New member intro: Last time as PIC was 1999

Dave-C

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Hi all,
Been reading the POA posts for the last couple months and thought here would be a good place to do a new member intro. Now 57 years old in North San Diego and once I receive my newly ordered, first ever pair of prescription glasses I will schedule my medical.

Became a VFR pilot in 1994 out of SNA (Royal Aviation) and also flew out of CRQ and MYF until 1999 with ~310 total hours. Really didn't intend to go on hiatus for so long, but that's the way it works sometimes. I was a member of Pacific Coast Flyers and Plus One Flyers back then and it looks like they are still doing great today. Back then it was paper charts and I had a Magellan Skyblazer XL (loved it), so getting caught up on technology will be a steep learning curve but looking forward to it even though the last Apple I owned was a IIc. I'd like to jump into complex as soon as, or even part of, getting recurrent and then IFR training after. Will also consider buying an Arrow or Mooney in the next two or three years, but we'll see how it goes. I'll have a few questions about ownership and partnerships.

Anyway, I'll likely just be a sponge here for awhile, but maybe I'll be able to contribute to the forum some day.
Dave

Welcome ,took a long vacation myself. since coming back have purchased several aircraft ,and received my ATP. My main theme is flying is supposed to be fun.

Hi all,
Been reading the POA posts for the last couple months and thought here would be a good place to do a new member intro. Now 57 years old in North San Diego and once I receive my newly ordered, first ever pair of prescription glasses I will schedule my medical.

Became a VFR pilot in 1994 out of SNA (Royal Aviation) and also flew out of CRQ and MYF until 1999 with ~310 total hours. Really didn't intend to go on hiatus for so long, but that's the way it works sometimes. I was a member of Pacific Coast Flyers and Plus One Flyers back then and it looks like they are still doing great today. Back then it was paper charts and I had a Magellan Skyblazer XL (loved it), so getting caught up on technology will be a steep learning curve but looking forward to it even though the last Apple I owned was a IIc. I'd like to jump into complex as soon as, or even part of, getting recurrent and then IFR training after. Will also consider buying an Arrow or Mooney in the next two or three years, but we'll see how it goes. I'll have a few questions about ownership and partnerships.

Anyway, I'll likely just be a sponge here for awhile, but maybe I'll be able to contribute to the forum some day.
Dave

Welcome back to the sky and welcome to buttonology. Have fun

Welcome back! About the only thing that'll shock you compared to '99 is the price of 100LL. :eek:

Getting caught up on technology doesn't have to be done all at once. It turns out, they still print paper charts and and watches still run...Amazing, isn't it?

Although, Foreflight with GPS and ADS-B in on an iPad still makes me shake my head in amazement.

and once I receive my newly ordered, first ever pair of prescription glasses I will schedule my medical.

Give it a couple weeks so you and your eyes adjust to the new glasses.

And welcome to the site..!!

Welcome back!

Like others have said, fuel has gone up, avionics are... well... amazing, but the planes? They still fly the same.

Thanks for all the welcomes. As far as the cost of things, I'd say everything is about double what it was 20 years ago but at least I'm a little better able to pay the price now (barely). In addition to my vintage (1994) Skyblazer GPS we were just talking about how amazing the Magellan EC-10x was that we also used at the time, this being a mono-LCD tablet type moving map & data base. It was $2000 back then! So an iPad + Foreflight are truly relative bargains.

Give it a couple weeks so you and your eyes adjust to the new glasses.

Regarding the new glasses, I'm hoping to pass my medical without them. My eyes are borderline, right around 20-40/50 but I'll have the Rx pair in pocket just in case.

I started in 2000. We've replaced the radios in the 172 that I flew then (and do now) with a Garmin 430W, but otherwise it's still a C-172N. And I still carry current paper charts. Batteries don't die. Display hybrids don't die. They just work.

Welcome back to aviation!

Back