What's in a First Class medical?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hello Docs,

I need to go for my First Class medical. Since my AME is not a Senior AME, that also means I'm going to have to get a new AME... And that always makes me nervous to begin with (because it might be this guy).

So, calm my nerves (or make 'em worse): What's in the First Class medical exam that's not in the Second Class, or has tougher standards?

Dr. Long Fingers will do everything that’s necessary, just relax....

98DBBF34-14C4-4EEA-9EA9-64423C58F4AF.jpeg

Tighter vision standards, shorter time before renewal, and a test to make your your heart has a good rhythm.

My first First Class was done by a doc who made it a long, painful ordeal.

Every one since then has been a breeze. I found a semi retired doc who does not take insurance of any kind. He knows me and uses sound judgement with regard to the changes in my health due to age. That is an ideal situation, IMO!

My first First Class was done by a doc who made it a long, painful ordeal.

Every one since then has been a breeze. I found a semi retired doc who does not take insurance of any kind. He knows me and uses sound judgement with regard to the changes in my health due to age. That is an ideal situation, IMO!

Yeah, that's the guy you want... But going to a new one always makes me nervous, because you don't know if that's the guy you're going to get.

My first medical was a third class back in 2016, and I just went and got my first class in January. I don’t remember every detail about the third class but I can’t think of anything that was any different as far as the procedures go. I the standards are just a little higher...

I believe just the EKG.

Is that for everyone, or only certain ages? Do the AMEs generally have the equipment to do that in-house?

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good first-class capable AME in the Milwaukee area? Company recommended one in Oshkosh but he's booked up for a month and I'd like to get this done in the next week or two if possible. Thanks!

If I remember right the first EKG is due at age 35, then every year starting at age 40.

I think just the vision requirement changes. It’s pretty easy to get. The regs spell out the exact requirements.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back