"L-birds over Normandy" Dallas Executive Airport, June 22, 2019

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
For those of you in the DFW area, I'm hoping to be involved in an event at Dallas Executive next month called “L-BIRDS OVER NORMANDY” and I'd be thrilled if you brought a kid to our event...

If you are a history buff, a vintage aircraft enthusiast, love the military, or just want to spend an afternoon learning something about history, join us on June 22nd at Dallas Executive Airport, home of the Commemorative Air Force's “Redbird Squadron,” for a family-friendly educational time as we make a presentation on the history of liaison aircraft in the Normandy Campaign during the Second World War. We will also share specifics about our Taylorcraft L-2A “Grasshopper” and how it relates to the historical events that took place 75 years ago over France. Lunch will be served for a donation and costumed reenactors will be present to help interpret the displays. This is a “hands-on” event. The presentation will be geared towards middle-school youth and up. Space is limited, so plan to come and get your free tickets today!

DATE: June 22, 2019
TIME: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Dallas Executive Airport
5661 Mariner Dr.
Dallas, TX 75237

TICKETS: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/redbird-squadron-presents-l-birds-over-normandy-tickets-61675758855

We also hope to have a few other planes attend as well, weather permitting!

The Redbird Squadron is one of the newest CAF units with an educational bent and If you are a vintage aircraft enthusiast looking for a smaller entry-level warbird opportunity, we might be a good fit!

LON.jpg

Last edited:
Working to make it an even better event. We hope to have an L-5 present as well.

Hey guys, want to bump this up. Should be a fun event for those with kids or who are interested in history, in the DFW area.

The L-birds did some amazing stuff that we don't appreciate today because we're all carrying satellite maps around in our pockets.

I've also done some reading and research into "baby-bird" carriers and the Brodie system, which were converted navy cargo ships to launch l-birds for amphibious assaults. They weren't used in Normandy because it was as short hop across the channel, but they were used in Italy and in the Pacific. In one case, a pilot flying off a Brodie ship discovered a cave of 300 kamikaze speedboats which the Navy destroyed before they could be used. Cannot imagine the damage that could have caused, hitting a speed boat is nearly impossible.

If you'd like to expand a little, mark off the dimensions of a baby-bird carrier for grasshoppers and see how small it was - 220 ft x 16 to launch 10 L-birds. Launch only, no recovery.

lst906.jpg

or do something with the Brodie device, which was a kind of trapeze that a pilot would have to catch a hook to "land".

brodie.jpg

brodierig.jpg

I just got verbal confirmation that one of the very last surviving Liaison pilots that I've been able to track down is supposed to be coming to our event at CAF HQ this weekend. He fought in Europe and had a role in the Battle of the Bulge...
This should be good! Would hope that this might spark some more interest!

A friend that belongs to a group of RAF reenactors says they'll be there. They all have correct uniforms and kit, including a fairly large field tent.

Back