Battery life requirement for EFB?

Stets656

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I was doing a bit of research and could not find anywhere in the regs that states a requirement for EFB battery life. If your'e using electronic charts say on an ipad with foreflight, is there a minimum amount of battery life that is required or do you need a backup?

I was doing a bit of research and could not find anywhere in the regs that states a requirement for EFB battery life. If your'e using electronic charts say on an ipad with foreflight, is there a minimum amount of battery life that is required or do you need a backup?

Don’t think so, but it’s in your best interest to have as much battery as possible, ithings usually run out of battery when you need it the most. I keep it always topped off by plugging in the plane power, I also carry a power pack in my flight bag

There is no stated battery life requirement, but if you start on a 3 hour flight with 45 minutes of life left on your EFB, it's as though, 12 years ago, you tossed your paper charts out the window shortly after takeoff.

After all, you are a plain vanilla Part 91 flight, and charts aren't a requirement to begin with, right?

There are external battery alternatives.

There is no stated battery life requirement, but if you start on a 3 hour flight with 45 minutes of life left on your EFB, it's as though, 12 years ago, you tossed your paper charts out the window shortly after takeoff.

After all, you are a plain vanilla Part 91 flight, and charts aren't a requirement to begin with, right?

If you only have 45 minutes of EFB battery life for a 3 hour flight then I wonder how much gas you have in the tanks...

We don’t need anymore requirements.

There are no requirements for part 91 for sure, but it is wise to power your EFB from ship's power (e.g. USB port) so the EFB battery comes into play only in an electrical emergency.

I keep it plugged into the plane, and carry a 10,000 mAh charging brick... and I have a 2nd tablet and my phone with the same app (Garmin Pilot) at the ready. Belt, suspenders and duct tape.

Company requirement on the iPad is to start the trip with at least a 67% charge. But that isn’t enough on more than two legs.

But we have power outlets in the cockpit.

Last edited:
You can have one foreflight subscription on an iPad and an iPhone at the same time. Most of us have a smartphone, so this is a pretty straightforward way to have some redundancy.

The best thing to have is means to charge the device off the plane's power, either a 12v cigarette lighter style plugin or panel mount USB charging ports are starting to show up. The battery banks work fine, but you have to carry them with you and actually keep them charged.

Another power strategy people don't think of is to just put the iPad to sleep when not using it. Use it like you would a sectional, pull it out, turn it on, look up what you need to then turn the screen back off when you're not looking at it. The battery will last a very long time that way.

If you only have 45 minutes of EFB battery life for a 3 hour flight then I wonder how much gas you have in the tanks...
...I was thinking "brains in your head" but I'll go with that ;)

Don't give the FAA any ideas.

I just wish that damn ipad wasn't so heat sensitive.
Interesting how different peoples experiences are on this. Over 8 years now and I haven't experienced an iPad overheat.

Another power strategy people don't think of is to just put the iPad to sleep when not using it. Use it like you would a sectional, pull it out, turn it on, look up what you need to then turn the screen back off when you're not looking at it. The battery will last a very long time that way.
I've been doing this from the beginning. I think of it as basic CRM. You will also likely avoid the overheating issue, Turning down brightness is another one which helps a lot.

Interesting how different peoples experiences are on this. Over 8 years now and I haven't experienced an iPad overheat.

7 years, three iPads. All perform to specifications and shut down when it gets warm.

7 years, three iPads. All perform to specifications and shut down when it gets warm.
I don't dispute that it happens. Even saw it happen to a friend while I was in the cockpit with him.

Exactly what I meant about different experiences. Same general history for me (1 year more) but no shut downs.

I don't dispute that it happens. Even saw it happen to a friend while I was in the cockpit with him.

Exactly what I meant about different experiences. Same general history for me (1 year more) but no shut downs.

No overheating issues with myPad, either. I think a lot of people must mount them where they’re in direct sight of the big ball of fire and wonder why the things shut down. High wing airplanes rule.

No overheating issues with myPad, either. I think a lot of people must mount them where they’re in direct sight of the big ball of fire and wonder why the things shut down. High wing airplanes rule.
I don't think it's a high vs low-wing thing. I have far more iPad hours in various low wings than in high wings.

I just wish that damn ipad wasn't so heat sensitive.

None of my Android tablets running Droid EFB (or Garmin Pilot for a while) has ever had a heat stroke. (Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Samsung Tab S3, or various Motorola phones).

None of my Android tablets running Droid EFB (or Garmin Pilot for a while) has ever had a heat stroke. (Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Samsung Tab S3, or various Motorola phones).

It's an iPad issue. They are specd to shut off at a fairly low temp and that is what they do. You can start disabling capabilities like GPS to reduce the power draw and heat, but that defeats the purpose of having the thing in the first place.

It's an iPad issue. They are specd to shut off at a fairly low temp and that is what they do. You can start disabling capabilities like GPS to reduce the power draw and heat, but that defeats the purpose of having the thing in the first place.
Is there some verification of that? I would have figured that any electronics can overheat. As I mentioned, my iPad has never overheated. But my Android phone has.

If you consider your EFB required for safe flight, you should have enough self preservation instincts to see that the EFB is powered during the entire flight. It shouldn’t require the FAA to mandate it for one to see that it is necessary.

It is always better to take responsibility for your own actions than look to the government to take care of you.

I always try to avoid letting my iPad sit in direct sunlight. I haven't had overheating problems that I know of, but I haven't been using it long enough for my experience to even qualify as anecdotal evidence.

For my 121 airline: 30% plus 10% per hour of flight. The captain carries an external battery to assist.

Back