Shaw AFB, Class C -- AND D?

Stephen Poole

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Professor31
Still learnin' and studyin' here. Someone e'splain to me how an airport can be both a Class C and a Class D at the same time. Or am I reading the sectional incorrectly? There's a reference to NOTAMs on the chart; do they actually declare themselves a "C" or "D" at different times?

Hmmm.

EDIT: sorry, for those who don't know -- this is KSSC, Shaw Air Force Base, Sumter, SC.

Something isn’t passing the logic check here. Tower and C hours are different, but the Towers are within the C’s, never outside

When the CCA is effective, the tower is within the CCA surface area. When the CCA is no effective, but CDA is, the tower is in the CDA surface area.

Something isn’t passing the logic check here. Tower and C hours are different, but the Towers are within the C’s, never outside

I could dismiss that by saying, "well, it's the military." :)

I was just a little surprised. I thought that an airport was class B, C, or D, period, as decreed by the FAA. Some in-depth reading found something about reverting to a lower class if "approach control" isn't operating. Now I get to puzzle that one out ...

Hey, this larnin' stuff is fun.

When the CCA is effective, the tower is within the CCA surface area. When the CCA is no effective, but CDA is, the tower is in the CDA surface area.

Part of the larnin' for any new pilot is all of these abbreviations. I had to look up CCA and CDA. Edit: still can't figure it out. What do those stand for?

I could dismiss that by saying, "well, it's the military." :)

I was just a little surprised. I thought that an airport was class B, C, or D, period, as decreed by the FAA. Some in-depth reading found something about reverting to a lower class if "approach control" isn't operating. Now I get to puzzle that one out ...

Hey, this larnin' stuff is fun.

Yeah. It usually isn’t about Approach not operating, it’s about the Tower going home. It reverts to E because they want you to comply with 1000/500/3 cloud clearance requirements even though the Tower is closed, so an E Surface Area is established. There must be Certified Weather Observation for this to happen. Sometimes it reverts to G when the Weather Observer is the Tower guy and there is no other Certified Weather Observation there.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to get my head wrapped around this. If it’s not a Charting and Publishing error, the best I can come up with is this. Dude who owns the airport says I don’t want no stinking airplanes flyin over my airport below 2500 when I’m not there. So I’m calling it a Class D and want that charted and published. There won’t be no one there to establish communication with so they can’t go in there. I want the radius of the D to be different than the Core of the C so you have to actually put that dashed blue line on the Chart so everyone can see it. @Stephen Poole , forget this place for awhile as your learning about airspace. Come back to it later after you got the basics

Last edited:
When the Class D was created, the tower was open 24-hours. Now the tower and approach control both operate 1200Z - 0400Z, so the Class D would not be effective unless by notam. They need to change their Chart Supplement entry to say "other times by notam."

upload_2019-5-18_14-22-52.png

When the Class D was created, the tower was open 24-hours. Now the tower and approach control both operate 1200Z - 0400Z, so the Class D would not be effective unless by notam. They need to change their Chart Supplement entry to say "other times by notam."

View attachment 74218

Yup. @Stephen Poole , ya still here, your questions should be answered now

Yup. @Stephen Poole , ya still here, your questions should be answered now

Yes, indeed. Thank you, @kkoran.

Incidentally, the reason I posted that question here was because Google and other research wasn't showing me much. I wasn't sure where to look or what search terms to use. Even putting Shaw AFB and KSSC in the search field, Google just wants to return info about airspace classes, which I've got a good handle on. Shaw surprised me, is all.

I'm pretty good at sorting through cruft. I've already learned the names of some people here that can be trusted with info. (But I won't say that there are others whom I question. That would be ... rude, and besides, I'm an self-confessed Newbie.) ;)

Back