Air-to-Air Clipped-Wing Cub

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Finished a photo shoot yesterday with Jared, of Ranger Airfield Foundation. They've had a raffle for a Cessna 150, a Piper Cub, and next year, they'll raffle off this beautiful 1946 Clipped-Wing Cub with a Reed conversion and a C-90. Make sure to buy some tickets! Ranger Airfield

Notice the double ribs in the wings.

Ranger Airfield is the 3rd oldest airfield in Texas. The first airplane (a Wright B Biplane) landed there in 1911 and in 1931 Amelia Earhart visited in her Pitcairn Autogyro.

47105617484_ab13b63a77_b.jpg

47894879421_30bc89a286_b.jpg

47105611504_e090723e24_b.jpg

46978780835_b580f253d4_b.jpg

46978778045_400064d6b7_b.jpg

46978773855_ae071cb64b_b.jpg

47894856641_d1dabe07d7_b.jpg

Absolutely stunning!!

Loved that last picture especially Jack. Another tour de force. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Awesome! Beautiful plane.

This alone could be half of next year's calendar!! :cool:

Last edited:
Again, another nice set of photos, thank you.
On a side note, would it be possible to tell us a few settings you used for at least a few of the photos. I've always wanted to do air to air photography and never really had the chance. I just bought a mirrorless Canon and I'm interested in what settings you used. I went with the mirrorless because the full DSLR is just too big to bring to work and travel with.

If those photos don't show interested youngsters the pure joy of flight, nothing will. Look at those smiles!

Gorgeous airplane. Great work as usual, Jack.

Again, another nice set of photos, thank you.
On a side note, would it be possible to tell us a few settings you used for at least a few of the photos. I've always wanted to do air to air photography and never really had the chance. I just bought a mirrorless Canon and I'm interested in what settings you used. I went with the mirrorless because the full DSLR is just too big to bring to work and travel with.
Thank you. I always start off with Shutter Priority Mode, 1/80, and 100 ISO. I'll make adjustments from there. I don't know anything about mirrorless, but you're right, my camera and lens are huge and weigh a lot.

The best advice I can give, is go fly with someone who specializes in air-to-air photography. Shooting something that can move around in 3 dimensions, with subject-plane pilots with different skill levels in flying formation, giving clear directions, and keeping everyone safe can be tricky. Your photo plane pilot has to keep everyone safe from obstacles, out of airspace, and watch for traffic. You're also asking someone to go up and spend a lot of money on fuel and fit the flight into their schedule. I'm always nervous before a flight. If I screw it up, I could cost us all a lot of time and money.

If those photos don't show interested youngsters the pure joy of flight, nothing will. Look at those smiles!

Gorgeous airplane. Great work as usual, Jack.
Thank you! She was even smiling after part of a side window broke and hit her in the face. They broke away from us and then re-joined once they decided everything was okay.

That’s beautiful! I notice you have two people in it - I thought that a clipped cub was almost always a one person airplane.

That’s beautiful! I notice you have two people in it - I thought that a clipped cub was almost always a one person airplane.
I’ve never seen a single-seat clipped-wing Cub. A clipped-wing Taylorcraft will often have one seat in the middle though.

Back