Locked inside my Archer

Pfitmx15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Pfitmx15
Took my 1980 Archer ii up tonight. When I got back to the fuel pumps I could not exit the aircraft. The door latch on the bottom seems to now be disconnected from anything inside the door. To make matters worse the baggage door was locked. I was so embarrassed as no one was there and I had to call a friend to help me out. He was able to open the door from the outside as that handle is still connected and works perfect. My question is how big of a fix is this inside the door? Anyone ever experience this? It was too late and I was too hot to look at it tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall a similar story from way back in the days of no cell phones. The guy had to climb into the baggage compartment and disassemble the baggage door to get out.

IIRC the fix was pretty easy. Remove the inner door skin and see which $500 fifty cent piece of plastic broke.

Last edited:
You couldn't crawl out the vent window?
heck yeah, just reach through.

Either that or start back up and fly to an airport with a high dollar FBO, and when they roll out the red carpet, act busy and motion for the line guy to get the door for you. Then pretend the other guy broke something.

i would get out of the plane at signature and ask if they have ever seen a "Papa Alpha Two Eight Dash One Eight One" before and ask exactly what the hell they thought they were doing..

You can get locked into a Grumman when the canopy lock slips but they give you an emergency release tab to override the lock.

This can be a dangerous scenario in the summer for some a/c.
On our forum it has happened to many people and it is suggested to be able to taxi into a hangar out of the sun quickly (as it can get over 140F pretty in no time).
I keep escape tools so I can actuate each latch manually and I am in the middle of removing the door panel attachment screws and going with velcro to make access easier. (Plus an hour ago, I just ordered a dozen of the 180,000psi grade 8 cap screw which is the usual culprit, and plan to pre-emptively change it every year)

I've heard if it. It can happen if, after unlocking the door with the key, you accidentally turn the key back to the locked position before removing it. Seems normal but when the door closes it's locked. Happens in older Cherokees. Someone I know recently locked their keys inside one that way. I don't know if the system was changed in later models.

IIRC the fix was pretty easy. Remove the inner door skin and see which $500 fifty cent piece of plastic broke.

So very true...my buddy had A bad cabin door lock on his Mooney M20j. He called and ordered a replacement part and we set about to remove the old lock assembly. Upon removal, we found the lock stamped with the logo for a Volkswagen. We called a local dealerships parts department and low and behold they had the $9 part in stock. My friend then CANCELED the $100+ dollar Part from Mooney.

I keep a large maglight under my seat for night preflight. Makes any side window in the cherokee an exit.Less destructive, a small phillips screwdriver removes the plastic trim around the side windows so the window can be removed.

Well we got it fixed. There is a clevis pin on the door tube assembly which is used to connect it to the door latch. That pin sheered off disconnecting the latch from the tube assembly. My mechanic and I got a new clevis pin and welded it in like the last then put everything back together. Works great.
9fe54cdeecaddb377ad06fd1f0761b6e.jpg
234f51b46946a59d6bffb43d0c5c9000.jpg
66c33d3ffa3fe40fba614d61b0aaf843.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a problem with the upper latch on a Warrior early in my student days. I can't remember all the details now, but for whatever reason the upper latch either wouldn't latch or wouldn't stay latched. My CFI waved over a mechanic, he went back and forth to his tool box a few times, and worked on it while I stayed inside. We'd alternate with him working the mechanism from the outside and me from the inside. Eventually he was satisfied I wouldn't end up stuck inside and let us go on with my flight lesson.

Every time I get into a PA-28 now, I think about that day and wonder if this is going to be the time I get stuck.

I had that happen once in a PA-24. When I unlocked the door with the key (airplane was tied down outside during a trip) I didn't get the cylinder all the way around. It was just enough to open the door from the outside, and release the key apparently. Got inside to give a ride to a family member, and when we landed couldn't open the door from the inside. Had to pass the key out the window to another family member to unlock the door from the outside.

B. If it comes down to it, a good kick will open either door.

In a life or death situation...yes. I'd be hesitant to do that any other time, could be easy to cause $$$$ damage to the door and or door frame.

Back