What is your "CI?" Cylinder Index

All I know is that if I really wanted to feel good about myself in this pseudo-dick-measuring contest, I'd probably need to buy an Excalibur Queen Air or three... I only have 16 between the cars (8), tractor (2), and airplane (6), and all of my other stuff is electric.

All I know is that if I really wanted to feel good about myself in this pseudo-dick-measuring contest, I'd probably need to buy an Excalibur Queen Air or three... I only have 16 between the cars (8), tractor (2), and airplane (6), and all of my other stuff is electric.

You really ought to do a better job of increasing your carbon footprint. Here's a formula. Buy my old Kenworth (it's for sale):

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvd/d/kansas-city-1988-kenworth-k100-cabover/6833394387.html

Then get this Detroit 12V71 Marine engine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detroit-Di...h=item46782df674:g:E7wAAOSwN3Nb4gAF:rk:1:pf:0

And put it in. What you really should do is get a 2-stick 6x4 transmission and then you'd have arguably the most manliest vehicle among us all.

You really ought to do a better job of increasing your carbon footprint. Here's a formula. Buy my old Kenworth (it's for sale):

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvd/d/kansas-city-1988-kenworth-k100-cabover/6833394387.html

Then get this Detroit 12V71 Marine engine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detroit-Di...h=item46782df674:g:E7wAAOSwN3Nb4gAF:rk:1:pf:0

And put it in. What you really should do is get a 2-stick 6x4 transmission and then you'd have arguably the most manliest vehicle among us all.
The way you described that truck, I would think stuff would start breaking around 400 HP, and it might burst into flames just seeing a 600+ nameplate.

Those of us with “reasons”(tm) for too many vehicles self selected to answer first, and create peer pressure for the “sane” (patent pending) to stay away from the thread. :D

14. i'm pathetic

8 truck
1 wife's electric car with backup generator onboard (i3)
weedeater, chainsaw, genset, wood chipper, lawn mower. I think that's it

Need to add 12 more

The 42 answer was supposed to be a joke because, well....42. But when I count...
V6 x 3 = 18
O540 = 6 (24)
V8 = .....well...8 (32)
I5 - 37
Lawn tractor 38
Chainsaw 39
Weed whip 40
Generator 41
Snowblower 42

That's everything that's running. I have an old Suzuki TS(?)125 and a Yamaha MX80 that haven't run in years which would make it 44. Sold the CBR last year.

The way you described that truck, I would think stuff would start breaking around 400 HP, and it might burst into flames just seeing a 600+ nameplate.

You’re giving it too much credit. Remember, the wheels literally fell off of it with the gutless wonder of an engine it had.

Soul, not sole! Engines have spirits too, damnit! Get off my lawn!

And, how coincidental that the answer to life the universe and everything is also the average CI.

With a larger property, 4 drivers on my insurance, boats, airplanes, and then a second large property that I share with aging family, I got to triple digits pretty fast. Lots of V-8's in the mix. Good thing I don't have a job. Or not. Maintenance used to be fun, now starting to get bothersome: I am actually buying everyday vehicles with less than 100k miles on them these days.

Maintenance used to be fun, now starting to get bothersome: I am actually buying everyday vehicles with less than 100k miles on them these days.

I've been finding similar. I'm getting to where I don't want to have to wrench on the daily drivers, I just want to drive them. Then I want to have other vehicles that I wrench on where the wrenching isn't a requirement for keeping the daily household tasks taken care of. I've even paid shops to work on the Mercedes a few times.

It's been working out well.

Yeah. I haven't worked on my wife's or my car in several years. But I enjoy helping my kids work on theirs. If I had the time and garage space a kit or interesting old car might be fun. Since neither of those is true I'll just stick with fun to drive.

giphy.gif

Her car: 4
Truck: 8
Plane: 6

CI score of 18...
to be decreased in the near future as truck (8) gets traded in for truck (4)... to be a measly 14

Jeep Commander - 8
Jeep Wrangler - 6
Ford Escape - 4
Boat outboard - 1
Leaf blower - 1
Chain saw - 1
String trimmer - 1

Total CI - 22

I didn't include the club airplanes because I'm not responsible for maintenance, just flying them. :p

Her car: 4
Truck: 8
Plane: 6

CI score of 18...
to be decreased in the near future as truck (8) gets traded in for truck (4)... to be a measly 14

Meh. Too many cylinders means too much time spent maintaining your cylinders instead of going flying. We should get together and talk over our lack of cylinders over a $100 hamburger soon!

Meh. Too many cylinders means too much time spent maintaining your cylinders instead of going flying. We should get together and talk over our lack of cylinders over a $100 hamburger soon!
I should be out of annual by the end of next week, the following at the very latest. Let's do it!

14. i'm pathetic

8 truck
1 wife's electric car with backup generator onboard (i3)
weedeater, chainsaw, genset, wood chipper, lawn mower. I think that's it

Need to add 12 more
It’s all good. I am 14 too. Two cars and a plane.

I just increased my CI by 12, and the TI (Turbo Index) went up by two. :D Bought a used car that I think may be the ultimate sleeper. Now I just have to decide how to break the news to my wife that I'm going to sell the pickup. Overall that would be a net +6 CI, and the TI would remain the same.

Truck 8
Boat 8
Car 4
Jetski 2
Mower 1
Blower 1
Genset 1
Outboard motor 2

Total 27

Mower - 0 (electric)
Chainsaw - 0 (ditto)
Weed Wacker - 1
Snow blowers - 2
Car - 4
Airplane - 4
Total 11.
Edit: Fergot the power washer. 1
Total 12.
I have parts for a steam engine under my desk, but that is still under construction, so I assume it doesn't count.

Last edited:
yeah - I know we did this once already but I thought I got in on this one, as well ... apparently not

Sole
Truck 6 (big Cummins cylinders)
Car 6
Jeep 4 (may soon be 8, but that's going to be a "Thinking about a V8 thread")
ATVs(2) 2
Snowmobiles(2) 4
Lawnmower 1
String trimmer 1
Generator 1
Power washer 1
Chainsaws. 2
Snow blower. 1
subtotal 29

1/45 ownership
Dakota 6
Bonanza 6
Saratoga 6
Subtotal 18
pct share 0.4
Total 29.4

Last edited:
Power washer: 0
Blower: 0
Weed whacker: 0
Chainsaw: 0
Pole saw: 0
Trimmer: 0

I'm hoping to zero out a few more. My car's 4 rarely get used (it's a Volt). Hopefully both cars will be fully electric within 5 years. Next thing to go will be the lawn tractor, hopefully. I could deal with an electric snowblower right now, but instead I have a 46" snowblower on the tractor, just to keep it running all year long so I don't have to pickle it. The problem is, there isn't a great solution for my 2-acre yard that's electric right now. Mean Green has a 60" zero-turn, but it's $11,800. While they've been around for a while, they're not super popular and the ones that do make it to the used market get snapped up in a hurry. That's more than I really want to spend, even though if I bought my tractor and all its attachments new, they'd be easily 50% more than that... But I didn't, I got the whole mess used for about $3K.

Greenworks announced a 60" electric zero-turn last summer, but their web site has a picture of it and "We can't find products matching the selection" when you go to look at it. No pricing info available. There's a YouTube video showing both that and an electric tractor, but I can't find anything else about the tractor. I'm not fond of switching attachments on my tractor, but it might be worth it if there's a big snowblower for this one (mine is 46"). Otherwise, I could just get a walk-behind snowblower and a zero-turn.

Finally, Ryobi keeps making their electric stuff bigger, and they get excellent reviews. They're up to a 42" zero turn this year, which could conceivably do my lawn on a single charge - Their previous offerings stated "up to two hours and two acres" and since I'm right on the edge of that, I wouldn't do it. This one says 3 acres, and that 50% buffer should be plenty for my needs. The biggest problem with it is that 42" is a lot smaller than 60". If I'm being expeditious, I can get my lawn done in a hair over an hour with the 60", so it'd likely be most of two hours with only a 42" (accounting for the slight overlap necessary to not miss anything).

But, we're getting there. Maybe in another year or three the tractor can go away. I won't miss it, the dang thing is super noisy and smelly and I spend an awful lot of time and money maintaining it.

The airplane, I'm not expecting to be able to replace with something electric in my lifetime. Right now, I can use full power (280hp/209kW) to climb to 10,000 feet in 10 minutes and 20-25nm and thereafter fly at 65% (182hp/136kW) for 7 hours to dry tanks. That's a total of 987kWh that I can do on a single tank, pretty close to 1 mWh... And then I can fill up and be on my way again in 30-60 minutes. That battery size is what Tesla is going to use on their semi! And, last I checked, the battery alone would weigh more than my plane's max gross weight (3368 lb). Energy density is around 200wH/kg for the very latest in battery tech, so a 1mWh battery would be a mere 11,000 pounds. There's going to have to be something big and groundbreaking to make this happen, not to mention a major change in infrastructure - Even Tesla's new "v3" Superchargers would take 4 hours to charge a pack that big.

Now, I've never flown a leg longer than about 5 hours in the Mooney. Gotta get up and stretch the legs now and then. We could easily cut the battery size in half, figure 3.5 hour legs with a smaller reserve since you don't have to worry about fuel unporting. Even so, you're going to have to cut the battery weight down by 80% to match the weight of the engine and full fuel, and it'll still take two hours to charge, so we'll need to double if not quadruple the charging speed. Clearly, a difficult challenge even if you ignore all the other aspects like certification, cost, infrastructure build-out, etc. So, hopefully I'll keep at least six cylinders running for a long time to come. ;)

I just increased my CI by 12, and the TI (Turbo Index) went up by two. :D Bought a used car that I think may be the ultimate sleeper. Now I just have to decide how to break the news to my wife that I'm going to sell the pickup. Overall that would be a net +6 CI, and the TI would remain the same.

Alright, now you have to tell us what you bought. V12 biturbo Mercedes S-class?

Ram 1500: 8
Chevy 1500: 8
Volvo Xc90: 5
Cherokee 180: 4
Tractor: 3
outboard: 1
Jet ski: 2
4 wheeler: 1
lawnmower: 1
yard blower: 1
weedeater: 1
chainsaw: 1

Total CI: 36

Alright, now you have to tell us what you bought. V12 biturbo Mercedes S-class?
Yep. S600. Low miles, a couple years older than I was hoping for but in extremely good condition. And holy smokes, that thing will get up and move. The other night I felt the traction control kick in... hitting third.

I just totaled up everything again... 42 cylinders, 5 turbos.

Last edited:
Yep. S600. Low miles, a couple years older than I was hoping for but in extremely good condition. And holy smokes, that thing will get up and move. The other night I felt the traction control kick in... hitting third.

Sounds most excellent. Our 2003 E55 Kompressor came with 469 HP from the factory, and with long tube headers I estimate is around 500 HP now. There's a few other things I'd like to do to it. AMG has really put out some fantastic cars this century.

Sounds most excellent. Our 2003 E55 Kompressor came with 469 HP from the factory, and with long tube headers I estimate is around 500 HP now. There's a few other things I'd like to do to it. AMG has really put out some fantastic cars this century.
I was lusting after an E63, but the ones I wanted sold before I could get to them. Then my son found this S600 for about $15K less. It's hard to argue with heated/cooled/massaging seats (all of them) AND would smoke most cars in the quarter mile. :) Of course there's a real danger in scouting cars for someone. The day before I test drove (and bought) this, he bought an E550 he found. He picked me up at the airport in it... that sucker will snap your head back, too.

I was lusting after an E63, but the ones I wanted sold before I could get to them. Then my son found this S600 for about $15K less. It's hard to argue with heated/cooled/massaging seats (all of them) AND would smoke most cars in the quarter mile. :) Of course there's a real danger in scouting cars for someone. The day before I test drove (and bought) this, he bought an E550 he found. He picked me up at the airport in it... that sucker will snap your head back, too.

Our other Mercedes is a GL550. I think it's just a bit lower displacement and detuned version of the engine in the E63, with a similar transmission. The thing is pretty fast for an SUV (making something around 380-390 HP with good gearing), but it is definitely lacking in torque - something the E55 is not at all. However the GL550 has a DOHC 4-valve/cylinder head and is naturally aspirated, so it really doesn't breathe well until 3,000 RPM.

Shorter version is I think you bought a car that's ultimately more satisfying to drive. With the V12 and twin turbos, I'm sure it has endless torque.

Oh, and my E55 will power through the traction control. It's pretty fun. :)

Stuff I own, not counting stuff I might maintain (4 x Beech 18 would be 72 alone)
3 x PU trucks = 24
3 x car = 20
2 x MC = 3
1 x plane = 4
6 x small stuff = 6
I guess that is all = 57

Shorter version is I think you bought a car that's ultimately more satisfying to drive. With the V12 and twin turbos, I'm sure it has endless torque.
I think so too. Total sleeper. It looks so tame, so unassuming... but it's a rocket, and a butter-smooth rocket at that. I was very surprised at the lack of understeer, too. Granted, I've been driving pickups for a long time... but wow, it's good to be back in something that can corner and move with authority.

Reactions: Ted
Truck 8
Car 4
mower 2
mule 2
bonanza 6
C182 6
PA 46 6
Archer 4

This being an aviation board, it should be an airborn CI. 22

Our other Mercedes is a GL550. I think it's just a bit lower displacement and detuned version of the engine in the E63, with a similar transmission. The thing is pretty fast for an SUV (making something around 380-390 HP with good gearing), but it is definitely lacking in torque - something the E55 is not at all. However the GL550 has a DOHC 4-valve/cylinder head and is naturally aspirated, so it really doesn't breathe well until 3,000 RPM.

Oh, and my E55 will power through the traction control. It's pretty fun. :)
So, I spent a little time this week sorting through a few gremlins that needed killing. Non-functional cruise control; there was a bad radar sensor. The replacement part was in a box in the car, but not installed. I didn't know there were four of them, so the scan tool helped tell which one to replace. Now I have cruise control again. ABS/ESP control connector needed a clean & reseat. Intercooler pump was bad, so I replaced that and filled/bled the intercooler system -- it's a completely separate system on the V12. All in all, not bad considering the price I paid for the car and its incredible comfort and performance. We'll see how the gas mileage is now that it's not sucking down 180 degree air. I'm looking forward to getting in a little road test driving this weekend.

Since we made a trade, I thought I'd dredge this up, both to give an update and to invite new members to participate.

This part is unchanged from three years ago:

My car: 4, plus an electric motor that doesn't count (2.0l inline 4)
Daughter #1's car: 4 (2.0l inline 4)
Daughter #2's car: 4 (1.5l turbocharged inline 4)
Boat: 2 x 4 (two 1.8l inline 4's)
Waverunner: 4 (1.8l inline 4)
Lawn mower: 1
Edger: 1
Chainsaw: 1

This was added last year:
Pressure Washer: 1

And my wife's car (3.5 l V6) has been replaced with one that has a 2.5l inline 4 with a hybrid system. I'm guessing that was the end of us having any engines with more than four cylinders. Daughter #1 still lives with us occasionally, what she does for a living is seasonal for now, though that should be over in a couple more years. Daughter #2 has a few more years of schooling as well, so I'm including both of their cars. So we have 7 4 cylinder engines and four singles, so that makes 32.

We’ve made a few changes as well.

My car: 6
Wife’s SUV: 6
Pickup: 6
Push mower: 1
Riding mower: 2
Weed whacker: 1
Edger: 1
Leaf blower : 1
Power washer: 1

Here’s where it gets sticky. There’s the airplane with 4, but I’m only 1/4 owner, so do I get to count all 4 or only the one? And I’ve got a compressor with two more, but it’s driven by an electric motor. Do they count?

So either 26, or 29, or 31 total. And the turbo index is down to three.

Oh. Wait. I just remembered there’s an R/C .40 in the basement, so there’s one more.

Edit: Oh crap!! How could I have forgotten the 289 sitting on the engine stand in the garage? I literally look at it every single day. +8, for somewhere between 35 and 40 depending on how you count them...

Last edited:
Well crap I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. This is going to take a while.

22 chevy pickup 8
97 chevy pickup 8
01 Suburban 8
22 Van 6
Triumph rocket 3
Sportster 2
Boat 8
Airplane 6
ATV 2
2x semis 12
Combine 6
3x big tractors 18