Cherokee 180 Update

Paul_Havelka

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Paul_Havelka
So when flying around with my instructor we got to talking about planes he may know of for sale and he mentioned a Cherokee 180 that was at my home drone and not listed for sale but the owner quite possibly be willing to sell it. I called the owner and he said go ahead and take her up and told me where the key was. She flew great and the swmbo gave her blessing. I’m currently working with the bank but leave for vacation on Friday for 8 days and then leave for work for 4 weeks as soon as I get back home. The current stack is a kma24, kx155 w/glide slope (tied to a ki209), and an empty tray where an at50 used to reside. Our plan is to keep the kx155 as com/nav2 and ditch the rest. The new additions would be a gns430w, AXP340, amp240, and a g5 hsi. I know the 430w is “dated” but it is still a workhorse and something I’m familiar with since that’s what is in my instructor’s Cherokee and as much as I’d love to throw an ifd440/540 in it it just isn’t in the cards at the moment. The AXP340 transmits at 240 watts and the audio panel has pretty much the same features as all of the other brands top tier units.

The plans for this plane are for me and my son to finish up our ppl and get our ir in it. My son is planning to get his commercial and CFI and then use this plane to instruct in and at that point potentially buy it from me and I will then upgrade to whatever floats my boat at that point.

While messing around in the panel is there any better way to arrange the shotgun panel into a more traditional layout?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a 1966 C model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What does swmbo stand for?

How many planes have you looked at? Good luck. Sounds like fun.

ETA: She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Google helped. I’d look at a few planes. Maybe you’d like a Grumman or Cessna better? How many training hours do you have?

If this 180 doesn't have one, I'd spend the Garmin G5 money on getting a TruTrak autopilot installed. LOTS more bang for your buck with a good autopilot in IFR conditions than a G5.

If you have purchasing approval from the War Dept, pull the trigger and aim later. Nothing wrong with selling down the road if you discover you want something else.

The shotgun panel will grow on you. It doesn't take that long to relearn where to look, just like transitioning to any new aircraft.

I’ve looked at several so far. As far as training hours I currently have 12. I have been up with several friends before in their various makes of planes and just really like how this 180 handled. My son wants to purchase the plane from me once he gets his cfi/cfii and at that point I’d most likely be looking into a Mooney, bo, or maybe even a smaller twin.

As far as the g5 goes I don’t want to spend 1-2 amu on a used cdi just to have it go tango uniform when I can get the g5 for $3,000. We don’t really plan to fly ifr much but want the ratings so we have the ability to when needed. The AP discussion will be had down the road but the TT is definitely a viable option in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shotgun panel will grow on you. It doesn't take that long to relearn where to look, just like transitioning to any new aircraft.
Agreed. The Cherokee C panel isn't all that bad. It has the avionics conveniently grouped on that tall stack just to right of center. It's not the standard "six-pack" or 'T' grouping of flight instruments, but you'll get used to it, especially considering what it would cost to rearrange everything. For comparison, look at a pre-1962 Bonanza. :confused:

Loved my 1965 Cherokee 180C when I had it. Nice plane to train in and use for some cross countries. FYI the 180's are about 11"-12" shorter than the archers that replaced them, but you have a greater useful load with the hershey bar wings.
New_controls.jpg

If this 180 doesn't have one, I'd spend the Garmin G5 money on getting a TruTrak autopilot installed. LOTS more bang for your buck with a good autopilot in IFR conditions than a G5.

Except the G5 money ends up in saving tons over crappy DG overhauls and replacements and vacuum replacements. And then you can get a GFC500

While messing around in the panel is there any better way to arrange the shotgun panel into a more traditional layout?

This is the closest I could get without cutting the panel.

Cherokee Panel.jpeg

Back