Carb heat box cable bracket broken C85; repair / replace?

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
I still need to get my A&P to see the plane but I had the bracket that secures the carb heat cable sheath break off today making the carb heat inop. In planning for the mechanic’s visit, I like to get as many parts and supplies ready as I can since I’m not going to fly this out to a shop.

This is a C85 in an Ercoupe BTW.

Is this something that can fabricated and attached with a screw going into the airbox or does the whole air box typically need to be replaced? Also, there is a ton of play (behaves like holes too big or shaft too small) about the pivot for the interval flapper works leading me to believe that it needs to be rebuilt as well (tried to post video but it won’t upload).

Just looking for advice on the likely parts sourcing side so I can be prepared and minimize downtime.

Thx

Attachments

• 87C9C5E7-EE0D-49E3-90D9-01517AA1FCC8.jpeg
    87C9C5E7-EE0D-49E3-90D9-01517AA1FCC8.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 25
I think a guy could reliably spot weld a new locally fabricated bracket back on.

The normal repair I see a lot is a Doubler brassed to the arm.

I think a guy could reliably spot weld a new locally fabricated bracket back on.
Spot welders are rare most A&Ps don't have them, most air box repairs are brassed with a OXY/ACE torch.

As an aside, I don't believe I've shared this here before...

Carb box: mine had numerous significant cracks in it 15 years ago when I bought my plane, missed on the pre-buy inspection I presume. I had a local welding shop weld the cracks (the guy was a great aluminum welder, he practiced on beer cans...literally), I then added the stiffening kit, and had my prop dynamically balanced to reduce future vibration. The weld cost me $25. What I saved on the carb box rebuild more than paid for the prop balance.

My airbox issues happened in the old CPA days (2004). I posted about it there before taking action. I was told by the "experts" there that you can't weld on an airbox; airbox aluminum is not the tpye that can be welded; it'll never last; it'll set up stresses; it'll repeatedly crack in other areas; etc. etc...

I took these opinions to the welder and he just laughed. "I don't care if it comes off of an airplane or a trash truck, I can weld it, I can stress relieve it, I can make it work for you and make it last"

He did. 15 years and 1800 hours later (almost 1/2 the aircraft's total time), it's still perfect.

Now, that doesn't address the "legality" of my fix. I'm really not sure if it's legal or not (an A&P did indeed R&R and sign off). And, honestly, I Don't Care!
wink.gif

Back