Which approach to ATP time- Part 135 or Univ. Flight School?

OldnBold

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
OldnBold
Greetings! New to PoA with a request-
For those that have been in both jobs, or at least have an informed opinion. I am a CFI, two years experience, wanting to build time from 750 hours. Thinking that real-world Part 135 operations (carefully selected operator) would build a better career foundation than another 1-2 years of flight instruction of mostly PPC students.
What is your opinion? More roundy-rounds in the pattern or First Officer flying passengers in a piston/turboprop twin? I have a bit of grey hair and an A&P to offer, if that's of value.

Greetings! New to PoA with a request-
For those that have been in both jobs, or at least have an informed opinion. I am a CFI, two years experience, wanting to build time from 750 hours. Thinking that real-world Part 135 operations (carefully selected operator) would build a better career foundation than another 1-2 years of flight instruction of mostly PPC students.
What is your opinion? More roundy-rounds in the pattern or First Officer flying passengers in a piston/turboprop twin? I have a bit of grey hair and an A&P to offer, if that's of value.
FWIW- an A&P makes you very marketable to a 135 operator; a university flight school would care less. There are pluses and minuses to both. That said you already have Instructor experience so getting on with a good 135 operator would make you a much more rounded candidate for a 121 operator. I'd probably go the 135 route if I were you--particularly if you don't have much multi engine time and that is available with the job, but understand that you might accumulate hours a bit faster in a university flight training program.

I’d try to do both. Instructing is very valuable. We had a few 135 guys wash out of airline training. We also had a few CFIs wash out of training. There’s really no “best” option.

FWIW- an A&P makes you very marketable to a 135 operator; a university flight school would care less. There are pluses and minuses to both. That said you already have Instructor experience so getting on with a good 135 operator would make you a much more rounded candidate for a 121 operator. I'd probably go the 135 route if I were you--particularly if you don't have much multi engine time and that is available with the job, but understand that you might accumulate hours a bit faster in a university flight training program.

Having a mechanic certificate can be attractive to an operator but if you're not careful it may get you stuck in a hangar working on airplanes instead of flying them. Choose wisely if the goal is flying rather than fixing. ;)

Having a mechanic certificate can be attractive to an operator but if you're not careful it may get you stuck in a hangar working on airplanes instead of flying them. Choose wisely if the goal is flying rather than fixing. ;)
Perhaps, but if a plane is grounded and no mechanic is around to fix it, nobody’s flying.

Multi-engine 135 PIC if you can get it. Kind of tough until you get 1,200 hours.
Otherwise, whatever you can get. Any turbine time you can get is good.
Thank you Greg Bockelman, I understand the need for multi and turbine.

Thanks for the reply Brad Z, and yes, I am hoping for the real world experience as foundation-building.

Do you have your double eye?
Good question: No double eye, as in my particular situation the student pipeline did not include instrument students. But it wouldn't be a problem for me to get it.

I'd stick with the flying, but I like talking shop with the mechanics to help with chasing down the root cause of a discrepancy.

Part 135,do instruction on the side.
I thought of that, since I do like teaching. But then I found out some 135 operations don't like you doing side jobs, maybe because of the flight-hour limitations or impact on availability?

I'd stick with the flying, but I like talking shop with the mechanics to help with chasing down the root cause of a discrepancy.

Me too, an I’ve made many friends and connections by doing it. I just wanted to point out a potential pitfall that I’ve fallen into and seen others fall into too.

Get all the ratings and CFI-I and ME. Never pass up flying bigger aircraft and get some -135 experience.

Try to learn everything and pounce on opportunities that will get you closer to ATP and beyond.

Me too, an I’ve made many friends and connections by doing it. I just wanted to point out a potential pitfall that I’ve fallen into and seen others fall into too.
Roger that! Thanks for the heads up.

Get all the ratings and CFI-I and ME. Never pass up flying bigger aircraft and get some -135 experience.

Try to learn everything and pounce on opportunities that will get you closer to ATP and beyond.
Seems like the -135 route is winning out here. Thanks for the reply!

Normally I would say go the 135 route, but in reality either works as long as you keep your personal skills sharp as you instruct. I think you can build hours faster as an instructor. If you work at one of Piedmont’s partner schools, you can interview as a cadet now and start collecting Piedmont dollars as well.

Yes, I agree that having a mechanic certificate is attractive, but watch out for the operators that want two job slots filled by one person and pay only one paycheck.

Normally I would say go the 135 route, but in reality either works as long as you keep your personal skills sharp as you instruct. I think you can build hours faster as an instructor. If you work at one of Piedmont’s partner schools, you can interview as a cadet now and start collecting Piedmont dollars as well.
Thank you for the response. Sounds reasonable for a younger pilot, I'm probably not airline-bound due to limited time before the big six five.

Yes, I agree that having a mechanic certificate is attractive, but watch out for the operators that want two job slots filled by one person and pay only one paycheck.
Sure, thanks for the response and I will keep aware of that possibility. From a small operator's perspective though, I could see where offering to pay the pilot/mechanic to fix the plane when it isn't flying is better for the employee and for the business.

Sure, thanks for the response and I will keep aware of that possibility. From a small operator's perspective though, I could see where offering to pay the pilot/mechanic to fix the plane when it isn't flying is better for the employee and for the business.

It's good for the business and it makes you more marketable, but you need to make sure you're properly compensated for wearing both hats and taking the responsibility. Plus, you need to make sure if your primary job and source of income is coming from the flying part that you're getting the flying hours you're supposed to and not getting shoved in the hangar to work the whole time while the guys who are only pilots are out getting all the flight hours.

It happens, and you can get sucked into doing it before you even realize what is going on. :)

It's good for the business and it makes you more marketable, but you need to make sure you're properly compensated for wearing both hats and taking the responsibility. Plus, you need to make sure if your primary job and source of income is coming from the flying part that you're getting the flying hours you're supposed to and not getting shoved in the hangar to work the whole time while the guys who are only pilots are out getting all the flight hours.

It happens, and you can get sucked into doing it before you even realize what is going on. :)
Good point about the flight hours as being a major part of the compensation to a time-builder, and how we tend to forget that, especially when just wanting to keep the bird in the air.

Back