Rough River Kentucky Fly-in 2020 - April 23-26

Well this is shaping up to be a fun one. For those that are a bit more far flung, perhaps a ride with 150 of your closest friends to kmem, KORD, kstl, or katl and then someone could pick you.

...I had planned to attend this year until "ruler of all within reach"-the other title on our tax return, told me I was going to a friends' kids' wedding...

Which proves yet again weddings are for everyone else BUT the bride and groom.

Didn't make it this year, but making this post just to remind me when next year comes around (since it'll notify me now...lol)

I'd actually go with you if we could carpool in yours. I can knock out my ME rating before then so I can play safety pilot if need be.

You realize that's 1673 nm direct from RNT. If we actually pull this off we might be coming from the furthest away.

You realize that's 1673 nm direct from RNT. If we actually pull this off we might be coming from the furthest away.
Oh for sure, I've been looking at it on Skyvector. We just need good VFR over the rockies, and a 100kt tailwind both ways, but i'm serious, I'd go next year if we can share the flight, and I'll even meet at your airport to shave a little off the trip for you.

We'll also have the best beer on board. guaranteed.

By the time we get over the Rockies it will be at the perfect temperature too! It might not make it all the way to KY. :drool:

Oh for sure, I've been looking at it on Skyvector. We just need good VFR over the rockies, and a 100kt tailwind both ways, but i'm serious, I'd go next year if we can share the flight, and I'll even meet at your airport to shave a little off the trip for you.

I'm giving it serious consideration. It's not like we don't have enough advance notice of the dates or any other excuse. :D

I wonder if there's anybody else from this region that's interested?

Last edited:
Brent Douglas and Phil Stone, disc jockeys on KMOD-FM, a rock radio station, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, created the Roy D. Mercer character in 1993. Initially, they used the character on comedy sketches for the radio station. Originally, the prank call sketches were a part of KMOD's morning show. By 1997, Capitol Records Nashville began issuing the sketches on compact disc. Twelve Roy D. Mercer compilation albums have been released on the Capitol and Virgin Records labels. A Virgin Records Nashville executive noted that Mercer's early albums managed to sell between 250,000 and 300,000 copies, primarily due to word of mouth, without any promotion to consumers or radio airplay of the album tracks.

In most of the sketches, Mercer will demand that the recipient of a call pay him money for some incident, and if the recipient refuses, he will threaten them with violence (usually an "ass-whuppin'"). Mercer has been described as speaking with "a mush-mouthed Southern drawl" and his style of comedy has been described as "not exactly obscene ... [but] border[ing] on offensive". Many of the recipients of the calls are suggested by their friends who supply Mercer with information about the potential recipients...

Thanks for that. I guess being from Tucson, I was listening to another radio station. ;)

Who’s gonna be in charge of hiring the strippers?

We don't expect you Millennials to lift your eyes up from your phones long enough to notice that sort of thing. :D
That’s the one thing that I’ll take my eyes off of my phone for. After that... I’ll go back to sitting in the corner and staring at my phone for the remaining time at the fly-in.

I probably drank my weight in Oly when stationed near Fairbanks, but at $1.25 per six pack is was less expensive than Coke. At one point the other "dorm maggots" started calling it Duck **** because they had been by the Olympia Brewery and saw ducks in the pond out front. Go figure.

Probably some 3 magnets from Olympia, some Pfreim from Hood River, OR and then a sampling of some Seattle brews, depending on what the crowd likes.

A classic from the '70s. Anybody still drink this stuff out your way since Pabst bought the brewery and shut it down?

A classic from the '70s. Anybody still drink this stuff out your way since Pabst bought the brewery and shut it down?

I loved those commercials as a kid.

Yes, Rainier is the local hipster equivalent to Pabst for that set. Pabst is a lot more drinkable IMO, but Rainier still feels like a hometown beer. It was also featured in "Longmire", which is close enough to your parts.

Most of the folks out here that drink beer are into finding fun/delicious IPA microbrews if they aren't just going for volume (ie Bud light)

Maybe someone from MSP can bring a few cases of Grain Belt that we can trade. My uncle brought some back from a trip and it was very "crushable" ;)
I could do that if I go

Well this is shaping up to be a fun one. For those that are a bit more far flung, perhaps a ride with 150 of your closest friends to kmem, KORD, kstl, or katl and then someone could pick you.

I'll have a seat out of KHSV.

It's on our calendar! We'll bring Birdie. Do I need to go look at old event threads to figure out where to book accommodations, etc.?

Let me find the number.
There is an incredibly nice young lady that will help. She is very verbose so you will learn a lot about each other.

Tell them you are with POA and I believe it is a 10% discount.

...As I just bought an Ercoupe, there will likely be one less POA taxi if the weather is VFR during the 2020 Event.

View attachment 78300

Cheers

Nice! Congrats! More pictures please!!!

I think that's the first time I've seen an "all star" Ercoupe. :D
Did I say more pictures!!!

Need to wait to see if I get to keep my medical.

Looking forward to it!

Back