Flight Review Ideas

Wear a frilly pink apron and serve lemonade prior to your review.

Try to convince your reviewer to pee sitting down, see how that goes.

That should lighten the mood.

Sim engine out to forced landing with a sun visor or vision restrictor on your half of the wind screen.

This simulates oil on the windscreen.

Get checked out in a new to you aircraft type.
Fly from the right seat.
Fly partial panel approaches with just your iPad and AHRS.
Find a windy day and do extreme crosswinds.
Take a mountain flying course.
Learn to fly chandelles and lazy eights.
Find an aerobatic CFI and do upset recovery.

Since my last flight review was a few days outside of the 24 calendar months, I did it with the local instructor in his plane, a C-172D, a type I had not flown since 1986. For extra fun, we decided to examine one aspect of airmanship by demonstrating short, soft field landings on his 1200 foot grass strip on a nearby ridge. That was a blast. Can't do that in my Grumman. It was good to re-acquaint myself with the old Cessnas. Might as well make these reviews fun...I wish IPCs were as fun...they are just long.

Different types of emergency descents.

Approach and landing without elevator control.

Turf ops.

Go to a Class B.

Hood work (if you’re not instrument rated).

Steep turns on the stall warning.

Needle, ball, and airspeed if that’s your backup.

Not allowed any more per the ACS. You'll have to sneak off and do it by yourself with no witnesses... ;)

Not that it’s not allowed, it is not demonstrated on a practical test. I fly an extended time at stall speed with the horn going off almost every flight.

Lots of good ideas so far. If you listen to podcasts, give the Stuck Mic AvCast episode 119 a try, titled "Getting the Most Out Of Your Flight Review", where we talk exclusively about this topic.

If you don't listen to podcasts, still give it a try! :)

http://stuckmicavcast.com/podcast/smac119-getting-the-most-out-of-your-flight-review/

In addition to the great ideas listed by others so far, I'll add "tailwind landings" as long as the wind isn't too crazy.

Not allowed any more per the ACS. You'll have to sneak off and do it by yourself with no witnesses... ;)
Or maybe just pretend to botch steep turns so badly that the stall horn is blaring all the way around...that way the instructor can feel good about his ability to teach and correct mistakes, too!:D

Do lots of emergency drills or that “thing” that you are hesitant to do but isn’t a crazy stupid “thing” my first one I asked to land on turf as it intimidated me without an instructor with me... after that I love turf... especially now w a TW and just talked to the airport manager if he had any issue with me landing next to the runway... but years ago that first time it intimidated me...

Knock those type of things out.

Go to altitude and practice engine out at take off... those type of things...

Soft field, short field take offs and landings.

Lots of good ideas so far. If you listen to podcasts, give the Stuck Mic AvCast episode 119 a try, titled "Getting the Most Out Of Your Flight Review", where we talk exclusively about this topic.

If you don't listen to podcasts, still give it a try! :)

http://stuckmicavcast.com/podcast/smac119-getting-the-most-out-of-your-flight-review/

In addition to the great ideas listed by others so far, I'll add "tailwind landings" as long as the wind isn't too crazy.

Thanks. And to all the other ideas. I’m not a ‘podcaster’ but do listen to them when I find them like this. Thx again for the link. I’ve listened to some of your others.

Couple of things I like to do if they haven't done them before once I see how they are flying generally. One is falling leaf stalls. The other, landing with the airspeed indicator covered. The second is especially helpful if they are having landing issues.

Not that it’s not allowed, it is not demonstrated on a practical test. I fly an extended time at stall speed with the horn going off almost every flight.

That's what I meant. How about I rephrase it: "Failure to accomplish coordinated straight-and-level flight, turns, climbs, and descents with the airplane configured as specified by the evaluator without a stall warning (e.g., airplane buffet, stall horn, etc.)."

I see. Another miss due to the nature of the communications.

Done it. Besides the usual stuff I decided to do an Emergency descent and no flap landings. Got to do those with a quartering tailwind of around 7 knots. I Hadn't done no flappers since I don't remember when. Probably 30 years ago. Totally butchered the first one, said "ain't no point trying to salvage this" and went around, he said "good job.' Next one wasn't to pretty, had to slip to get it down but landed, long, without having to smoke the brakes. It was a 2500' runway. Last one I flew it no flap but dumped the flaps at 200' to simulate breaking out at minimums and then landing with flaps. That one was ok, an almost greaser touchdown but a little longer than I would have liked. It was C172 by the way. Anyway, I'm cleared to terrorize the sky for another two years

Done it. Besides the usual stuff I decided to do an Emergency descent and no flap landings. Got to do those with a quartering tailwind of around 7 knots. I Hadn't done no flappers since I don't remember when. Probably 30 years ago. Totally butchered the first one, said "ain't no point trying to salvage this" and went around, he said "good job.' Next one wasn't to pretty, had to slip to get it down but landed, long, without having to smoke the brakes. It was a 2500' runway. Last one I flew it no flap but dumped the flaps at 200' to simulate breaking out at minimums and then landing with flaps. That one was ok, an almost greaser touchdown but a little longer than I would have liked. It was C172 by the way. Anyway, I'm cleared to terrorize the sky for another two years
That's interesting. There was a flight school some years back which used to ask for no-flap landings in its presolo phase check. Repeated failures. A significant percentage of the students were treating the flaps as speed brakes and simply could not control airspeed without them.

Their solution was no flaps until solo. Perhaps a bit extreme (I adapted it for my teaching) but it worked for them

Back