IR Cross Country

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
Made a little video of the first leg of my instrument cross country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looked like a lot of fun. Like your stratus mount-do you have and external antenna hooked up to that??
My CFI for my instrument wanted a lot of actual. Our first approach for long XC was into a fogged in field that had no chance of getting in. Just had the chance to goto minimums and see squat. The approach started above the fog which was pretty cool.

Looked like a lot of fun. Like your stratus mount-do you have and external antenna hooked up to that??

There's an external GPS puck on the glareshield and an external ADS-B antenna suction cupped to one of the rear windows. It is also powered from a panel USB port. You can sort of see all the wires on the left of the Stratus.

The camera died before the second approach which was a beautiful ILS to near minimums.

Nice. Makes me want to get my currency back. Keep at it and once you get the IR, don’t let it lapse. It is a slippery slope once the proficiency starts dropping off, and you loose your mojo!

Btw- looks like that second leg had you dodging some heavy rain cells

Nice. Makes me want to get my currency back. Keep at it and once you get the IR, don’t let it lapse. It is a slippery slope once the proficiency starts dropping off, and you loose your mojo!

Btw- looks like that second leg had you dodging some heavy rain cells
Staying proficient after earning the rating is a top concern.

We were watching that line develop on the first leg and ending up amending our direct filing in the air. There were more deviations needed even with the new route. Some of that will be in the next video.

I know for me I have a right turn tendency when I reach over to adjust the throttle especially on climb out. I thought I noticed that with you as well. It is something I’m now cognizant of and work against that sensation looked like you had some serious altitude issue with those updrafts.

I know for me I have a right turn tendency when I reach over to adjust the throttle especially on climb out. I thought I noticed that with you as well. It is something I’m now cognizant of and work against that sensation looked like you had some serious altitude issue with those updrafts.
Mine is left. A long-time CFI friend has a great suggestion. When you tune those radios loosen your grip or let go altogether. A well-trimmed airplane will do better than a pilot unconsciously pressuring the yoke for those few seconds.

I did my long x-country a week and a half ago. Lots of fun and differing conditions including actual, rain, turbulence, and various airspace. So far have logged just under 5 hours of actual and I make sure I take off my foggles when going into it to get the full experience. Checkride in two weeks and still 5.5 hours to kill before then. Keep up the cool videos.

Nice! Hoping to get my long cross country in this week. I really hope it's actual too.

Part 2 of the flight. Really need to do something about the battery life.

Good videos @Flying_Nun . I love IMC videos.

I bought an external battery which was pretty cheap. I have my GoPro and the external totally charged up and plug the external in with the USB C cord. Plenty of battery time that way. I bought an extra long USB to USB C cord so that the battery can just sit in the back seat.

Subscribed so keep 'em coming. :D

https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-6000mAh-Portable-External-Smartphones/dp/B078GKFHQ5/ref=sr_1_1?crid=508949CH0N68&keywords=easyacc+6000mah+ultra-slim+external+battery+smart+output+power+bank&qid=1558852826&s=gateway&sprefix=easyacc+6000mah+power+bank,aps,153&sr=8-1

Good videos @Flying_Nun . I love IMC videos.

I bought an external battery which was pretty cheap. I have my GoPro and the external totally charged up and plug the external in with the USB C cord. Plenty of battery time that way. I bought an extra long USB to USB C cord so that the battery can just sit in the back seat.

Subscribed so keep 'em coming. :D

https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-6000mAh-Portable-External-Smartphones/dp/B078GKFHQ5/ref=sr_1_1?crid=508949CH0N68&keywords=easyacc+6000mah+ultra-slim+external+battery+smart+output+power+bank&qid=1558852826&s=gateway&sprefix=easyacc+6000mah+power+bank,aps,153&sr=8-1

Thanks! These definitely aren’t top quality videos but I hope to get there. I actually bought a 20,000 mAh battery which is probably overkill. Next I’d like to find an inexpensive 360 degree camera. Someone in the club put a mount on the wing which should provide some nice views.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! Hoping to get my long cross country in this week. I really hope it's actual too.

Did you get your XC done? In actual?

That experience is invaluable in training.

Thanks! These definitely aren’t top quality videos but I hope to get there. I actually bought a 20,000 mAh battery which is probably overkill. Next I’d like to find an inexpensive 360 degree camera. Someone in the club put a mount on the wing which should provide some nice views.

If you get another camera for the cabin, that one won't be hooked into the audio so it will get the prop noise. Then you can mix the prop noise in at a very low level so it's just droning along in the background and get rid of the music. :D

Did you get your XC done? In actual?

That experience is invaluable in training.

Sadly I did not. My instructor flies for Jet Blue and was stuck out of town. I'm still waiting to hear from him to see if we can get it done this week. Looks like weather is still supposed to be bad this week so cross your fingers.

Made a little video of the first leg of my instrument cross country.

Love your video! Is that Cherokee yours or a rental? I always have my GoPro or two with me, it's been great for watching myself fly later and seeing areas where I need some polish.

I fly out of KLOU also, I'm working on building some XC time for my IR. I've flown safety pilot in the past for a friend doing his IFR currency flights. If you ever need a safety pilot, feel free to PM me!

Love your video! Is that Cherokee yours or a rental? I always have my GoPro or two with me, it's been great for watching myself fly later and seeing areas where I need some polish.

I fly out of KLOU also, I'm working on building some XC time for my IR. I've flown safety pilot in the past for a friend doing his IFR currency flights. If you ever need a safety pilot, feel free to PM me!

Thanks. I always wonder how these are received. My primary motivation is self-critique as well. Did the same thing during primary.

It's a club, Bowman Field Flying Club, plane. I've got about 10 hours to fill and will definitely be needing a safety pilot. I'll have to check the club rules on who can act in that capacity. Ocassionally, I'll rent from LA if the plane is in maintenance.

I’m renting at LA and Cardinal Wings. The schedules are nuts though. I’ve submitted an application to join Thoroughbred Flying Club at JVY. Looks like the ratio of pilots to planes will be better there.

I’m renting at LA and Cardinal Wings. The schedules are nuts though. I’ve submitted an application to join Thoroughbred Flying Club at JVY. Looks like the ratio of pilots to planes will be better there.

Those full schedules certainly pushed me towards the club. One plane, 12 members. Probably half of us fly regularly.

Thoroughbred is a good club. I looked at them when they first started with the old CAP 172. They've really grown. I was surprised that they relo'd to JVY.

Back