Propeller install

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
Hi everyone,

The propeller I'm selling has never been used and I do have a potential buyer for it. The owner of the prop can't find any of the paperwork that may have come with the prop when it was acquired.

The reason they know it's new is because it basically sat in a box for a decade or two after their husband passed away before he could install it in a plane. I called Sensenich and they can trace the serial number back to 1973. So this is a completely unused prop that was never installed, but was manufactured 46 years now. Same model as the one they make today, same specs.

My question is, if the paperwork cannot be found what sort of documentation can/should I provide to the buyer to prove this is a airworthy prop and to ensure this doesn't raise any concerns about the airworthiness of the aircraft post-installation?

The prop is stamped with the Serial, Type Certification and model. The engine it's going on is a O-320 which is what the model is rated for, and the plane it's going on doesn't require a special STC for this prop.

Update: Prop sold

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's really up to the A&P that is going to install it. Some will be fine with no paperwork, as they'll be comfortable using their own discretion to read the P/N and S/N from the prop and determining that it's appropriate for the airplane, etc. Some will want you to have a prop shop go through it and send it back with an 8130, etc. showing that it's been inspected and is airworthy.

It's really up to the A&P that is going to install it. Some will be fine with no paperwork, as they'll be comfortable using their own discretion to read the P/N and S/N from the prop and determining that it's appropriate for the airplane, etc. Some will want you to have a prop shop go through it and send it back with an 8130, etc. showing that it's been inspected and is airworthy.

Thanks Brad! Don't suppose you know generally how much something like that costs? I am leaning towards going that route regardless, particularly because it's not my prop and I'm a fan of paperwork :).

Thanks Brad! Don't suppose you know generally how much something like that costs? I am leaning towards going that route regardless, particularly because it's not my prop and I'm a fan of paperwork :).

For a fixed pitch prop, I'd assume in the $500-750 ballpark, plus shipping both ways. Call a few prop shops and ask.

With out a log book and some way to show the condition of the prop, you have a chunk of aluminum.
What A&P is crazy enough to return that prop to service as new with out proof?
Send that prop to a prop shop for a IRAN and a new log.

With out a log book and some way to show the condition of the prop, you have a chunk of aluminum.
What A&P is crazy enough to return that prop to service as new with out proof?
Send that prop to a prop shop for a IRAN and a new log.

Yeah I really wish I had the paperwork from the previous owner. It's still a factory prop though, paperwork or not. Serial checks out, model is correct, TC is right. However, I do see your point. The owner is fine with doing all the paperwork and getting a fresh 8130 if that's what it takes to get it sold. Still I'd rather discount the price and sell it "as-is" with some assurance that if it doesn't check out for any reason, no obligation to continue the sale (if it comes to that).

I have no reason to believe this will fail any inspection it goes through, but I get it :). Appreciate the feedback.

Update: Prop is being sold with fresh paperwork. I updated my post in classifieds and removed the link above.

Back