WINGSPAR INSPECTION/REMOVAL/INSTALLATION - ANYONE IN WPB, FL?

ZackJ

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
inferno8428
Hey guys -know anyone that can do a quick wingspar inspection and not break the bank?
Also someone that can potentially remove wings - and install them back Inbox me!

Hey guys -know anyone that can do a quick wingspar inspection and not break the bank?
Also someone that can potentially remove wings - and install them back Inbox me!

Aircraft make & model? Location?

Smells like spam in here!

Pa28-161 1982 piper warrior, west Palm Beach, FL and no not spam...

Any good A&P can do this. Best bet is to find a shop that specializes in major structural repair - they know how to do it right. You pay for what you get.

If this is the proposed AD, then hold off a bit.

The backseat of most cherokees is just sitting on the spar. You can remove the seats with only a bit of trouble, making 3 sides of the spar easily accessible. The bottom of the spar, well, that's where the little holes on the bottom of the wing and fuselage come into play. Next question - what type of inspection of the spar? Visual only? Something more comprehensive? In Florida, I'd worry about corrosion, which is why you're probably looking for an inspection.

Corrosion is my issue - I’ve been told it’s fine but for peace of mind I’d like to get it done and repaired if necessary.

Corrosion is my issue - I’ve been told it’s fine but for peace of mind I’d like to get it done and repaired if necessary.
There's a couple Piper Service Bulletins that address spar corrosion: SB1006 and SB1304. SB1304 has an open docket on becoming an AD note. It would be better to have the mechanic/shop follow these SBs to correct the corrosion issues in case either one becomes involved in a possible AD. It won't guarantee using these current SBs will offer 100% relief of the proposed AD, but odds are it will or at least provide an established procedure and sign off.

https://www.barteltaviation.com/pdf/Piper/PiperSB1006.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/pipercrm/Solution/18990/SB_1304.pdf

"quick wingspar inspection". As opposed to what, a proper wingspar inspection?

edit: PS, I have a flashlight and a mirror, I can do a "quick wingspar inspection". It will be worth what you pay for it.

Peace of mind would be worth it in a Florida based plane, to me.
It could possibly satisfy the AD if it comes about.
Also if you decide to sell, it could be attractive to a buyer, if it's documented.... depending on how long it's been.

There is a shop in Fort Pierce that does this and other major work all the time, but usually bigger planes, although I saw them fixing a Mooney. They are constantly getting planes delivered on trailers.
I’ve seen the AP there do smaller planes (including experimentals) as well.

Tom

Back