Well ready for my pre solo stage check. Took the written and just waiting for time with the chief.

Well completed my night xcountry last night after one previous attempt while losing all comms leading to turn back and termination of flight . Then 3 nights of cancellations do to a front. It Started off well until I got into the pattern at my destination which had a direct crosswind. Awos showed calm winds so I wasn't prepared for it. Luckily it was a gentle wind but still literally direct which was deceiving . I decided to go around on my first attempt because the crosswind pushed me too close to the runway and on base i felt fast and knew i was going to overshoot final. I managed to kill a bird on my second attempt on the transition and landed safely . My 3rd attempt landed safely not perfect but missed a rabbit on the runway. My 4th attempt on the round out I instinctively dodged a bird and dropped the nose which lead to the nose wheel touching first (smh) . I felt a bit behind last night and it's frustrating. I was forgetting small things that I always did. From basic descent checklist, landing lights, noticing I left carb heat on on my go around, and even my communication was off. I kept forgetting to announce "left" downwind runway xx. I just said downwind runway xx. Well will see how things go from here on out. Not feeling as confident as i did before. I am just going to shake it off and be mentally more prepared next time. The night flight just through me off.

Awesome Carlos! I can't wait to get to the night flight part of training. We did two night flights together last fall. Mainly to figure out all the lighting (interior) and how to set things. While flying we were watching this big operation harvesting with several combines and a line up of big semi's all with their own night lighting. And the big city skyline looks cool. I could see how a person could totally loose the horizon if it were hazy and/or just plain dark out. My biggest memory though was how the runway looked like a empty black hole with all the lights around it.

I brought with several small lights to have around the neck, finger, etc all to try out. In the end these little finger lights come with small clamps that be adjusted won. We both clipped them onto the headband of our DC headphones - like a poor man's mic-light. Set the power to about half and aim down towards the yoke / lap so you can read any gauge, charts and checklists with just one hand.

The biggest issue we had at night was the Garmin Pilot running in night mode on the Android was too bright. On the next flight I had a separate app to better adjust the display for nite and now we can use the tablet at night and not be an issue for night vision, distraction, etc.

Awesome Carlos! I can't wait to get to the night flight part of training. We did two night flights together last fall. Mainly to figure out all the lighting (interior) and how to set things. While flying we were watching this big operation harvesting with several combines and a line up of big semi's all with their own night lighting. And the big city skyline looks cool. I could see how a person could totally loose the horizon if it were hazy and/or just plain dark out. My biggest memory though was how the runway looked like a empty black hole with all the lights around it.

I brought with several small lights to have around the neck, finger, etc all to try out. In the end these little finger lights come with small clamps that be adjusted won. We both clipped them onto the headband of our DC headphones - like a poor man's mic-light. Set the power to about half and aim down towards the yoke / lap so you can read any gauge, charts and checklists with just one hand.

The biggest issue we had at night was the Garmin Pilot running in night mode on the Android was too bright. On the next flight I had a separate app to better adjust the display for nite and now we can use the tablet at night and not be an issue for night vision, distraction, etc.
Yea on my night training, my cfi had me try one landing with no landing light, that black hole runway found me before I found it, haha. Not too bad of a bounce though.

Thanks for all the encouragement through the time guys. It was a memorable day. So happy it happened on Cinco de mayo. Now I can celebrate it every year lol

Attachments

• IMG_20170505_180406_208.jpg
    IMG_20170505_180406_208.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thanks for all the encouragement through the time guys. It was a memorable day. So happy it happened on Cinco de mayo. Now I can celebrate it every year lol

Attached is the photo
Sweet photo! All I got was a phone selfie(on the ground people!) walking back in to the FBO alone, haha. (and I don't like selfies!, had to be done, or I'd have nothing)

Congrats!

Sweet photo! All I got was a phone selfie(on the ground people!) walking back in to the FBO alone, haha. (and I don't like selfies!, had to be done, or I'd have nothing)

Congrats!
I was alone.. my wife didn't go haha.. I didn't know the chief, my Instructor, and 2 foreign students where waiting for me. They made me feel accomplished.

I didn't get my PPL through a school so I did not get any post-solo surprises but wife was waiting at home with some confetti. I made her vacuum it afterward. :D

How did your wife take it? How unhappy was she? ;)

I didn't get my PPL through a school so I did not get any post-solo surprises but wife was waiting at home with some confetti. I made her vacuum it afterward. :D

How did your wife take it? How unhappy was she? ;)
Well she said congratulations your alive and she watched my recording of it. She at least acted happy.

Well she said congratulations your alive and she watched my recording of it. She at least acted happy.
When you get your PPL, find a nice calm day (preferably after a cold front when it is nice and clear aloft where you can see far) and take her up for a sunset (or sunrise) flight (to avoid daytime heating bouncing around).
You want to introduce her into flying with a nice gentle FUN flight (fun for her, not for you, so no loops, rolls or stalls, mmkay? ;) ).
I went the same way with my wife and even though she is scared to death to fly on airliners (and needs to take Xanax to just board one), she is perfectly fine with me in the cockpit, flying through turbulence. But again, I built her up from calm flights for fun etc.

Hope she likes it!!

Well just an update. I am sitting around 45 hours and just completed my short xc.. I need 2.7 hours left for my long then I would be done with all my requirements. Attached is a pic from today. Video will come later.

Attachments

• IMG_20170630_175117_857.jpg
    IMG_20170630_175117_857.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 19
This is just an older video of me flying around. I have a bunch of recent recordings but just haven't had any time to edit them. I know Big lou already saw this video lol. It only has music in the background because i had issues locating my voice recorder.

Last edited:
Just an update. Well I was supposed to take my checkride next week but I have to move it to Sept 12th. I couldn't get off of work for August 10th.. oh well I will just keep flying and practicing.

I started 35 years ago after college. Women, friends, family and life seemed to always get in the way.
It took many years before I got back into it, DON'T make that mistake. I regret it. Do it NOW, even if you don't fly a lot you will always have it.

Wow, way to go!!!

Zero to Commerical and 172 to Turboprop in 18 months :) Next step: a Global Express and YouTube channel with hot babes :)

Back