MEA’s

TBalch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TBalch
A route I often fly is labeled 9000, and *5700. I have understood this to mean that if I had to navigate using VOR’s, 9000 would be required to give me terrain clearance and a reliable navigation signal. However, if I was equipped with a certified GPS and wanted to use that for navigation, I could go as low as 6000 (westbound).

My question is, if I filed /G, would I be denied a clearance at 6000 if I listed the Victor Airway in my flight plan, rather than just listing the waypoints on either end of that route segment?

Sort of. The * altitude is a MOCA. MOCA gives you terrain clearance over the entire segment and VOR coverage when you're within 25 miles of the VOR on that route. Yes, if you're flying using a GPS, you don't care about VOR reception at all, and can use the MOCA (if cleared to do it). You can fly whatever altitude ATC clears you for. The hemispheric rule doesn't apply to altitudes ATC assigns (though they tend to use the odd/even for practical matters).

If you're not on the airway, neither the MOCA or MEA applies. Different minimum altitudes apply. You need to be 1000 above anything within four miles. For practical matters, you likely will find it difficult getting an off-airway altitude assignment below the MVA. In fact, I've found some facilities want me at a radar visible altitude even if I'm on the airway at or above the MEA. Go figure. Of course, this is the same facility that tells me that they have a new route for me and to advise when ready to copy. When I do so, they clear me direct to my destination. I had to copy that down?

if I filed /G, would I be denied a clearance at 6000 if I listed the Victor Airway in my flight plan, rather than just listing the waypoints on either end of that route segment?

Nope... They'll happily give that to you, provided there isn't some sort of LOA or preferred route that would have you going a different way in that area. Using the MOCA in this manner can be very helpful in mountains, or for staying low and out of ice when necessary.

Sort of. The * altitude is a MOCA. MOCA gives you terrain clearance over the entire segment and VOR coverage when you're within 25 miles of the VOR on that route.
22nm

A route I often fly is labeled 9000, and *5700. I have understood this to mean that if I had to navigate using VOR’s, 9000 would be required to give me terrain clearance and a reliable navigation signal. However, if I was equipped with a certified GPS and wanted to use that for navigation, I could go as low as 6000 (westbound).

My question is, if I filed /G, would I be denied a clearance at 6000 if I listed the Victor Airway in my flight plan, rather than just listing the waypoints on either end of that route segment?

Like @flyingron said, you can't say for sure if you would be denied or not. But they can do it. GPS is a GNSS. Here's their rules on it:

a. An aircraft may be cleared below the MEA but
not below the MOCA for the route segment being
flown if the altitude assigned is at least 300 feet above
the floor of controlled airspace and one of the
following conditions are met:
NOTE−
Controllers must be aware that in the event of radio
communications or GNSS failure, a pilot will climb to the
MEA for the route segment being flown.

1. For aircraft using VOR, VORTAC or
TACAN for navigation, this applies only within 22
miles of that NAVAID.

2. When radar procedures are used, the
following actions are taken:
(a) In the absence of a published MOCA,
assign altitudes at or above the MVA or MIA along
the route of flight, and
(b) Lost communications instructions are
issued.

3. The aircraft is GNSS equipped.

Thanks for all the responses.

Loveflyin and cheesehead, you answered my question. Thanks.

Back