Weight loss meds

F

Fatty

there are a number of new meds for weight loss that include antidepressants. Contrave includes Wellbutrin. Qysima includes topamax. Weight loss docs often prescribe Wellbutrin or topamax as well as others. With no history of anxiety or depression how does the FAA look at the temporary use of these meds for weight loss?? Is the med itself a “do not fly” or is the underlying condition more the issue??

I dunno, but if you’re overweight, medication should be the very last thing to ever consider.

They’re ineffective long term and it’s really the lazy man’s way out.

No drug or surgery will ever work without a change in lifestyle. A permanent change in lifestyle. And that's free; it may even save you money in the long run. Do that change in lifestyle first, and see how things are going in a few months.

No drug or surgery will ever work without a change in lifestyle. A permanent change in lifestyle. And that's free; it may even save you money in the long run. Do that change in lifestyle first, and see how things are going in a few months.
^^^This. I started eating healthier - not giving up anything, but cutting way back on carbs (especially rice, pasta, and bread), eating more lean protein, and more salads and fruits and vegetables, along with eliminating evening snacks. I also started going to the gym 4-5 days a week for 45-60 minutes. Worked with a trainer for the first couple of months to get into a good balanced cardio/core/strength routine. Started all of this in October and have dropped 40lbs so far (from 232 to 192). I feel much better these days and have much more energy.

^^^This. I started eating healthier - not giving up anything, but cutting way back on carbs (especially rice, pasta, and bread), eating more lean protein, and more salads and fruits and vegetables, along with eliminating evening snacks. I also started going to the gym 4-5 days a week for 45-60 minutes. Worked with a trainer for the first couple of months to get into a good balanced cardio/core/strength routine. Started all of this in October and have dropped 40lbs so far (from 232 to 192). I feel much better these days and have much more energy.
I'm down about 13 lbs. doing the same as you, minus the gym. About 30 more to go. Eating healthier foods, and eating a healthy evening snack vs. high carb snacks helps a lot. And I feel better.

I carry a little too much weight around my stomach, and what motivated me as much as anything was when I read of someone asking the question, "How many 80 year olds do you see with excess belly fat?"

Answer: almost none!

To the OP, I would stay away from weight loss medications. Do it the right way if it all possible.

what motivated me as much as anything was when I read of someone asking the question, "How many 80 year olds do you see with excess belly fat?"

Answer: almost none!
That must’ve flown right over my head. Explain?

That must’ve flown right over my head. Explain?
Excess belly fat contributes to a higher risk of heart disease. Most people with excess weight around their waist never make it to 80.

Edit: I wouldn't mind making it to 80 and beyond.

Excess belly fat contributes to a higher risk of heart disease. Most people with excess weight around their waist never make it to 80.

Edit: I wouldn't mind making it to 80 and beyond.
Yep. Old fat men are rare.

Maybe I need to re-think my diet, then. Dad left us at 79, and was active and happy up til the end. Mom passed at 91, and I wouldn't live her last 6-8 years if you paid me. Grandma lived to 96 and was pretty miserable. Living much past 80 seems way over-rated.

Remember this:

ayds-appetite-reducing-candy.jpg

For some reason it didn't go over very well................

Actually it did, for a lot of years. I remember seeing them all the time back in the 60s & 70s.

In general, the med itself is a “do not fly while taking” situation. Check with your AME for specifics.

Actually it did, for a lot of years. I remember seeing them all the time back in the 60s & 70s.

Yea, in the 80's a product that caused one to lose weight called Ayds sounded too similar to a disease of the same name. :eek:

Maybe I need to re-think my diet, then. Dad left us at 79, and was active and happy up til the end. Mom passed at 91, and I wouldn't live her last 6-8 years if you paid me. Grandma lived to 96 and was pretty miserable. Living much past 80 seems way over-rated.
No doubt some people don't have good quality of life when north of 80. Others have great lives. No guarantees for sure. My parents are in their mid-70s, thin, and doing great. Barring something debilitating like Alzheimer's, dimensia, stroke, etc., I can easily see them enjoying life for several more years. But again, no guarantees.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back