Flying around central Mexico

rene86mx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rene86mx
Yesterday a did a cross-country from Mexico's City only GA airport to Morelia
I had the GoPro with me and decided to post some pics from the flight and document the flight

For context, my home field has an elevation of 8,300 ft. The runways is 4,200 ft long and is situated on top of a hill making it the Mexican Airport in the Sky or as the locals call it The Aircraft Carrier.

Recently there have been many fatal accidents. There's no place to land in case of an emergency.

Traffic in the field is 90% schools and some cool GA metal like Mooney Aclaims, TBM and one Citation

Backtracking to take off. We decided to use as much runway as possible. Very hazy morning with a 15C temperature
1.jpg

As you take off, nowhere to put it in case of emergencies
2.jpg

Immediately you are upon one of the world's most populated areas
3.jpg

Miles and miles of houses
4.jpg

Those familiar with Mexico City, know that it is located in a valley, even big commercial traffic has only one way out and one way in. In our case is an opening in the mountain range to the northwest of the city. From there you can easily reach Queretaro and the west of Mexico plains
5.jpg

While at cruise
Panel.jpg

Morelia is at a valley. This is just before starting the DME approach to RWY 23. It was my first time performing a DME Arc approach6.jpg
Entering a long 14 mile final
7.jpg

Shorter final
8.jpg

Some mountain ranges before Morelia
9.jpg

Mexican red tape. Park, close flight plan, visit 3 offices, pay for your landing, open flight plan
10.jpg

Shorter final
11.jpg

From the airport's office
15.jpg

Sharing the airspace. While I was there, we did 5 touch and goes with an A321 from Volaris, an A19 from Volaris and an A320 from Vivaaerobus. There were also C172 and PA28 practicing nearby
15.jpg

16.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this quick trip around Mexico

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 15
Ummm. What runway is that?

1-jpg.74248

Nice!
Have family in Cholula (SE), have often thought I'd like to fly down (MMPB) and buzz about Popo or Izta (or Malinche) some of which we have climbed.
Haha, a 'very hazy day' in Mexico is only 40 mile vis, right?
Can you share what the regulatory costs were for such a flight?

Great pictures! Atizapan is on my list of airports I want to fly into one day.

Nice!
Have family in Cholula (SE), have often thought I'd like to fly down (MMPB) and buzz about Popo or Izta (or Malinche) some of which we have climbed.
Haha, a 'very hazy day' in Mexico is only 40 mile vis, right?
Can you share what the regulatory costs were for such a flight?

I pay $190 the hour with CFI included. Cheap if you consider what CFI's are charging in the US

Great pictures! Atizapan is on my list of airports I want to fly into one day.
Let me know if you decide to fly!

I was wondering what it would be if I took my plane, to pay ATC, airport Commandante fees etc.

$5 for landing/ramp. ATC is free.Don't know how much they charge for overnight

I believe if you are flying a US-registered airplane you need an overflight permit which is around $100

wow; atc free
I had heard stories of overflights (USA-MX-back into the US without stopping in Mx) resulting in mailed bills.
Sounds decent.

Awesome. Thanks for posting. I assume that is MMJC? My fiancé is from DF so I’m down there often. I would love to fly my Tiger down there one day, but I’m not sure if 180 horses is enough to safely make that trip. What are you flying? I can’t tell.

Awesome. Thanks for posting. I assume that is MMJC? My fiancé is from DF so I’m down there often. I would love to fly my Tiger down there one day, but I’m not sure if 180 horses is enough to safely make that trip. What are you flying? I can’t tell.

C172 S with 180HP

Many flight schools have 152's with O320 in them.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I've done my best to render that EMB145 in your pics a wire off after my landings. Made me remember that I've been fortunate to have been at almost every airline airport in Mexico. Great experiences there.

There is a very unique camaradería de espíritu (¿cuerpo espirit?) there between pilots - GA or airline, did not matter. I enjoyed flying there.

Nice pics of a cool trip. Amazing to see a 172 at those altitude perform

Back