They start at 1130. Enter the rear gate.and enter the parking lot for the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Good view from the rear of the parking lot or walk down the hill into the museum restoration shop area. After the session, the blues will be at the museum lobby to sign autographs. Look for the Tomcat on a pole.

I forgot. They get their Super Hornets next season.

I forgot. They get their Super Hornets next season.

Next year’s winter training but won’t perform until the 2021 season...tentatively.

Was this C130 modified structurally in any way?

Was this C130 modified structurally in any way?

Article mentions modifications but it’s not clear if it requires them or not. I image the J model still has ECM/IRCM all over it that will be removed. Other than that that, can’t see it requiring a structural modification. Not like they’re removing a cannon and installing a smoke generator. :D

For a second I thought you guys meant this Fat Albert down in the keys: https://www.bigpinekey.com/blimp-fat-albert-history/

Strange, never knew it was named Fat Albert. In 96 I was in the back of a C-12 and flew past Fat Albert (blimp) on the way to NQX and filmed it. Never even knew those existed at the time. That same year I actually flew in the back of the other Fat Albert (Blues).

Last edited:
That's sad. I just flew over Fat Albert over pensacola the other day. Wish I could have gone and seen the last flight

Shouldn't the name be changed to Morbidly Obese Albert to satisfy the PC crowd.???

I’m not sure that would be PC correct either. Maybe “we’ll above optimum BMI range” would be better. A bit long though. Might be hard to fit that on the side of the aircraft.

That's sad. I just flew over Fat Albert over pensacola the other day. Wish I could have gone and seen the last flight

It’s not the end of Fat Albert. They’re just retiring the current airframe and getting a new one painted and set up. Except for it not being at airshows this year, for all practical purposes nothing is changing.

It’s not the end of Fat Albert. They’re just retiring the current airframe and getting a new one painted and set up. Except for it not being at airshows this year, for all practical purposes nothing is changing.
Yea I know, but it was THAT plane that I saw at all the airshows growing up

I subscribe to the Pensacola News Journal and they stay on top of all things "Blues." A few PNJ numbers: Purchase price for a low mileage, slightly used RAF C130J is 27.1 mil. A savings of 50 mil or so.
BTW, if you are in the P'cola area on a Tue or Wed drop in and watch the Blues practice sessions. They start at 1130. Enter the rear gate.and enter the parking lot for the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Good view from the rear of the parking lot or walk down the hill into the museum restoration shop area. After the session, the blues will be at the museum lobby to sign autographs. Look for the Tomcat on a pole.

Thanks for the information. I plan on being at the museum on Wednesday, July 31. I'll have to watch.

The United Kingdom had retired most of its short-fuselage J models, which it had designated Hercules C5s, following the 2010 Strategic Defense and Security Review. The original plan had been to remove all of the RAF’s Hercules from service, including its long-fuselage C-130J-30s, or Hercules C4s, in favor of the Airbus A400M. Issues with those aircraft led the United Kingdom to retain 14 of the extended length J models.

Has there ever been a bigger failed military aircraft than the A400M? The KC-46 is running a close second.

A timeline of the almost 40 year ordeal...

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE6570PE20100608

Back