Clarity Aloft Questions

flak

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flak
I was reading around and am leaning towards getting a set of these (TSO pro version) over the A20. I had a couple of questions:

-How significant is the change in noise reduction from an ANR to these? I've never used an ANR so I wouldn't notice any changes but will my hearing get compromised in GA aircraft?

-Since the pro model doesn't have bluetooth, are there any BT adapters for the aux port? Do these adapters allow you to change the music sound level without changing the sound level of ATC to balance them out? Do they also allow a function to cut out music completely when ATC speaks if I choose?

-I read about swapping out foam for silicone or triple flange plugs. Are there any good recs for these that again, won't compormise my hearing?

Thanks guys, I'm a huge newbie when it comes to flying but I'm hoping to put miles on my next headset.

Love my clarity alofts. Sound is the same as ear plugs at the shooting range. I don’t really like the foam that come with them use these:

Shure EATFL1-6 Triple Flange Sleeves for SE Model Earphones, KSE1500, E3c, E4c, E5c, E500PTH, i3c and i4c Models https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275F2GS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yk34CbXXSNN1C

Can wear for hours and they are super light and comfortable.

I have an iPod hooked to my panel intercom so can’t answer anything on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my clarity alofts. Sound is the same as ear plugs at the shooting range. I don’t really like the foam that come with them use these:

Shure EATFL1-6 Triple Flange Sleeves for SE Model Earphones, KSE1500, E3c, E4c, E5c, E500PTH, i3c and i4c Models https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275F2GS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yk34CbXXSNN1C

Can wear for hours and they are super light and comfortable.

I have an iPod hooked to my panel intercom so can’t answer anything on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Do these plugs you linked provide the same noise cancelling as the foam ones included?

Love Clarity Alofts. if you wear glasses, can be Better noise reduction vs. over-heads...

Well, I have a set and wouldn’t get another. To me, the wire that goes over my ears is bothersome. And where the wire goes into the earbud seems to be a weak spot. I have had the wire come loose there twice.

Good sound quality and no one has ever complained about the mic quality, but the other issues are why I wouldn’t buy another one.

The Clarity is the best in ear... Why not get the Clarity Link with bluetooth? It is really good.
I like the Comply foam tips that come with the Clarity. They are comfy and block lots of noise.

Plus one on the CAs. I have about 3000 hrs flying for food with them in jets and my Sierra. Sent them in after 5y of ownership and nearly daily abuse for a popping noise in one ear speaker. No charge for the day repair! I like the foam. I think they breathe better. And, put them in your uniform shirt pocket and wash them to make them last another few weeks.

I also have A20s and a few others. No complaints on any of them as they all have their applications. But the CA is my go to.

No advice for the BT adapters. They all suck for me. Built in BT seems to be best. And, I prefer shielded TRS cables for music anyway. Music is okay with the CA, not near A20 levels, in piston planes. Haven't used them with music in jets, I can't.

Love them with sunglasses. And I got used to the wearing of the headset in a few flights on my phatass head.

If I had an extra .75AMU, I'd buy the newest CA that folds up like a transformer and takes up much less room in the flight sack.

5 stars, will buy again.

Have you already considered and opted out of the QT Halos? I own two pairs, and am very happy. Lots of threads here and on other forums with happy customers.

I've used CAs for over 10 years and wouldn't fly with anything else. I started with the standard model and now have the Link model, which is fantastic. No way would I go back to flying with a big clamp on my head.

I have the Pro version as it is required by my airline.

-How significant is the change in noise reduction from an ANR to these? I've never used an ANR so I wouldn't notice any changes but will my hearing get compromised in GA aircraft?
It's different, but I think it is better. With ANR you can hear the noise reduction working. With the CA it's like wearing ear plugs because, well, you're wearing ear plugs.

I don't use BT.

I use the foam plugs.

I fly with a lot of guys who use various ANR headsets. Many of them will take them off at cruise due to discomfort. I just pull out one earplug and leave the CA on.

I previously used QT Halo, which is a lot less expensive. I liked them a lot, too. Switched to CA because I needed the TSO. As you might expect, paying twice as much gets you a better headset. The CA Pro has a particularly strong mic boom. It stays where you put it. With the Halo I'd often have to readjust the mic position. Construction is better, too. Thicker frame, heavier cables, etc. I recommend both headsets.

I have the Pro version as it is required by my airline.

It's different, but I think it is better. With ANR you can hear the noise reduction working. With the CA it's like wearing ear plugs because, well, you're wearing ear plugs.

I don't use BT.

I use the foam plugs.

I fly with a lot of guys who use various ANR headsets. Many of them will take them off at cruise due to discomfort. I just pull out one earplug and leave the CA on.

I previously used QT Halo, which is a lot less expensive. I liked them a lot, too. Switched to CA because I needed the TSO. As you might expect, paying twice as much gets you a better headset. The CA Pro has a particularly strong mic boom. It stays where you put it. With the Halo I'd often have to readjust the mic position. Construction is better, too. Thicker frame, heavier cables, etc. I recommend both headsets.

How often do you replace the foam tips

The Clarity is the best in ear... Why not get the Clarity Link with bluetooth? It is really good.
I like the Comply foam tips that come with the Clarity. They are comfy and block lots of noise.

I'd like to get the TSO versions just to future proof them. But those versions don't have BT.

Plus one on the CAs. I have about 3000 hrs flying for food with them in jets and my Sierra. Sent them in after 5y of ownership and nearly daily abuse for a popping noise in one ear speaker. No charge for the day repair! I like the foam. I think they breathe better. And, put them in your uniform shirt pocket and wash them to make them last another few weeks.

I also have A20s and a few others. No complaints on any of them as they all have their applications. But the CA is my go to.

No advice for the BT adapters. They all suck for me. Built in BT seems to be best. And, I prefer shielded TRS cables for music anyway. Music is okay with the CA, not near A20 levels, in piston planes. Haven't used them with music in jets, I can't.

Love them with sunglasses. And I got used to the wearing of the headset in a few flights on my phatass head.

If I had an extra .75AMU, I'd buy the newest CA that folds up like a transformer and takes up much less room in the flight sack. And excuse my ignorance what are shielded TRS cables?

5 stars, will buy again.

Have you heard any complaints about the new folding onesike discomfort from tHe new design?

Have you already considered and opted out of the QT Halos? I own two pairs, and am very happy. Lots of threads here and on other forums with happy customers.

Trying to get something with a TSO, otherwise I'd opt for the QTs for price.

My first set was ANR Sennhieser way better than bose A20 (my opinion)then for aerobatics I got the Bluetooth clarity aloft haven't taken the sennhiesers out of the case since except for passengersn Quiet clear and no more clamping of the head.

My first set was ANR Sennhieser way better than bose A20 (my opinion)then for aerobatics I got the Bluetooth clarity aloft haven't taken the sennhiesers out of the case since except for passengersn Quiet clear and no more clamping of the head.

How significant is the difference between the ANR and plugs? Will I lose my hearing over time if I don't go ANR with GA?

I found, quite by accident, that the ear plugs clean up nicely in the washer. I had left some in my shirt pocket. We got a small drawstring cloth bag and use that going forward. My wife loves hers. I only use it when I need to offer my Zulus to someone else. Interestingly, IAD tower says that the mic on the CAs is the best sounding he's heard.

The attenuation of the CAs is equivalent to most of the ANR heasets. This won't cause you to lose your hearing.

Take a look at this alternative to the Clarity Aloft, the UFQ L2. Cheaper, and it has ANR.

My wife uses the Clarify Aloft and loves them. Thinking about buying a pair for my daughter as well.

@flak - While the Pro doesn't have the Link adapter inline, you can buy the link and plug it between your CA and panel jacks. The price of Link is the same as the price differential on the inline versions.

@flak - While the Pro doesn't have the Link adapter inline, you can buy the link and plug it between your CA and panel jacks. The price of Link is the same as the price differential on the inline versions.

I wouldn’t buy the clarity and the link separate... It isn’t the same.
When you get the clarity link it has a small little quick 7 pin disconnect that plugs the link to the Clarity. Real nice setup with minimal cables.
If you buy the regular dual plug blulink you have long cables everywhere and it’s a mess... Trust me!

I wouldn’t buy the clarity and the link separate... It isn’t the same.
When you get the clarity link it has a small little quick 7 pin disconnect that plugs the link to the Clarity. Real nice setup with minimal cables.
If you buy the regular dual plug blulink you have long cables everywhere and it’s a mess... Trust me!

OTOH, if you decide you don't like the CA in-ear you can keep the Link and get a less expensive ANR replacement set.

I agree with you on the extra cord observation. What I don't know is if there are any functional differences.

Back